What's a fair hourly rate for a relatively low-level VB.NET developer?

Vexorg

[H]ard|Gawd
Recently, I was approached by someone I know from church who is looking to quit his job and set off to start developing software on his own. He asked me about helping him out with his project, a mobile device application written in VB.NET with SQLCE. I have recently completed classes covering VB.NET and have a 2-year community college degree related to the subject, and I have a small amount of experience specifically with programming on the PPC and with SQLCE. Based on this information, what type of hourly rate do you think would be fair to charge for my services. I don't think I'd be able to charge a professional consultant's rates at this point, and it does also sound like something I would be doing in my spare time in the evenings, as I am currently working a full-time job as a software tester.

Mostly it depends on your ability to produce output. Evaluate the project, and figure out a time-estimate based on your abilities. Then, figure out how much you figure the entire project is worth, and divide away :).

Here's the problem: if you decide to give him an hourly rate, then he will probably freak out if you're sitting reading a book, or surfing the web (even though you're doing legitimate research). If you decide to not go for an hourly rate, and instead to charge a flat rate for the project, you will get smacked with feature creep and specifications that are continually changing. It's a horrible situation.

Generally though, for projects done in my spare time, I charge a flat rate AFTER the specifications have been layed out. I don't write a line of code until the specifications are complete, and set in stone. I make it quite clear that any alteration of the specifications will mean that we have to renegotiate prices, because of the amount of time the new "features" will add to the project.

Edit: I just realized that I didn't actually answer your question. That's because it's impossible to answer without knowing more details. I mean, if the project is going to only take you a few hours (<10) to complete, I'd guess somewhere between $200-$500.

I'd say fifteen bucks an hour. More importantly from this project, you'll get karma and the ever important exerience and a project to add to the ol' resume.

enkafan said:
I'd say fifteen bucks an hour. More importantly from this project, you'll get karma and the ever important exerience and a project to add to the ol' resume.

that's way too low. Professional developers charge consultation fees of at least $75/hour and can go much higher depending on the application.

since you are green, you probably can't command that much, but I really think you can charge closer to $40/hour. Or better yet set a flat rate based on $40/hour x estimated time to complete. So if you think it will take 20 hours, then charge a flat $800 and commit to putting in anything over 20 hours at no charge if it takes you longer. However, if they keep changing the requirements mid-project, then charge them extra based on your per hour rate.
The way i see it is if you charge such a low rate, your clients are going to work you to death. At $15/hour, i can work your ass off for peanuts. i will have no incentive to define the scope of the app because well, what's 10 more hours out of you worth? $150, no problem.. They are not stupid, they know how much programmer consulting fees are.

don't let them use the "we go to the same church" excuse to make you do all the work for peanuts while they reap all the benefits. i've been in too many of those situations, and they never end well.

Going rate "professional" VB .Net consultant developers in the Atlanta area from what I've seen is $20 - $60, depending on experience. This is the rate their agencies are charging anyways, so the developer will be making a bit less. Unless you include interns, they work for free :D

no offense, but i would not pay close to $40/hour for a low-level vb.net developer.

i'm a high-end c# developer saying this.

part of being able to charge a rate is coming to the job with experience. you'll be doing more than the usual amount of on-the-job training for this it sounds like. the person who said $15/hour was probably pretty good.

i guess it all depends on where you are, and what you do. But here in Seattle, we can't get close to an experienced contractor for under $75/hour.. (or so i'm told by the powers that be.. :confused: )

I would say it depends on where you live, but $15-$20 hr is more than enough since you are not expierienced. I wouldnt go less than $15hr because then when you do get more expierienced you will want more money and they will be use to paying nothing however in most cities $15hr is a good rate for a person that is interning or is in training. As for the person saying $40hr, I as an owner of an IT company would never pay someone without atleast 2 years in field expierience and a bachelors degree in computer science or related field that type of money.

How much can he afford to pay? Is it going to be legit or under-the-table? How much would it cost him to hire somebody else in your area? How much are you making now & how hard would it be for you to find a better job?

Well, for the time being, I will be doing some relatively easy tasks (adding error handling to existing code) which I estimate to take somewhere on the order of 6-8 hours. I will start at $15, which will be negotiable on future tasks. Since I will be doing this on the side of my regular employment, I think this is relatively reasonable, although he has also asked that I acquire a business license eventually, so that it can be done as contract work. At that point, additional pay will be added to cover taxes and expenses.

I'll have to deal with things as they come along. For now, the experience is probably more valuable to me than the paycheck, so I can't complain.

Back