What's a really good gaming controller

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
Something silky smooth, natural feeling, and ultra responsive. Also can't decide if I should go buttons or pad for the direction. I had something I got off fleebay a while back and it was working fine until one long weekend of NFS Hot Pursuit, now the direction response is all busted up :D

This is mainly for GTA, I'm currently doing some hardcore modding to GTA Vice City and renovating/adding many parts to the game, including an interstate highway with new cars that are much faster with agile handling, and I also will be playing some more NFS here and there when I take breaks from working on VC. So I'm looking for something superb and that can handle abuse.

So what do yall recommend?

Either the 360 controller (native support with Windows 7 and most PC games now) or the PS3 controller through Bluetooth or USB.

Now there are multiple choices with each (different companies, designs, etc) but those are your two choices.

+1 for the Microsoft wireless controller. First, it just works. The PS3 controller, and others, takes some third party programs to get going and can be finicky at best.

Past that, I find that my guests are less intimidated by the Microsoft controller since its familiar, so they'll dive right into games. I think any other controller is really a roll of the dice unless someone can give you a glowing review of one.

My PS3 controller works great. I use it with the latest version of motionjoy and I have had no problems. It had been a bit quirky in the past but lately it has been great.

Xbox 360 controller. Hands down the best. Except for any fighting games , the D-Pad on the 360 controller sucks ballz.

I use the afterglow controller for 360 and it is an awesome thing to behold when playing PC games.

PS3 controller works with MotionJoy, but it will foobar your Bluetooth drivers on PC.

Xbox 360 wireless for PC is pretty much plug and play. And many games will natively support it.

PC and PS3 can also use hybrids, like these

Pinnacle and Xpadder can provide PC gamepad support for games that only accept mouse/keyboard input.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
PS3 controller works with MotionJoy, but it will foobar your Bluetooth drivers on PC.

Xbox 360 wireless for PC is pretty much plug and play. And many games will natively support it.

PC and PS3 can also use hybrids, like these

Pinnacle and Xpadder can provide PC gamepad support for games that only accept mouse/keyboard input.

just a really dumb question here but why in the world would you want to use a PS3 controller via BT if it screws with your system settings:

DOES NOT COMPUTE

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
just a really dumb question here but why in the world would you want to use a PS3 controller via BT if it screws with your system settings:

DOES NOT COMPUTE

It overrides your bluetooth so you have to use another adapter for something else. It doesn't screw with anything.

Also I have the afterglow controller and it's decent. I can't stand the layout of the 360 controller so it works well enough. I'm not sure why everyone is so pro 360 controller but no one obvously will make anything better.

^ lol so you need 2 adapters to get it to work or your can just plug it in and use the USB...lol which way sounds simpler and works with a minimal amount of fuss...

most of us are pro 360 controller due to it being large enough to actually be used comfortably. PS3 controller (which I have) is made for 12 year old asian girl hands

^ lol so you need 2 adapters to get it to work or your can just plug it in and use the USB...lol which way sounds simpler and works with a minimal amount of fuss...

most of us are pro 360 controller due to it being large enough to actually be used comfortably. PS3 controller (which I have) is made for 12 year old asian girl hands

It uses motionjoy for the bluetooth device exclusively for just the PS3 controllers. You can't connect any other devices to it but PS3 controllers. Motionjoy didn't work very well the last time I used so I'm not sure if anything has changed.

I have very large hands and I still don't like it. I'm trying to adjust but it feels awkward sometimes and the feel of the directional pad is garbage too. I like it for old PS1 games that I don't feel like playing on my PS3 but that's about it.

DOES NOT COMPUTE

I use the 6 foot USB cable for my controller. I don't really plan on playing games on my PC from a distance anyway,

ps3 controller is a much better deal. Comes with rechargeable batteries and you can easily find a long usb and cheap bluetooth adapter if you want wireless. Motion joy is also highly customizable and can be used to emulate pressure sensitivity in ps2 games.

DOES NOT COMPUTE

this is exactly why i dropped the ps3 controller and went to the xbox controller. i also have a bluetooth keyboard for xbmc, and the motionjoy bluetooth drivers were like a bull in a china shop. almost everyday i would have to uninstall and reinstall bluetooth drivers for both devices. all so i could say that i use a ps3 controller? when i found out the xbox controller involved no shenanigans, end of story. and the ps3 controller is a bit crap anyway, imho.

sure i can figure that stuff out, but sometimes you just wanna play a game. and its embarrassing when friends tried to use the ps3 controller and id have to stop to troubleshoot. absolute pita.

if you want something that will work within thirty seconds of getting it out of the box ---> xbox wireless controller
if you have multiple bluetooth devices and would rather play games than screw with drivers ---> xbox wireless controller
if you have adult sized hands and prefer better controller design ---> xbox wireless controller
if you dont want to confuse your friends when they're playing a game and an xbox style button appears for them to press ---> xbox controller
if you want yourself and anyone who touches your gaming rig to be endlessly frustrated just so you can brag that you got something to work ---> ps3 wireless controller

Last edited:
Unless there is a new wireless receiver out, go for the wired 360 controller. There are tons of driver issues in windows 7 with the wireless receiver, and the wired one is plug and play.

Wireless XBOX 360 Controller for Windows + Play & Charge Kit

I've had zero issues with this combo while using it on Windows 7 & 8 64-bit.

I've used the PS3 controller on my PC as well & I can recommend it as a strong alternate.

For the PC, I use a wireless 360 controller. Plug it in, and it works no hassle.

Used to use a Logitech Rumble Pad 2, (PS3 controller clone), but the 360 controller is just better imho.

For my Android tablet, and Gnote 2, I use a PS3 6 axis controller. It is an even worse PITA on an Android device than on Windows, but it really is about the best thing there is for emulators.

Xbox 360 wired controller.

Plug it in an play. (Some key mapping might be required depending on what you're playing)

Windows 7.

The 360 is easily the best controller as far as comfort goes. I use Windows 7 and the Xbox 360 wireless peripheral receiver with a 360 controller. You can even use the 360 wireless headset and the ones that connect to the controllers, and use up to 4 controllers. It is pretty awesome for a computer connected to the TV running an emulator.

Wireless probably isn't a big deal if you're sitting right next to your PC though, a wired 360 controller would probably be just as good in most cases.

Back