Whats a good cheap wireless card for a desktop PC?

D-Link WD-1320. Works out of the box in Linux, its why I use it. My router is 3 floors down and reception is perfect too.

[ T ] A C O;1031083516 said:
D-Link WD-1320. Works out of the box in Linux, its why I use it. My router is 3 floors down and reception is perfect too.

You sure about that model # I cant find anything related to it?

I also need a Good Wireless adapter. I am dropping packets like crazy, I cant even play BF2142 due to packet loss. I am thinking the problem is a week signal from my computer to the router. The router is reporting a signal quality of only 32%. i have a linksys WRT54GS w/ DD-WRT. I have 4-5 bars on my computer most of the time so I am getting a good signal from the router to my computer.

For stationary applications, I'd look at wireless bridges -- they'll give you more placement flexibility, generally better performance, run driver-free (and so be OS-independent), and sometimes also allow you to connect multiple devices, and need no internal installation.

They of course require an available LAN port (and its driver to be working), but these days this part is pretty much a given.

E.g. Buffalo Wireless Ethernet Converter. E.g. any of the several DD-WRT compatible routers with DD-WRT firmware installed, running in client bridge mode.

E.g. SMC SMC2870W (seems to be the cheapest "name" brand on Newegg) -- should do the job, but only single connection.

Back