What's a good Blu Ray ROM Reader for the PC?

I use the 10 speed LG CH10 models (Have two of these). With the hacked firmware they rip dual layer BD at 8X and single layer BD at 10X, excellent drives for the 6 months I've had them so far and they have dealt with a heavy work cycle.

The Lite On IHES206 has very good reviews and I happen to have a very lightly used one for sale on the FS thread :-D

I use the 10 speed LG CH10 models (Have two of these). With the hacked firmware they rip dual layer BD at 8X and single layer BD at 10X, excellent drives for the 6 months I've had them so far and they have dealt with a heavy work cycle.

+1

Go for the LG drives, they are great quality and haven't failed me yet. :cool:

As for Lite-On, every drive I've ever owned from them has crapped out in a week to a few months, I'd stay away. Remember, you get what you pay for. ;)

how long does it take to rip a 50GB disc at that speed?

That depends on your CPU and the ripping program you use, more so than the actual disc speed.

Depends on if you recompress. Makemkv is dependant mainly on Drive speed (Bdrom but also HD if ripping multiple discs at once), CPU is almost irrelevant.

Depends on if you recompress. Makemkv is dependant mainly on Drive speed (Bdrom but also HD if ripping multiple discs at once), CPU is almost irrelevant.

Sweet, I'll have to check it out.

Guess I'm used to handbreak which uses the CPU to rip and transcode the video.

Sweet, I'll have to check it out.

Guess I'm used to handbreak which uses the CPU to rip and transcode the video.

Hand brake will take a bit longer because it recompresses. Remember the files from Makemkv will be 25-50GB per dual layer disc.

Fastest BD-ripping crown currently, goes to LG UH10LS20 + modified firmware. Occasionally drop to $60 on Newegg.

I've tested many drives including the Samsung "12X" SH-B123L (which is b.s.) and once the riplock is removed from the UH10LS20 with MediaCodeSpeedEdit, I'm ripping BD50's in like 20-25 min. Hauls ass. The Samsung "12X" drive was about 40% slower in all tests.

Last edited:
Fastest BD-ripping crown currently, goes to LG UH10LS20 + modified firmware. Occasionally drop to $60 on Newegg.

I've tested many drives including the Samsung "12X" SH-B123L (which is b.s.) and once the riplock is removed from the UH10LS20 with MediaCodeSpeedEdit, I'm ripping BD50's in like 20-25 min. Hauls ass. The Samsung "12X" drive was about 40% slower in all tests.
I have a LG CH10LS20 (same drive, retail packaging). It is running a modified firmware with the riplock removed. It not slow, but it also isn't much faster than my Pioneer BDR-206 on SL BD. The Pioneer gets to 8x much earlier in the disc (staying there) and as a result ends up basically being able to match the 10x performance of the LG. The DL performance of the two is identical because the LG is only a 8x drive on DL media.

Here's the test to prove it...

SL BD:
bdr206bdromsl.png

ch10ls20100sl.png

Last edited:
The Pioneer gets to 8x much earlier in the disc (staying there) and as a result ends up basically being able to match the 10x performance of the LG. The DL performance of the two is identical because the LG is only a 8x drive on DL media.

All you've really said (unless I missed something) is the Pioneer is basically able to match the LG, but at twice the price of the LG. I realize the Pioneer is more expensive because its a BD Writer, but the thread was about BD readers, and assumably best bang for buck. Also, one or two discs isn't much of a test, but it does give you a rough estimate and sense of the drive. I tested about 8 or 9 different BD discs - including SL and DL - when I evaluated a bunch of BD readers, and noticed that certain discs did better on certain drives, which was interesting. Point being I had to average the results from all the discs tested in all the drives.

Lastly, when you consider that you can buy two LG's for the price of one of the Pioneers and rip two discs at the same time, then there's really no contest.

Last edited:
All you've really said (unless I missed something) is the Pioneer is basically able to match the LG, but at twice the price of the LG. I realize the Pioneer is more expensive because its a BD Writer, but the thread was about BD readers, and assumably best bang for buck. Also, one or two discs isn't much of a test, but it does give you a rough estimate and sense of the drive. I tested about 8 or 9 different BD discs - including SL and DL - when I evaluated a bunch of BD readers, and noticed that certain discs did better on certain drives, which was interesting. Point being I had to average the results from all the discs tested in all the drives.

Lastly, when you consider that you can buy two LG's for the price of one of the Pioneers and rip two discs at the same time, then there's really no contest.
I wasn't meaning to suggest the BDR-206 a cheap fast reader that he should get. I was simply trying to point out that the 10x LG is not that much faster than other BD drives on the market.

Good luck. It has a riplock at 6x and there's no way to remove it (at least not yet).

My experience with removing riplock on my LGs is that it causes some reliability issues with ripping certain discs (About 5% fail that are fine with riplock enabled).

My experience with removing riplock on my LGs is that it causes some reliability issues with ripping certain discs (About 5% fail that are fine with riplock enabled).
FWIW, I haven't had a disc I couldn't read (yet?) after removing the riplock on mine.

Can anyone recommend a good CURRENT MODEL BD-ROM drive that offers fast Blu-ray movie ripping? I have used MCSE in the past on Samsung and LG drives to remove RIPLOCKS, but need a new BD-ROM drive for ripping movies.

Thanks...

JH

Can anyone recommend a good CURRENT MODEL BD-ROM drive that offers fast Blu-ray movie ripping? I have used MCSE in the past on Samsung and LG drives to remove RIPLOCKS, but need a new BD-ROM drive for ripping movies.

Thanks...

JH

Check out the models supported on The Firmware Page for additional options

does these new drives still have region codes, and if so has anyone used any region free firmware for them?

Back