Whatever happened to cool physical graphics on the graphics cards themselves?

I liked them too. I had this Geforce 6800, one of my favs.

720.jpg

Also, what happened to the Nvidia demos they would release for new cards (Dawn, Nalu, etc.)?

The last card I had that had graphics on it was a msi 8800 gt

and thank god theyre gone.

I'll always say they are better than the LED obsession I see that have replaced them on cards.

I liked them too. I had this Geforce 6800, one of my favs.

Also, what happened to the Nvidia demos they would release for new cards (Dawn, Nalu, etc.)?

Nvidia has grown substantially since their early days, and now they essentially release full games as their demos ie: shadow of the tomb raider, metro exodus, and bf5. It locks buyers into their ecosystem without wasting money on free demos.

Well funded, encouraged and paid degeneracy representing a small fraction of the population?
absolutely degenerate doom.jpg

But to be honest some were tacky as fuck from smaller GPU manufacturers, but the graphics and cooler designs were at least more interesting aesthetically than what we have today. At least Nvidia has the Star Wars cards, I do like the later AMD reference blowers also, especially the Yin Min blue Vega FEs.. I'll have to collect one of those when they get cheaper.

this one came from a client. wasn't seeing the hdd on first boot or two. got there and could feel the heat radiating from the tower. popped off the side panel and it was the north bridge chip hitting 106C! mobo was full of blown caps too. they were going to recycle it so I took it home. grabbed a q6600, 4GB ddr2-800, the 9600 gso and an 8-10 month old 450w psu.

Had this one,
main.php?g2_view=core.jpg

Still have this one

51Q71TYB3PL._SX355_.jpg

The 3D Prophet series always had good box art, some of my favorites

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-pJRy-g0xG2VqwIAoArxlWKbbvj-Umui2MK8eiavpIXn_G5yPZg.jpg

Ati had some good ones too,

box2.jpg

radeon9700_002_l.jpg

I miss the graphics on box art. No creativity goes into marketing anymore, back then some people bought a card just for the box art, the card might suck but hey atleast the artwork on the box is killer :p

I don't miss them. I always hated that stuff making shrouds look so tacky and dumb. I much prefer that area be used for fans or simple, clean, designs that look nice. I prefer minimalist design, I don't need my parts to scream "I'm a gamer" or, in the case of those of those ridiculous shroud graphics, "I'm a horny 13 year old child". Even the "gamer" looking cards now days still look miles better than anything with a stupid, or edgy, shroud graphic.

I don't miss them. I always hated that stuff making shrouds look so tacky and dumb. I much prefer that area be used for fans or simple, clean, designs that look nice. I prefer minimalist design, I don't need my parts to scream "I'm a gamer" or, in the case of those of those ridiculous shroud graphics, "I'm a horny 13 year old child". Even the "gamer" looking cards now days still look miles better than anything with a stupid, or edgy, shroud graphic.

They're still butt ugly.

Gigabyte RX 2080
2080ti2_grande.jpg

EVGA
maxresdefault.jpg

I'd rather have some cool artwork to look at than a company logo plastered like a billboard all over my computer.

Do we really need company logo's on the fan blades?

Attachments

• card.jpg
    card.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 57
They're still butt ugly.

Gigabyte RX 2080
View attachment 114635

EVGA
View attachment 114637

I'd rather have some cool artwork to look at than a company logo plastered like a billboard all over my computer.

Do we really need company logo's on the fan blades?
Still looks better than the janky, uncanny valley-invoking 90's rendered prepubescent man-child fap material that used to be all over graphics cards.

I wasn't a functioning member of society with disposable income when those cards were in vogue, and I was a prepubescent man-child, and I still would have been embarrassed to bring one of those boxes to the checkout aisle.

Still looks better than the janky, uncanny valley-invoking 90's rendered prepubescent man-child fap material that used to be all over graphics cards.

I wasn't a functioning member of society with disposable income when those cards were in vogue, and I was a prepubescent man-child, and I still would have been embarrassed to bring one of those boxes to the checkout aisle.

Heck not me, That's right, I'm buying a box with a three headed Hell Hound on it, got a problem? Or a chick with huge tits, still a problem? Your problem not mine :D

Back