What Z790 Board has your interest?

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
I'm looking at the Taichi even though it's a EATX this time around or the cheaper ASROCK Riptide I'm wondering if I should upgrade to DDR5 and a New Motherboard. Or just drop in Raptor Lake inside my Z690 Asus Tuf with DDR4. I think the upgrade to DDR5 would pay off big time in the long run though even though Benchmarks don't show much today.

I'm looking at the Taichi even though it's a EATX this time around or the cheaper ASROCK Riptide I'm wondering if I should upgrade to DDR5 and a New Motherboard. Or just drop in Raptor Lake inside my Z690 Asus Tuf with DDR4. I think the upgrade to DDR5 would pay off big time in the long run though even though Benchmarks don't show much today.

I don't think it would pay off "big time" at all. Sure you'll get more performance depending on what RAM you buy, but you likely wouldn't notice a difference outside of benchmarks.

Personally, I'm thinking of just keeping my DDR4 motherboard, dropping in a 13700k, and then waiting to see what the next gen AMD/Intel brings to the table.

I don't think it would pay off "big time" at all. Sure you'll get more performance depending on what RAM you buy, but you likely wouldn't notice a difference outside of benchmarks.

Personally, I'm thinking of just keeping my DDR4 motherboard, dropping in a 13700k, and then waiting to see what the next gen AMD/Intel brings to the table.
Agreed, buying a Z790 mobo seems like a huge waste of money at this point.

I would definitely hold onto Z690 and DDR4 until they start dropping DDR5-7600+ modules. GSkill and others have DDR5-7600 ready soon. DDR5-8000+ is extremely likely sometime next year.

More than likely holding onto my Z690 EVGA board myself. Everything I have read says that Z790 brings little to the table.

actually, picked up a z690 msi ddr5 edge wifi mpg board and a 12700kf they should be a potent enough platform i have no use for the additional e cores on raptor lake 13th gen doesn't have much appealing to me over 12th which can be found for a good deal right now.

Last edited:
Basically any with a pcie5 m2 slot has my interest. Pcie4 nvme drives are plenty fast but still, I wants what I wants.

So far the only one I saw recently that had one was the asus rog strix super mega ultra chicken, over 9000 board.

I was hoping we would start moving away from the $1k-2k boards back into the realms of reality.

Agreed, buying a Z790 mobo seems like a huge waste of money at this point.
Yeah depending on if you are going to go for an expensive board and still need to buy faster ram It may not be the biggest gains for swapping the motherboard & ram. I was coming from a 6th gen i7 so for me the jump to z690 is going to be pretty huge. Now if i was on a z690 to begin with I wouldn't be thinking about upgrading for a few years quite literally lol

just picked up a z690 board... hopefully 13900k once out.... and my case will fit a car in it so i am good for future boards and gpu's

I see the same thing. too bad, since I have a Maingear Vybe red case that is ATX only.
I hate (as silly as this is) the way it hangs over in my O11 non-XL, so same issue here. My workstations have mega cases but these aren’t yet workstation CPUs to me.

just picked up a z690 board... hopefully 13900k once out.... and my case will fit a car in it so i am good for future boards and gpu's
I just picked up a z690 board also, was on the fence about going z790 for a while but couldn't justify the z790 over the z690. I went with a used 12700k though you are going for the 13900k?

Prices went up for all the Boards think I'm going to skip this Gen. Alot of the lower End boards are stripped of Sata Ports or have only X3 M.2 slots.

welp, it's settled boys. ASRock Z790 Sonic The Hedgehog Edition

1666292203221.png

1666292098853.png

1666292110592.png

Last edited:
Since socket 1700 is EOL think I'll hold on to the Z690--maybe upgrade to the i7-13700KF. Especially since no huge differences between Z6-Z7 series MB.

ASUS ROG Strix advertises Power Stages. Is that very important to overclock? I want something equivalent of ASUS Hero X WiFi that overclocked 8700K to 5.0Ghz with ease and remained stable for years. I want the same for i7 13700K/KF.

Are there any i7 13700K/KF + Z690 DDR4 vs i7 13700K/KF Z790 DDR5 benchmarks out there?

Last edited:
Asus has always been my go to motherboard for as long as Ive been a PC enthusiast and that goes back to their very first motherboard but lately I've been forced to consider alternatives due to ridiculous pricing and lifew changing situation but if money wasnt an issue, I would go with the Asus Rog Strix Z790-E Wifi. Ive had nothing but rock solid stability and overclockability with those boards in the past.

Last edited:
Back