whats a good free c++ based 3d game engine

sirsnits

[H]ard|Gawd
as the title explains,

Im looking for a good free 3D game engine that supports the use of c++ code.

preferably based on user experience.

edit: SDK with GUI, for simplicity sake.

Last edited:
People seem to like Ogre3D and Crystal Space. They're no match for commercial game engines, however, and you have to be prepared to do a lot of manual work to make things work. User-friendliness and documentation has never really been a strong point of FOSS software.

Look on Wikipedia for a more expansive list of free 3D game engines.

More info, please:

1) What platform(s)
2) For commercial sale or give away/personal

Under Windows there is XNA.

Under Windows there is XNA.

XNA by itself isn't a full game engine, though. It's just a framework. However, there are plenty of 3D Graphics engines that can be added to XNA.

ya, im on a windows machine
i'll give XNA a try,

has anyone tampered with blitzbasic?
the language seems pretty simple.

OGRE by itself isn't a game engine. However, it has a huge community presence and, with enough plugins, is a fully functional (free) gaming engine. It's licensed under LGPL.

http://gdk.thegamecreators.com/

I messed around with that for a few hours. Seems like a decent place to start.

Dark Basic seems like a popular place to start, and Dark GDK seems to be strongly based off of Dark Basic/Dark Basic C++. I know the local career center's Programming And Web Design course has Dark Basic as part of their curriculum.

Plus, if the games really look like this, it shouldn't be hard to make an enjoyable game with a bit of experience under your belt.

I'm personally pretty interested in Dark GDK.NET, since I'm more of a C# developer than anything else (And a bad one at that), but that one isn't free.

Panda3D is a high quality engine developed by Disney but now open sourced and run by Carnegie Mellon. It is written in C++, and thus has a C++ API, but also has the capability of being used with Python so it gives you some flexibility if you know both languages.

I haven't used XNA personally but I would discourage its use just because of it being so heavily tied to Microsoft products.

^^^
ya, im on a windows machine

He's using Windows, so there's no reason *not* to use XNA if it serves his purpose. Be a little honest with yourself. Loki went out of business due to lack of sales and Mac gaming has very little demand.

I haven't used XNA personally but I would discourage its use just because of it being so heavily tied to Microsoft products.

Yes, but on the plus side, despite being tied to Microsoft products, you are able to develop games for three different platforms (PC, Xbox and Zune), using the same framework.

Yes, but on the plus side, despite being tied to Microsoft products, you are able to develop games for three different platforms (PC, Xbox and Zune), using the same framework.

It's also extremely easy to program a game in XNA.

not sure if it's C or C++ but the quake 3 engine if free to use now and it's one of the best 3d engines ever made.

Back