Whats an average DL burn speed?

I suppose all newer drives support 8x DL burning. However, you may need some try & error to find a fitting 8x DL media suited for your drive. (telling from my experience)

I got a Lite-On iHAS322 drive from Fry's last week, $39.99 + tax out the door, rated as a 22x (single layer) drive, burns all my 16x media at 20x automagically, and burned an 8x DVD+R DL disc (Ritek media, TDK branded) at 11.96x at the end of the burn, sooo... yeah, the newer/newest drives can most certainly burn DL media at faster than 4. My old Plextor 760A did 8x for DL media easily, as does the older Lite-On I was replacing (and still use), a DH-204AS.

The trick is a decent drive (most anything you can buy nowadays is "decent" even the low cost ones as they almost always end up being Lite-On or LG rebadged drives anyway) and decent media. Those 100 pack DL for $15 (and yes I do mean 100 packs of DL media, not SL) are cheap shit media and to be avoided. DL is still quite expensive compared to SL media which is a given, but it's coming down slowly... very slowly. The TDK 25 pack of that Ritek DL media I grabbed last week was $27 or so, whereas I can get 100 packs of SL media for a few bucks less.

I don't do a lot of DL burning, it's strictly for backups of data when I have a lot. For DVD backups of my retail pressed movies I always hit 'em with DVDShink with high quality settings for DVD5 burning. The picture quality rarely if ever suffers and it's a huge cost savings...

thanks for the input i guess i was expecting my verbatims 2.4x to do a little extra but owell.

Back