Whats better Samsung 840 EVO or 840 Pro?

The pro is both faster and will take much longer to wear out. However most users will not notice the performance difference and wear leveling makes these drives have expected lifetimes of over a decade under normal desktop usage so its not like most will care about the longer expected lifetime. The evo has software ( RAPID) that allows you to increase write performance by caching writes and delaying them for a few seconds (at the expense of data corruption if power was lost with dirty data in the cache). The pro currently does not have this software however primo cache allows you to do the same with any SSD or even an hard disk..

http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/download.html

and another one shows up, goes "HALP!" and provides ZERO info.

What capacity are you looking at? What price range did you have in mind?

and another one shows up, goes "HALP!" and provides ZERO info.

What capacity are you looking at? What price range did you have in mind?

HALP!11!!!! :)

250 Gb ...and roughly around $200...you guys should really be telling me that I need a newer mobo chipset with native (intel) SATA 3 ports to take advantage of the bandwidth. :p

I plan to upgrade sometime but I just haven't felt the need to jump off my i7 930 as of yet.

My plan was to use it to install windows 8.1 and give it a try for now.

you guys should really be telling me that I need a newer mobo chipset with native (intel) SATA 3 ports to take advantage of the bandwidth.

You do need native Intel or AMD SATA III ports (or an expensive SAS controller) to get the full bandwith of an SATA III ssd however remember that most desktop applications read and write in much smaller chunks (and do not have a very high queue depth) so 90% of your reads and writes native SATA II ports will not be a bottleneck.

For example look at game benchmarks how many of them are over 300 MB/s?

Whats better Samsung 840 EVO or 840 Pro?
:confused:

The 840 Pro is pretty much the best SSD on the consumer market right now.

HALP!11!!!! :)

250 Gb ...and roughly around $200...you guys should really be telling me that I need a newer mobo chipset with native (intel) SATA 3 ports to take advantage of the bandwidth. :p

I plan to upgrade sometime but I just haven't felt the need to jump off my i7 930 as of yet.

My plan was to use it to install windows 8.1 and give it a try for now.

For your scenario considering price and motherboard, I would probably go with the EVO. It is roughly $40+ cheaper. In reality, you probably aren't going to notice much of a difference in everyday things between the EVO and the Pro. So it really depends on whether you need the absolute best or not. And I actually just swapped out my (2) 256GB RAID of SSDs with one 512GB 840 Pro. I haven't really noticed a huge difference yet. The 840 Pro seems to keep up pretty well with the previous array. The load times are slightly slower, which is to be expected when compared to a RAID, but not by much.

You probably won't notice the difference between the two.. Performance wise they're about the same but the evo has RAPID feature. Because of that I'd think that the EVO would be better if you're not going to do RAID and plus you'll save $$. If you think you'll eventually raid or if you want to raid then the PRO version is the way to go. Also the lifespan of these will last you longer than you'll need. Technically the PRO should last longer because it is MLC, but I don't think that should be a deciding factor unless you really really want to run the same drive for 10+ years.

tldr: Evo... it is cheaper and performance is roughly the same.

edit: Also I just recently installed an 840 EVO in my system (ABIT IP35 Pro) and it's running at SATA II speeds. Without RAPID I max out at around 275 read/write.. However with the RAPID mode enabled I get like 500 to 550 ish read/write speeds (exceeds SataII)... I don't know if the SAMSUNG benchmark is BS'ing me or not but the system is still a lot snappier than my samsung 7200 RPM raid setup. I'm satisfied with my purchase... however I'm wondering if I should have gone with two cheap 120/128 gb SSDs and raid 0 them to kind of get passed the sata ii limitations that way... oh well. The single evo has made my system noticeably more snappier than what I was previously running so I'm satisfied.

Last edited:
I just picked up an Evo at Microcenter today to experiment with. It'll probably end up as a slave data drive for static data. My quest of removing all spinners from my environment is slowly becoming a reality. I think I'll be stuck for another few years on my NAS though. Let's hope this time next year you can get 2TB Evos for $600... And of course 1TB drives for $300. Maybe a bit aggressive.

840PRO its faster than 840EVO, the thing with EVO its they have higher Space.. the max 840PRO its 512GB. while the max 840 EVO its 1TB.. still being competing with 840PRO for more or less 10mb/s in read/Write. nothing that you can notice really and well.. they are cheaper in the same segment vs PRO.

I just picked up an Evo at Microcenter today to experiment with. It'll probably end up as a slave data drive for static data. My quest of removing all spinners from my environment is slowly becoming a reality. I think I'll be stuck for another few years on my NAS though. Let's hope this time next year you can get 2TB Evos for $600... And of course 1TB drives for $300. Maybe a bit aggressive.

Me too almost done replacing in all machines with ssd except media storage/NAS, which the old hdds in Raid still do good at 200~400 MB/s in sequential read. My concern is on the gigabit networking, which is capped at 100~120 MB/s, good enough for me now...

I'm waiting for 840 Evo 1~2 TB to become $250~450 some time in 2014 or 2015, I do need a couple of them as external storage for all system backup images.

So I bought the 840 pro 256 Gb...anything I need to do before I install Windows 8 on it or just make sure AHCI mode is enabled on the SATA port?

Me too almost done replacing in all machines with ssd except media storage/NAS, which the old hdds in Raid still do good at 200~400 MB/s in sequential read. My concern is on the gigabit networking, which is capped at 100~120 MB/s, good enough for me now...

I'm waiting for 840 Evo 1~2 TB to become $250~450 some time in 2014 or 2015, I do need a couple of them as external storage for all system backup images.

Makes ya wish you had 10GbE at the house, doesn't it? :D

The 840 EVO is much better value for money. Almost identical performance to the 840 Pro in terms of sequential reads and writes. However the 840 Pro has much faster random writes and will last longer.

These graphs will tell you everything: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/...w-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested/8

The EVO uses TLC (Triple Level Cell (3 bits)) NAND, wheras the Pro uses MLC (Multi Level Cell (2 bits)) NAND. TLC has about 30% more latency than MLC but TLC is much more efficient to produce, hence sells for a lesser price.

So if you have money, get the 840 Pro.

Otherwise, get the 840 EVO.

Overall, I would go with the 840 EVO since it's the most bang for buck SSD out right now.

Last edited:
Back