What's a good replacement for the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1s?

Astral Abyss

2[H]4U
I love my Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 speakers, but lately I've been having problems with the amp acting up and causing the speakers to squeal. I feel I've gotten my money's worth out of them after 5+ years of heavy use and was going to upgrade, but then, to my horror, I realized Klipsch doesn't make the 5.1 series anymore. :(

Any recommendations from people that like the ProMedia 5.1s but have moved on to something else? I love the sound of the ProMedia's and I want a 5.1 setup (6.1 is ok too) with speakers with the capability to be mounted on telescoping stands (deal breaker for me if they can't).

Help me out.......

I would say the Logitech Z5500s if you can find them, I never own the Klipsch Pro medias 5.1 I sure other people will tell you more set of speakers to look at.

I would say you'd be hard pressed to find a better solution or at least justifying the upgrade. They're the best computer speakers i've owned, and are very nice for home theatre systems. If you're looking at replacing them i would look at a reciever and speaker combo. As of what to suggest i would check out the klipsch home theatre lineup, a couple thousand should get you something really nice.

True, the M audios are really a class of their own in the pc surround sound market, have never seen anything that competes.

not to but heads... just be careful when considering the maudio setup. maudio is in the business of accuracy not loudness so they are disigned as a near field audio solution. if this is how you have it rigged then it will sound beautiful.

I'm gonna say it's a great time to upgrade to a real audio solution.

Amp/Reciever + 2 Front speakers, a center and 2 rear speakers.

A real system doesn't even compare to computer speakers.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, I appreciate it.

I'm familiar with the products you guys recommended, including the Z5500's and the M-Audio LX4 series, I just haven't heard either one personally so I wasn't sure how they compared. I really love my ProMedia's and hate to give them up, but if the amp dies, I don't have much choice but to upgrade or try and get it repaired, and I was thinking if I could get something just as good, or better, this would be a good time to upgrade.

I can afford the M-Audio's if that's the way to go. I understand about them being studio monitors and that's actually something I consider a good thing. I have a question about the M-Audio LX4 speakers though. Can they be mounted on telescoping type stands? I have my Klipsch ProMedia's on stands and I'd like to keep any speaker system I purchase as a replacement on the stands also, including the Z5500s if I went with them.

I'm gonna say it's a great time to upgrade to a real audio solution.

Amp/Reciever + 2 Front speakers, a center and 2 rear speakers.

A real system doesn't even compare to computer speakers.

Yeah, that is the best way to go if possible. I did that for a while, but I really don't use them in a capacity where it's much of a benefit to me, and I would be replicating the A/V system I already have. I live in a townhouse, so the volume can't be cranked up too loud, and I want to keep the satellites small, magnetically shielded, and stand mountable since space is at a premium. I don't want to wall mount since I already have nice stands and I can't mount them on the wall where I'd like them to be because of the shape of the room.

Any more input you guys have is really appreciated!

if you can afford it go for the maudios. they fit your living situation and then are well worth the money.

M-Audio speakers are monitors, and they lack personality that Klipsch, B&W and other speaker brands have come to live with.

M-Audio aim to sound natural as they are made for listening to your recorded music. They have a very flat response. Oh yeah if yuo neeed to hear them, go to a local guitar center store and they should have some available. Studio monitors are not made to be turned up loud, studio monitors are also not made to have a personality like I have said. The speakers personality is what makes people go "ohh I like that speaker". Speakers have personalities and studio monitors are made to have a flat response that makes them put out sounds "the way your playing it". Note I said THE WAY YOUR PLAYING IT. Studio monitors are made for musicians to hear what they have played on speakers that sound as neutral as possible, as in your guitar sounds as close to your guitar is supposed to sound. The Klipsch will add some personality to your guitar, and in the end make it sound better then the guitar might possibly sound by having crossovers. Sure you can play with windows equalizer, but I seriously don't think studio monitors are right for you unless your recording music.

Klipsch are a very in your face speaker if you will. Aggressive in its approach

Even if you live in a town house you should look for something that you might grow in to a little. The Klipsch B-3's are bookshelf speakers, and combined with a small subwoofer will provide awesome output combined with a subwoofer.
I would take a SUB-10 and pair of B-3's hands down from best buy on sale / w/ a 12% reward zone coupon..

In a nutshell, I would get away from computer audio. I used to work at a computer shop at the Klipsch ProMedia equipment never EVER held up. I owned 2 pairs, and I know own NONE, because after over 5 R.M.A's, and my friends set as well dying twice. Sending the units to Klipsch for repair to have them come back with still malfunctioning speaker outputs...........

