What's causing this?

Ayoralyn

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone.

I've been having some problems regarding video glitches in Diablo 3 over the last couple of days. I've taken some screenshots and will provide them at the end of this thread. The card I'm using is a EVGA SuperClocked GTX 570. It idles at around 50 degrees celsius, and when working, around 80 degrees. My fan speed is automatic, and it keeps to hold it about there. I can however get it to about 60-65 degrees if I manually set the fan speed to about 75%.

Anyways, on to the problem. Summer just hit Denmark, so it's getting a lot hotter then what it used to be, that's why I think it's overheating, although I've been told countless times that 80 degrees shouldn't really be a problem. I do believe that, but I can't shake the feeling I have that it's still the problem. My video glitches started happening the day of, or the day after, the first official summer day (The first day any one place in Denmark hits 25 degrees), and it hasn't stopped since. However, the glitches seem to continue to come though, even if I lower the graphics, and up my fan speed to keep it a lot cooler then 80 degrees.

Most of the pictures talk for themselves, but I will provide a short description for those that don't:

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5
Picture 6 (Colors are all weird)
Picture 7 (This is one of the worst case scenarios I hit some times, making the game unplayable)
Picture 8 (Terrain missing)

Now, up until 10 minutes ago, this was "fixed" by alt tabbing in and out of the game, and I could usually go on for a little while again. It is however always very random at how long. Some times I can play for half and hour, maybe even an hour before seeing anything, other times I am barely back into the game before I see it again.

This is a replacement card I got from EVGA due to problems with the one I bought myself. I haven't had that kind of problem since, but now this is showing up.

Also, depending on what the problem is, should I be worried about playing more? Or should I hold back until it is resolved due to chance of permanent damage?

Anyways, can anyone tell me if this is my video card being funny? Overheating? Something else? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Try a clean install of the driver. A full remove and reinstall with reboots in between. If the problem still exists after that a full machine reload may be in order to rule out any software issues.

Before doing any of this open the case and clean it out. I mean all the dust bunnies and fans.

It seems like render errors to me. The game is pushing the card hard and it's not able to keep up which most likely indicates the chip is failing.

It seems like render errors to me. The game is pushing the card hard and it's not able to keep up which most likely indicates the chip is failing.

If the chip is failling, what exactly would that mean? Does it mean that I'm not good enough at keeping it clean? Case is too hot? Or does it mean I need to get the card replaced?

Thanks for the answer though, I will try a clean reinstall of the drivers. I would like to avoid the Windows reinstall, but if it comes to it, I will do it.

If the chip is failling, what exactly would that mean? Does it mean that I'm not good enough at keeping it clean? Case is too hot? Or does it mean I need to get the card replaced?

Thanks for the answer though, I will try a clean reinstall of the drivers. I would like to avoid the Windows reinstall, but if it comes to it, I will do it.

It means you might have to replace the card but we're far from that as it stands right now. We need to rule out the software first.

It means you might have to replace the card but we're far from that as it stands right now. We need to rule out the software first.

Alright. Thanks for the answer. I'll try the reinstalling of stuff in an hour or so, then see what happens!

Just wanted to update you that I did a system reinstall, been playing for about an hour and a half, so far no problems. It's a tad sluggish at times, but I don't mind at all. It's nothing compared to before. So thanks a bunch for the suggestion :)

Back