Whatever Happened To Blu-ray?

Yeah my number one peeve with blu-rays is the need to deal with menus. Why they won't allow you to play the movie from the menu by pressing the play button on the remote will never make sense to me.

Ahh girl, you is so crazy! You just messin wit people!

anydvd_sub.gif

I just bought a 25 pack of BD-R's for $10 at Microcenter to backup my pictures and music. I'll make double copies of all the data in case the shelf life isn't great.

I bought my lifetime sub for $99 USD. They have deals all the time that take off a chunk of the price.

I bought my lifetime sub for $99 USD. They have deals all the time that take off a chunk of the price.

I'd love to buy it for a discount, but I have never seen any place to enter the monthly discount codes and I have gone all the way to "press submit to buy".

I gu [buffering] ess so

How big of screen? What kind of audio system are you using?

Normally, this is fine. It's fine for most people. When you get into the video/audiophiles, things change. A lot. Large screen, good audio system - Blu-ray. Streaming is just shameful on a good/great setup. Even with a good network connection, it can be mediocre. However, streaming from a local server is fine for most things. :)

Blu-rays are, for the most part, selling at the same price point now as when DVD was at its peak. I remember when the format wars were going on and spending $40-$50 on a standard Blu-ray. Now they just need to stop packing a DVD and Ultraviolet copy with the damn things to reduce the price even more.

To those preaching HD streaming... Get back to me when I can stream full 1080p content that is encoded at 40 Mbps, in addition to lossless surround audio up to 24.5 Mbps, like a standard Blu-ray allows. With all the throttling and preferential treatment going around, it isn't going to happen unless you have Google Fiber or something similar.

Yup, agreed 100%. Most movies I'm OK with streaming, but anything that I truly love gets purchased on BRD. I like the idea of being able to watch my favorites anytime I want in the best quality possible. I do have a decent HT system, so the better quality sound is part of the appeal for me. YMMV.

I disagree. Sure, some bla-ray titles are reasonably priced but they usually aren't worth watching. Why would I pay $20+ for a blu-ray when I can stream it for 1/4 of the price in "HD"?
One reason....audio quality. The audio quality of Netflix stinks!!!! Bad sound in - bad sound out. If streaming could stream without glitches and full bandwidth High Resolution audio - sure, streaming would be the bomb, but until then.....I'll stay with BD.

No, that day is already here! My son came home from Korea and used over 85gb of data in just 1.5 weeks!!! At that time I had a cap of 150gbs (I only averaged using 10gb a month). Now I have a 350gb cap - but still, the overage charges are crazy. BD ....yes, please!

No, that day is already here! My son came home from Korea and used over 85gb of data in just 1.5 weeks!!! At that time I had a cap of 150gbs (I only averaged using 10gb a month). Now I have a 350gb cap - but still, the overage charges are crazy. BD ....yes, please!

IMHO, caps on land based broadband should be criminal.

I still enjoy Blu-ray for movies I love and will watch repeatedly. The quality of not only the video but also the sound (not to mention actually having surround sound) is far superior to any HD streaming.

^^^^^^^ this

I have done a lot of streaming of HD quality movies on apple tv and roku3 and nothing touches the audio quality of a blu-ray... the video quality is a bit closer in comparison but that too is very noticeably better on a blu-ray. Streaming is convenient for on the fly / spur of the moment needs or just casual watching imo but having a blu-ray of my favorite flicks is essential for any serious movie enjoyment.

Back