You should get a home theater setup......its the most economical. You get real speakers.....we have tweeters larger then your midrange drivers in your Logitechs or your Klipsch ProMedia's.....
Your subwoofers are as large as our midrange drivers.

Basically computer speakers blow ass, you will be much happier and much more broke if you shell out money for a 7.1 receiver, and atleast a 4.1 setup. picked by yourself.
Klipsch B-3's are great bookshelfs to start with, I wouldn't buy anything lower then the F-2 or B-3's from the Synergy line....

I have the auzentech running DTS out to my receiver and I will say that going from analog to digital alone I noticed a difference as if night and day......
You have no idea how much warmth your missing....computer audio has the largest gap between midrange to midbass....and then there usually is no midbass, and then the subwoofers usually are like I said...about as large as our midrange drivers in home audio. So your subwoofers don't even play much below 60-70hz at best.

Your subwoofer is supposed to play 20-80hz roughly, midbass 80-250hz usually (this area is non-existent in computers, if you do hear music in these frequencies its the subwoofer), 250hz to 4000hz roughly is midrange, and 4000hz and up is tweeters,

Computer audio distorts easy with their small drivers. The only way the speakers maintain a good sound is the speakers usually have crossovers installed in them, or bass blockers....which eliminate bass from their signal so they don't sound horrible.

Do the math, you paid $250 or $300 for some speakers.....you got 5 satelites with a midrange and a tweeter in each, and then 2 subwoofers I think (2 6.5 inch subwoofers right? or is it one 8"?) anyways...do the math...you got 11-12 drivers (speakers), plus an amp, and then the materials to house these speakers. Each satellite speaker can only be worth a matter of a couple dollars, because you know Best Buy has a 15% mark-up so chop $40-60 off the cost of your speakers for best buy profit. Do the math, and you wonder why computer audio sucks.
You get what you pay for.

I didn't see a price range so I'm playing it safe with a budget below $1000...

av123 makes it easy with their x-series packages:
http://www.av123.com/products_category_pack.php?section=speakers&brand=55

Some decent receivers:
http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=AVR 135-Z&status=
$188
or
http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=AVR 235-Z&status=
$247
or
http://shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=TX-SR504&modelid=56&group_id=1&detail=1&ext_war=1
$169

After av123 gets their xls line figured out after the little fiasco they're having right now with the new move and everything these speakers are suppose to be some of the best for the price.

More good links:
www.axiomaudio.com
www.paradigm.com

And don't let a bunch of people on a forum decide what you buy, go out and find some place that will let you audition speakers to see what sounds best for you. AV123 has a very good return policy, as do other on line only vendors.

I happen to own the m-audio lx4 2.1 system and it is pretty good for monitoring music that I record. However, I like my Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia's better for listening to music casually. I have both sets hooked up to my computer.

Paradigm will own you for the $$. Get 5 Atoms and a sub with a receiver or their full fledged surround package and prepare to be scared. My wife MADE me sell mine b/c it freaked her and the dogs out so much when I played games.

Another vote for reciever and speakers. Getting any computer speakers even at the level of the M-Audios will not even come close to what you will get out of a real system.

I love my Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 speakers, but lately I've been having problems with the amp acting up and causing the speakers to squeal. I feel I've gotten my money's worth out of them after 5+ years of heavy use and was going to upgrade, but then, to my horror, I realized Klipsch doesn't make the 5.1 series anymore. :(

Any recommendations from people that like the ProMedia 5.1s but have moved on to something else? I love the sound of the ProMedia's and I want a 5.1 setup (6.1 is ok too) with speakers with the capability to be mounted on telescoping stands (deal breaker for me if they can't).

Help me out.......

you might want to start up with an AVR first. The AVR can power your Klipsch satellites and at the same time, ur klipsch sub can still be used as an LFE. Until your sub really dies, you can then source for a new sub and slowly make the progress towards audiophile

I'll put in my 2 cents....

I had the 4.1s, never broke for 3 years. Sold them on ebay and they still work according to buyer.

My brother had the 5.1 Ultras, broke after 1.5 years... good thing I forced him to get a Best Buy Warranty on it and he got his money back and bought a receiver and some Klipsch B2 speakers for the price.

Lesson?

It's time to move to real speakers, bro.

Not trying to thread jack, but after running a real theater setup I saw the light for my PC. Currently I have a Pioneer VSX-1016 and I am trying to pick speakers.

Currently I am trying to decide between the SVS SBS-01 / SCS-01 5.0 package or getting a Aperion Audio Intimus 422-C and 4 Intumus 422-LR speakers. With an SVS PB-10 for the sub. I figure it is a great way to spend 1000 for my computer rooms speaker setup.

