Whatever happened with all the capacitor issues on RTX cards?

DeSelby

n00b
Hi all,

I'm in a position to get an RTX 3090 for an extremely good price through my work, the only issue is that they're only working with Gigabyte.
Usually it's not an issue but I remember that Gigabyte was one of the companies that didn't use what was considered "good" capacitors on any of their products when that whole issue broke out last year.

I tried to google new info on it but I only get results from September when various companies responded regarding this issue.

Is it no longer an issue? Was it resolved somehow?

Thanks

Was more about Nvidia pushing their cards too far with their boost clocks in the driver than the capacitors being bad. E.g. you had to have a good chip sample to be stable at the boost clocks they were running in their initial drivers. Afaik they backed off the boost clocks 50-100mhz and slowed down the boost rampup on the 3080 cards (there used to be a significant peak at the start of the boost). Basically the original reviews showed 2-5% higher performance than one would get with the "fixed" driver, but only the boost is lowered so the cards go above advertised core clock.

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Looks like I'll be getting the RTX 3090 Gaming OC 24G version.

I technically have a 3080 that's supposed to have the "bad" capacitors, and I think the 3090 Gaming OC is among those as well. Mine is of the most stable cards I've ever had, before or after the driver "fix" to reduce boost clocks.

Back