Whatkind of duallys do you have for 4K Plex usage? Advices?

WestSidaz

Limp Gawd
Hello!

I am not sure is this right place/thread to ask thiskind of thing.. Mods can move this for more suitable place if needed?

I am seeking for a advice for my next build and i am doing research for dually what could sustain 2 x 4K streams at once..

Whatkind of duallys do you have for thiskind of usage? Do you might have any recommendations?

I am not looking TR/AMD system because it dosnt support ECC ram.. and i would like to have ECC ram because Snapraid prefers ECC..

At price/processing power wise i think some older dually would be best option? Or any other ideas?

I am trying to figure out what i would need to get because my older servers just dosnt have enough juice in them for my needs anymore for streaming and transcoding..
I am thinkin about building a reasonable priced server from older server hardware like E5 Xeons, DDR3 ECC maybe 1333MHz ..
I have SAS Expanders, LSi SAS cards, maybe PSU, GPU if needed so pretty much everything else is handled except i just cant figure out whatkind of mobo, ram and cpu i would need for my setup.. ofcourse littlebit overscaled is a great thing so cpus dosnt run 100% all the time..

I have looked parts like

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2670 2.6GHz to 3.3GHz - SR0KX stepping

Motherboard: Supermicro X9DR3-F

+ i have looked lots of different kind of setups what peoples have in here.. problem is that there is too much different kind of setups.. Not sure what to get and not sure whatkind of system i would even need.. except that 25 000 passmark scores is kind of safe side so to say.. and i would like to build rock solid system what i can leave and forget.. just add more hdds to it..

My needs are:

RAM: atleast 64gigs of ECC ram and needs to be able to scale 128 gigs if needed.. DDR3 1333Mhz should be fine?
CPU: Somekind of setup that could handle 2 x 4K streams via plex + scalable Snapraid + drivepool software + Windows 10 itself..
PCI-E slots: 5 needed.. prolly 4 could do aswell if mobo itself has vga interphace

Ideas? Questions?

If you did read this far.. Thank you for that!

Used dual CPU workstations are also a good option if you can get them cheap.
eg. I'm running 2x HP Z800 (4x X5690) and 2x HP Z600 (4x X5670).

Z800s cost me ~$100 each, Z600s were free from work.
Only additional money put into them (besides storage) were for the CPUs,
which were inexpensive on eBay.

Used dual CPU workstations are also a good option if you can get them cheap.
eg. I'm running 2x HP Z800 (4x X5690) and 2x HP Z600 (4x X5670).

Z800s cost me ~$100 each, Z600s were free from work.
Only additional money put into them (besides storage) were for the CPUs,
which were inexpensive on eBay.

I think i am gonna need more juice from my server... + something newer would be nice than X series.. Like E5 series stuff :)
Thanks for the feedback tho! ^^

I am not looking TR/AMD system because it dosnt support ECC ram.. and i would like to have ECC ram because Snapraid prefers ECC..
AMD Threadripper DOES support ECC RAM. I'm not sure where you read otherwise.
http://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-threadripper

IIRC all of AMD's server/workstation class CPU's support it.

Now whether or not a Threadripper system would fit your needs, that's another question entirely, but they do support ECC.

Seeing Thinkstation S30's on Ebay sometimes with V2 cpus for ~ $150.

You can drop in a 10 core 20 thread 2680v2 for ~ $170. Should make a great workstation :)f

Yup,same, dually with 128G ECC and the mobo, that system now is worth more than when i bought it!

Do you guys run plex server?

I checked out natex aswell earlier.... had a great 2680V system with decent price and i was thinkin about it for sometime..
I also found some supermicro mobo/s like https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DR7-LN4F.cfm what i might wanna go with.. What you guys think? Maybe with pair of 2680V2s + 128 GB ECC.. In that way it would cost more money.. i might not even find from EU and i might have to order from Murica and pay taxes.. Buuut in other hand i would have to do same with Natex pcs.. and i think adding more money to parts can do a good things to this build...

and in that mobo i just posted has 2 x SFF 8087 slots so with those i could save one pci-e slot from sas card.. and maybe just attach my 2 slave racks to those slots.. as an idea..
and i am gonna have over 90 hot swap hdd slots at the end so my base(mobos and so on) must be steady and good :)

You can't go wrong with a pair of 2680 v2 if you can pick them up cheap and a board combo.

Dual E5-2643 (3.3ghz 4 core) with 32GB ram.

Run esxi with plex server on it. 3 or 4 plex 1080p streams at once and the utilization is very low. I don't have any 4K content yet to test that. Usually I have 4 cores encoding new content and the other 4 cores open for plex.

I think you'll be happy with most of the dual xeon setups.

You shouldn't really use a CPU, get that P2000 Quadro. Search reddit for the video review. No CPU can reliably transcode the 4k stuff, let alone two 4k streams. If you are direct playing, then it is only a network issue and would not really hit the CPU.

Everyone that uses Plex and has users should view this video and the follow up video using an old PC. It is worth the watch:

Back