I have changed my computer 5 times since I bought my klipsch 5.1 setup, but I also have a nice theater room (Paradigm Studios / SVS CS ultra) so it didn't bother me to keep the klipsch. However I am spending more and more time in my computer room so I want to upgrade.

So does anyone have a preference/experience either way between these 2 sets?

logitech z5500's sounds amazing in store. I am planning on buying this for my next speaker purchase. (had to buy my Dell 2407 first ;) )

But They are great overall sound, and for the price, they sound like a $2000 surround sound system.

Defintaly check them out :)

They are good for the price for sure. If you can get them on sale. I would still suggest going the recevier and speaker route.

I should say though the Z5500's are in the same class as the Klipsch's some say one sounds better some say the other. I don't think one set is a replacement for the other. The only place to go after either of these sets is to Home theatre gear. In my opinion.

I've been having trouble with my promedia 5.1's as well. I've really liked them and they work great for my computer activities. I was also very disappointed to see that so many companies are shying away from the 5.1 speaker systems. Are the 2.1 simulated 5.1's really that great?

I have been checking out the Bose Companion 5's, but I'm not so high on the idea of bypassing my x-fi sound card. I don't think the Companion 5 does anything to offload the load from the computer. As far as I can tell it does not audio processing on its own like an add-on audio card can do.

I get a hissing sound through my speakers. I've checked for interferences, connections, etc. I've looked into it and you can have Klipsch fix the amp for $90.00, and if it is the control tower, you can pick one of them up for $35.00 plus shipping. I think I'm going to go that route instead. I just can't find another compelling reason to chuck them just yet.

Zandian

Make sure you call Klipsch before you do anything. A $500 set of speakers is worth one phone call atleast :)

My initial ProMedia 5.1's were very problematic. As most owners know, the early ProMedia 5.1's had all kinds of issues. However, Klipsch took care of folks very nicely, and even replaced some sets that were out of warranty.

In my case, they sent me a brand new ProMedia Ultra set in exchange so I can't complain.

Mine are also about 5 years old now, and still work fine (knock on wood).

Give them a call. I wouldn't expect a FREE repair, but you never know. They may have an inexpensive swap-out program or something. I'd say if you can get them repaired for $150-$200, then that's the right move as you can't touch a speaker set of this quality for that kind of money.

JMHO...

Help me out.......

You know, after living with a 5.1 system in my office for 5 years now, I do indeed think my next set will be a real high quality 2.1 system.

I just don't see the need for the 5.1 now that I've done it. I don't watch many DVD's on my computer, and if I do Stereo would be just dandy as I'm usually distracted doing work at the same time.

If I really want to watch a DVD, I have a 50" widescreen and a serious setup in the living room for that :)

I've been having trouble with my promedia 5.1's as well. I've really liked them and they work great for my computer activities. I was also very disappointed to see that so many companies are shying away from the 5.1 speaker systems. Are the 2.1 simulated 5.1's really that great?

I have been checking out the Bose Companion 5's, but I'm not so high on the idea of bypassing my x-fi sound card. I don't think the Companion 5 does anything to offload the load from the computer. As far as I can tell it does not audio processing on its own like an add-on audio card can do.

I get a hissing sound through my speakers. I've checked for interferences, connections, etc. I've looked into it and you can have Klipsch fix the amp for $90.00, and if it is the control tower, you can pick one of them up for $35.00 plus shipping. I think I'm going to go that route instead. I just can't find another compelling reason to chuck them just yet.

Zandian

I just want to be the "other guy" here and say that my 4.1's from 3-4 years ago have never failed me.

Same with me. I've had 4.1s for 7 years now and the only thing I had to replace was the CP1 control pod... which they sent me for free.

And I was using those speakers for 4 years in college at full volume during parties...

I think that some of the newer HTiB setups offer guys a different way to go that don't have alot of money. I seen the current Onkyo setup and they give you alot for a little price.
You get a HT receiver and 5 speakers and a sub. This setup would sound alot better then the Z-5500's although the 5500's would probably be louder. Used to be you couldn't get into this market without alot of cash and were forced to use the PC speakers. Now you can get decent HT gear for less cash. No that this is top quality gear but would probably sound alot better...

You could always just pay the $60 for a new amp from Klipsch. I did that after I had the same high-pitched whine as you and they're working like a champ again :).

I've had experience with Klipsch fixing my amp for my 2.1's and it was a good experience. I think they just charged me like $40 or something like that. Not very much at all.

