Whats a good way of controlling a media PC from the sofa this day in age?

So I have an older computer hooked up via HDMI to my 42" television in the front room. For years I've used a Gyration wireless mouse and keyboard (similar to this: http://www.gyration.com/products/air-mouse-go-plus-with-compact-keyboard ). It works okay, but its kind of silly to drag out a whole keyboard and mouse if you just want to lean back and watch something off of Netflix or Youtube.

Is there anything better out there this day in age for the "lean back" driving of a computer?

get one of those lenovo wireless remote/keyboards. they are sweet.

What kind of controller are you looking for?

Hell there are apps for smartphones to remote control pcs.

I love my Logitech diNovo Mini. Bluetooth connected, great tactile sense with raised keys, and fairly quick to learn.

Edit: If you still need a full keyboard, then I've used this Logitech keyboard with touchpad mouse a few times, and has worked well.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Logitech k400 and you're done. Tried multiple alternatives but this was the best

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I really like the Logitech K400. How big is the keyboard? The size doesn't seem to be mentioned on the specs.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I really like the Logitech K400. How big is the keyboard? The size doesn't seem to be mentioned on the specs.

Fits on your laptop easily. Only negative is no backlight, otherwise 10 out of 10 for me

I use phonemypc app for android and control the computer with my phone or tablet

This + a media center remote is what I use for mine. The media center remote gets the most use though.

My setup is nearly the same. I have a Logitech K400 connected, but it only gets use when there is a problem with the HTPC. Otherwise, the Logitech Harmony gets all the use, and the PC rarely leaves MediaCenter/XBMC.

get one of those lenovo wireless remote/keyboards. they are sweet.
This. The Lenovo N5902 is what I recommend over anything else. I had the N5901 which had a few issues but the N5902 corrected them. I'd say it's the perfect way to control a HTPC. I've also used Android and iOS apps, the MS Remote Keyboard (which was IR) along with the MS MCE IR remote. Ideally you'll want a front end that you can navigate with a universal IR remote but you'll always need a keyboard & mouse as a backup.

The Lenovo N5902 uses USB RF so it'll work in the BIOS should you need to go there (Bluetooth devices won't work prior to the OS loading unless your motherboard has got some fancy embedded BT stack), it's backlit with a switch to disable if you want to conserve battery, built-in touch scrolling and a touch trackpoint device for mousing. It's also got media keys and uses standard AA batteries. The USB receiver is also stow-able in the battery compartment.

You can find it on sale for $40 or so.

Back