What's best pcie usb sata powered riser mining?

Airbrushkid

2[H]4U
What's best pcie usb sata powered riser mining? Just learning and trying to find one . So some video's where they highly say stay a way from molex connectors. And ship within the USA! So any you guys here use risers?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I personally use all VER 007, I would not go less then VER006C because you loose a 4th capacitor to protect your GPU.

Is there anywhere in the USA that I can get them? It seems where ever I look they say shipped from China.

Is there anywhere in the USA that I can get them? It seems where ever I look they say shipped from China.

I would look on Amazon.

Here are the ones I ordered just last week. Came quickly and have been fantastic! I have prime so I just filtered them out and put next day shipping. They got here faster then the expected ship date.

This is the 6 pack I got, on Newegg and ships from US: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAK95TX0268

I only connected 1 GPU so far, but it seems to be working alright (left it mining overnight). Going to connect the other GPUs this morning.

Someone mentioned buying extra risers in case any of them are bad so I got 12 (for 6 GPUs). Maybe that was overboard, but it won't hurt to have some spare parts.

I personally use all VER 007, I would not go less then VER006C because you loose a 4th capacitor to protect your GPU.

Protect it from what? Your PSU? The power going to the GPU is already managed by the GPU's power circuitry, the caps on PCIe lanes are more there to handle low voltage issues on an overtaxed PCIe bus and this doesn't happen when you're feeding power directly from the PSU instead of pushing it across the PCIe mobo lanes.

I still use the home made PCIe extension cables I built and powered myself because powered extensions weren't a thing then and they still work just fine.

I bought a three pack of these PCIe risers using the USB cables and the best thing about them is the flat board you can screw down. I LOVE that. Has me rethinking my cages even if it's a bit of work. Just easier to deal with. But I don't care about the caps. If my PSU is giving off bad voltage I have other issues.

Protect it from what? Your PSU? The power going to the GPU is already managed by the GPU's power circuitry, the caps on PCIe lanes are more there to handle low voltage issues on an overtaxed PCIe bus and this doesn't happen when you're feeding power directly from the PSU instead of pushing it across the PCIe mobo lanes.

I still use the home made PCIe extension cables I built and powered myself because powered extensions weren't a thing then and they still work just fine.

I bought a three pack of these PCIe risers using the USB cables and the best thing about them is the flat board you can screw down. I LOVE that. Has me rethinking my cages even if it's a bit of work. Just easier to deal with. But I don't care about the caps. If my PSU is giving off bad voltage I have other issues.

From my understanding of the several different versions besides the plug being between SATA, MOLEX or 6PIN PCI-e is the capacitors and overall build quality. Where it has been reported on several versions 2-4 have caught fire even with a good PSU due to the crappy job on the PCI-riser circuitry where having the 006c having the extra capacitor if it goes go wrong will help protect the GPU.

That's good to know. Luckily I just happened to order the 006C version (cause that was what Newegg had in the US) and they sent me 007! Winning.

daniel-craig-james-bond.jpg

From my understanding of the several different versions besides the plug being between SATA, MOLEX or 6PIN PCI-e is the capacitors and overall build quality. Where it has been reported on several versions 2-4 have caught fire even with a good PSU due to the crappy job on the PCI-riser circuitry where having the 006c having the extra capacitor if it goes go wrong will help protect the GPU.

I appreciate that information, I've never had the old fashioned ribbon cables do that though ONE did melt pretty nice.

In terms of capacitors, the only time I had a riser fail and take out a video card was when one of the caps exploded.

Never had a power riser without caps cause problems. Or a non powered riser kill a video card.

Just a powered riser with "High quality" chinese caps........

SO. Caps don't always help.

Also on SATA ones, good rule of thumb is to use no more then two on each SATA line or may not give enough power to the GPUs and can cause stability issues.

Also on SATA ones, good rule of thumb is to use no more then two on each SATA line or may not give enough power to the GPUs and can cause stability issues.

That's entirely PSU dependent along with the actual wire gauge. If you're talking three undervolted 480's or 1060's per SATA line, fine. If you're talking three RX 390x's then no, stick to two I agree with you.

And this is why I actively cool everything with external sources, hot wires, hot risers are also an issue. Heat is a killer but all it takes is moving lots of ambient air rapidly over everything . Put your gear in tunnels and use furnace blowers or boxfans (depending on how many rigs you have) to force the temperature down on everything all at once. Even if it's 35c outside that's just fine.

Realize that heat == wasted power. If the wires are getting warm, that means some of the PSU's rated wattage is being wasted on wire resistance generating heat.

If you have the option, find a way of not generating that heat in the first place.

Realize that heat == wasted power. If the wires are getting warm, that means some of the PSU's rated wattage is being wasted on wire resistance generating heat.

If you have the option, find a way of not generating that heat in the first place.

Electrical wiring is *generally* designed for continuous duty cycle at 80% load and heat is a part of it. What it's not designed for is continuous duty cycle at 100% load. In the latter case you can mitigate risk and improve overall performance metrics including longevity with active cooling. The cost of overbuilding something such that there is little to no heat generated from resistance isn't really financially sound. Thus we have funky technology like fans and metal heatsinks for machinery with inductive and resistive loads.

Back