What's a good, easy solution to remotely control a PC?

morningreis

[H]ard|Gawd
I come home for a few weeks over the holidays every year, and I find myself being tech support for my computer illiterate parents. I want to be able to help them out remotely when I have time instead of them saving up all their computer troubles until I am there in person.

What is a simple, easy solution to be able to be able to control our home computer remotely? I don't have much experience with Remote Desktop software, VNC, etc.

Thanks

Why bother with external software? Just use Remote Desktop. Been using it for years with no issue.

Well, RDP would require him knowing his parent's IP, setting up a port forward, possibly a dynamic dns, etc. If you are comfortable doing that, then that's a good way to go. I would use a different external port than 3389, though.

Logmein removes all that complexity, and I used to use it in some scenarios, especially as a backup. There is also TeamViewer, but I have never used it and don't know if it works like logmein or if you need an address and port to directly connect, like rdp.

I agree. Teamviewer.

I've never used Logmein.

I have Teamviewer installed on all of my family's computers. I don't let it autostart though. I just get them to start it when they need tech support from me.

Yeah I haven't actually used logmein in a few years, and I think they went to where you have to pay, so teamviewer is probably better.

Are you guys buying Teamviewer or just using it for free until it runs out?

TeamViewer only becomes a PITA if you use it too much and get accused of commercial use; for what you need, it'll work fine. ("Commercial use suspected" apparently takes 20+ hrs of access in a month but you'll never hit that judging by your OP.)

Install it on their computer and sign in to add that computer to your account - that way you don't have to try to walk them through giving you the ID and PW whenever you need to remotely access their machine. Since they don't need to connect out to someone else, you can just install the 'remote access only' host software (rather than the full client + server app). http://download.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewer_Host_Setup.exe

We use Bomgar. Installs software to connect and removes when done. Works remotely and in house. Also has a presentation feature. Works well for a help desk. Can be connected to 8 machines at once.

LogMeIn isn't an option anymore, unless you plan on spending a lot. They axed their free accounts.

RDP is the best option internally, but TeamViewer is the best if it's an external contact. I use it to fix my in-laws computer without having to drive over there all the time.

+1 for Teamviewer. I have used it exclusively for support my parents, inlaws, friends, etc whenever they have issues. It is a great solution.

Back