What's best bet MB & Ryzen combo to get 32MB RAM working on 3000ish + ?

Dahkoht

Limp Gawd
Finally given up on ITX build getting 32MB of RAM at decent speeds (unless anyone knows of one that will safely do that ), and finally want to build a Ryzen box for my secondary/work/misc one at home (already have 7700k one for gaming).

Wanted to see if anyone knew of the best bet to currently get for Ryzen/MB to be able to put in 32GB ram (4 or 2 sticks since not waiting on ITX anymore with that much ram) to be able to reliably get 3000/3200 mhz on the ram ?

Appreciate any suggestions/info. Not stressed about getting the CPU extra high OC , mild one will be fine.

I have a 1600 on a Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC with cheap Team Vulcan 3000MHz RAM 2x16GB (Hynix). (CAS 16)
After upgrading the BIOS the day I got it, I was able to set 2933MHz and it booted right up.
Been running it like that ever since. (About 5 months now.)
My CPU overclock kind of sucks though, I can only get to like 3825 with 1.4v, any higher and it starts crashing, but i can set it to 3.7 1.25v and it works fine.

Coming from a 8320E @4.0 I've got to say my encoding times dropped a whole lot ( I do 2 pass encoding) and it puts out less heat!

Last edited:
I have a 1600 on a Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC with cheap Team Vulcan 3000MHz RAM 2x16GB (Hynix). (CAS 16)
After upgrading the BIOS the day I got it, I was able to set 2933MHz and it booted right up.
My CPU overclock kind of sucks though, I can only get to like 3825 with 1.4v, any higher and it starts crashing, but i can set it to 3.7 1.25v and it works fine.

Coming from a 8320E @4.0 I've got to say my encoding times dropped a whole lot ( I do 2 pass encoding) and it puts out less heat!

Thats good mem clocks, but the CPU might just been bad luck on the bin.

Finally given up on ITX build getting 32MB of RAM at decent speeds (unless anyone knows of one that will safely do that ), and finally want to build a Ryzen box for my secondary/work/misc one at home (already have 7700k one for gaming).

Wanted to see if anyone knew of the best bet to currently get for Ryzen/MB to be able to put in 32GB ram (4 or 2 sticks since not waiting on ITX anymore with that much ram) to be able to reliably get 3000/3200 mhz on the ram ?

Appreciate any suggestions/info. Not stressed about getting the CPU extra high OC , mild one will be fine.

I could never get 3000+ stable on my ASUS CH6, but it was working perfectly on my Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, and now on my Crosshair VI Extreme. I'm using 2 sets of G.SKILL Flare X Series (4 x 8GB) F4-3200C14D-16GFX.

I could never get 3000+ stable on my ASUS CH6, but it was working perfectly on my Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, and now on my Crosshair VI Extreme. I'm using 2 sets of G.SKILL Flare X Series (4 x 8GB) F4-3200C14D-16GFX.

Many thanks , exactly what was looking for , will see about getting one of those and that RAM combo.

Many thanks , exactly what was looking for , will see about getting one of those and that RAM combo.

Quick update that has nothing to do with the memory compatibility. I'm back with the Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming. After rebuilding everything (including my water cooling loop), I found out that the USB15 header (the only internal USB 2.0 header) on the CH6 Extreme is not working properly... I must have pissed the ASUS gods at one time since I can't get a 100% working board from them...

Quick update that has nothing to do with the memory compatibility. I'm back with the Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming. After rebuilding everything (including my water cooling loop), I found out that the USB15 header (the only internal USB 2.0 header) on the CH6 Extreme is not working properly... I must have pissed the ASUS gods at one time since I can't get a 100% working board from them...

Lol! That sucks.
I've only heard good things about the ASrock X370/B350 boards. Can't say the same about ASUS.

Lol! That sucks.
I've only heard good things about the ASrock X370/B350 boards. Can't say the same about ASUS.

Actually... Installing this board I was reminded that it’s sometime a good idea to RTFM. :confused:

Having previously used the HERO variant of this board I made some incorrect assumptions. The ROG_EXT (the portion on the right) on the HERO can also be used as an USB2.0 header (header USB1516 in the manual).

I had assumed that this was the same thing on the EXTREME variant, but it’s not. While the right portion of the ROG_EXT can also be used as an USB2.0 header it can only power ONE port (hence the reference to USB15 and not USB1516 in the manual).

Being a complete idiot, I almost returned the motherboard to Newegg. Also, while not being a defect (I think), this could cause problems with some AIO cooler or for users who need to connect 2 devices (e.g. Aquaero + Aquacomputer D5 pump) to one internal USB 2.0 header.

Just as another thanks wanted to say I bought 32 GB of that exact RAM and an Asus VI Crosshair extreme (model with the Wifi as I have two ISP's at home and have it connected to both that way ) , and have been able to get it to 3200 memory speeds with zero issue at all , will be working on tweaking the timings tighter etc but was nice to be able to toss in 32GB and just fire it up and change it to 3200 with no effort at all.

Wow, lucky you. If it's been 5 months then it worked with 1.0.0.5? I haven't been so lucky. Will need to update mine to 1.0.0.6 and give it another go.

I am on the same board and my ram (corsair) won't run higher than 2600. I havent updated the bios in a couple months I think, but it's been a nightmare getting the ram I own to work right on it.
that's not a bad overclock. 3.8-3.9 is about where these chips want to run, there is a pretty hard wall @4ghz from what I have seen.

I have a b350 board from asrock that will run all the ram at rated specs with updating.

Last edited:
Back