What's a good AM2 board these days?

Zoogle

Gawd
I haven't been paying much attention to the motherboard chipset scene as of late so I'm totally lost as to what the currently good/popular boards for AM2 are these days.

Looking to pair with a BE-2400, 4GB RAM, and an 8800GT. Some overclocking ability is appreciated but this machine is mostly going to be a general use workstation. Good layout is important since I'll be doing some tricky cable routing in the P180 case (basically the PSU connector needs to be on the right side).

Looking to spend anywhere from 50 to 90 dollars. Link me if possible.

Thanks.

That board (the A7DA-S) is primarily for someone who wants to take advantage of its onboard video. He stated that he will be using a 8800GT. "Best" at future support of cpu's doesn't mean much. The A78AX-S looks good.

Zoogle, don't know which board to recommend but maybe try posting in the cases section and ask other P180 owners what they think. Also buy a board that is AM2 and AM2+ if you want the possibility to upgrade to cpus not out today. Guess you already know that newegg has good pictures of its motherboards.

Hmmm... could you at least tell me which chipsets should I be looking at?

Hmmm... could you at least tell me which chipsets should I be looking at?

780G and 790GX chipsets.

Though quick question Do you already have the 8800GT on hand or are you planning on buying one?

if it wasnt for the lime green usb headers that foxconn board would be the most beautiful board i have ever seen.

Something else to check out would be the 780 and 790gx boards from biostar...priced very affordable at 99.00 for the 790gx board and the 780 is priced at like 79.00 with 10$ mir but its a micro board.....sorry didnt see the 8800 vid card..also the biostar tf8200 board is offered at 89.00 if you interested in nvidia chipsets too.says it has hybrid sli but im an ati guy so dont know the particulars on that....
remember as abit seems to be getting out of the motherboard business ive read that there engineers have gone mainly with foxconn and biostar and there boards are showing signs of this..foxconn is really coming on...bet my next board will be the 790gx board from them...unless abit puts out something stellar but im not really expecting much from them at this point.....its really hard to beat the foxconn 790gx board for price ,layout and performance...its as future proof as anyone can expect these days.....you never know .....

Yeah, I already own the 8800GT. Bought it from a guy for just $50 so I had to bite on that :).

I've taken a look at the Biostar 790GX board and I like it pretty much. Just wish it had more USB connectors at the back ><. I own a Biostar Tforce board right now which has done a very good job being stable and glitch-free so I'm pretty satisfied the brand. I think I'll probably go with the 790GX chipset just because its not much more money than the 780G boards and offers a few new features.

Which Foxconn board are you referring to?

EDIT: Found that Foxconn board. Do you guys think its worth the extra $$? I do like the mosfet cooler advantage...beats having to chop up my own stuff.

Back