Whats a good 5ghz true 300mbps N router for a bill or less?

compudocs

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there a good true Wireless N 300 5ghz router out there for a bill or less?

I should absolutely note that g-bit is not a requirement. There will only be one computer on the network that will be hooked directly in so all of my concern is with wireless speed and reliability.

Last edited:
Apple Airport Extreme is $130 on refurb. Dual band N, gbit ports.
Probably find it on ebay for less.

Netgear WNDR3700 is $112 at Amazon (free shipping) and Newegg, brand new. Can easily find it for less than 100 either used or refurbished. Plenty on eBay for pretty cheap.

I have had bad luck with Netgear in the past, is that model any good? Can anyone speak from experience on the Netgear WNDR3700's actual sustainable data transfer speed using the 5ghz band?

Does anyone have any input on this ASUS RT-N53 router? It looks like it does simultaneous dual-band and for $70 with a 2-year warranty it's the best deal I've seen yet or so it seems.

Average 5 GHz Downlink and Uplink Throughput charts both have the Asus RT-N56U in the lead, even besting other three-stream (450Mbps) routers. In the 40MHz bandwidth mode charts, it remains on top for uplink speed and is #2 for downlink, second to the Netgear WNDR4000.

The best price I can find on this currently is $119 at superbiiz ($5 off with coupon code SNIFFLES)

Does anyone have any input on this ASUS RT-N53 router? It looks like it does simultaneous dual-band and for $70 with a 2-year warranty it's the best deal I've seen yet or so it seems.
While the RT-N53 may look similar to the chart-topping RT-N56U, they are not the same on the inside. I would not expect it to have the same performance as the RT-N56U, but it may still perform very well.

Last edited:
Back