...current Onkyo setup and they give you alot for a little price.
I picked up the HT-S790 in black from CC a few months back. Everything, absolutely everything about them sounds better than the Klip 4.1's I had. It's just not a fair fight. :)

logitech z5500's sounds amazing in store. I am planning on buying this for my next speaker purchase. (had to buy my Dell 2407 first ;) )

But They are great overall sound, and for the price, they sound like a $2000 surround sound system.

Defintaly check them out :)

Have you ever heard a $2000 sound system? There is NO comparison. Hell, my sub $1000 (to me, all used equipment except my Primus 250 mains) system would easily demolish any computer speakers in both sound quality and absolute volume. I used to have some klipsch 4.1s, I thought they were amazing. Then I got my harman kardon AVR-320 and my HTD lvl. 3s... then I realized how crappy computer speakers are :)

That's all they charge for a swap out?

No brainer to me...

You could always just pay the $60 for a new amp from Klipsch. I did that after I had the same high-pitched whine as you and they're working like a champ again :).

I was definitely thinking about the M-Audio's as well. I personally strive for flat speakers. At least you know where your starting at. Now that full setup is 5.1 for about 400-500 bucks. I see the points being made for the reciever and speaker setup. But from the looks of it your suggestions are running near 1000+. Can you beat the M-Audio's for the same price point?

I worked at a custom computer shop.

I purchased 2 sets of the original v.2-400 or whatever it was. They altered the crossovers, fixed a hiss / static noise with the volume pod and then the ProMedia 4.1's were named...

They continued from there, but I owned 2 of the originals, and we (the shop) sold around 50 units every 3 months of the Klipsch.

We sold a bit you could say, they sold themselves at the time as Logitech was really behind and Altec / Cambridge was your closest competition.
But the speaker outputs on mine failed multiple times, the subwoofer failed more then once, sent them in for repair, good timing and all but the unit was returned half fixed. Speaker outputs still didn't work on some channels.
My friend suffered similar problems.

We stressed ours.....but among customers we had enough returns on them to make us reconsider selling them. The problems were usually with speaker outputs failing, pod noise, and subwoofers sometimes failing.

I suggest stay away from studio monitors because you have no personality to the speaker. Just my opinion.

No hobby is cheap :-/

I worked at a custom computer shop.

I purchased 2 sets of the original v.2-400 or whatever it was. They altered the crossovers, fixed a hiss / static noise with the volume pod and then the ProMedia 4.1's were named...

They continued from there, but I owned 2 of the originals, and we (the shop) sold around 50 units every 3 months of the Klipsch.

We sold a bit you could say, they sold themselves at the time as Logitech was really behind and Altec / Cambridge was your closest competition.
But the speaker outputs on mine failed multiple times, the subwoofer failed more then once, sent them in for repair, good timing and all but the unit was returned half fixed. Speaker outputs still didn't work on some channels.
My friend suffered similar problems.

We stressed ours.....but among customers we had enough returns on them to make us reconsider selling them. The problems were usually with speaker outputs failing, pod noise, and subwoofers sometimes failing.

I suggest stay away from studio monitors because you have no personality to the speaker. Just my opinion.

No hobby is cheap :-/

Stay away from studio monitors UNLESS you want to record and mix music on your computer. I happen to use this computer for my recording business, and I use my m-audio studio monitors for mixing and recording. I use the Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia's for just listening to music from iTunes. The m-audio are extremely flat and will not color the sound at all that I can hear. I did my first mix on the Klipsch last summer before I got the m-audios. Once I got the m-audio's I realized that the Klipsch really cut off alot of mids...when I listened back to the songs I mixed on the m-audio's they sounded horrible because of the lack of mids on the Klipsch, but I like the Klipsch for music, but they do have a particular "sound" to them. If you really want to hear ALL the music in a flat environment, then go for studio monitors, just keep in mind that they are very flat.

Stay away from studio monitors UNLESS you want to record and mix music on your computer. I happen to use this computer for my recording business, and I use my m-audio studio monitors for mixing and recording. I use the Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia's for just listening to music from iTunes. The m-audio are extremely flat and will not color the sound at all that I can hear. I did my first mix on the Klipsch last summer before I got the m-audios. Once I got the m-audio's I realized that the Klipsch really cut off alot of mids...when I listened back to the songs I mixed on the m-audio's they sounded horrible because of the lack of mids on the Klipsch, but I like the Klipsch for music, but they do have a particular "sound" to them. If you really want to hear ALL the music in a flat environment, then go for studio monitors, just keep in mind that they are very flat.

Excellent! I don't want my sound 'colored'. If I want do to some 'coloring' that's what my EQ is for. I desire to hear my music exactly as it was recorded.

Back