what your buying, Intel i7 6950X , i7 6900K , i7 6850K or i7 6800K?

which new processor are you getting?

• Intel i7 6950X

• i7-6900K

• i7-6850k

• i7-6800k

• old and cheaper: 5960x

• i7-5930k

• i7-5820k

• i7-6700k

• i7-4790k

• cheap i5, i3 or amd?

Results are only viewable after voting.
What motherboard/ram are you guys planning to use with these? I picked up an 6800k today and I haven't upgraded in forever so I have no idea what's what. I'm thinking of getting the Asus ROG Strix X99 Gaming but I have no idea what ram I should get to go with it.

I'm going to wait for the AMD Zen to see what they can deliver. If it's a reasonable combination of price and performance then I'll go ahead and get one.

What motherboard/ram are you guys planning to use with these? I picked up an 6800k today and I haven't upgraded in forever so I have no idea what's what. I'm thinking of getting the Asus ROG Strix X99 Gaming but I have no idea what ram I should get to go with it.

I plan to get the MSI x99a gaming 7 motherboard with gskill 3000mhz ram

I'm going with an X99-A II from ASUS, and a 64GB Crucial DDR4-2400 kit.

it's always a safe bet to choose ram from the vendor's QVL list. i did this for my Sandy Bridge build and have never had a single ram related issue. i did the same (ordered off the QVL list) for my incoming Skylake build.

it's always a safe bet to choose ram from the vendor's QVL list. i did this for my Sandy Bridge build and have never had a single ram related issue. i did the same (ordered off the QVL list) for my incoming Skylake build.

I never knew they had QVL's for motherboards...derp...learn something new every day :D. I'm actually thinking of returning the Broadwell-E build and going with Skylake as well. Just got caught up in the hype but if I'm being realistic, I don't do anything that would require more than 4 cores and 99% of my game time is playing Dota 2 and Overwatch anyways.

I never knew they had QVL's for motherboards...derp...learn something new every day :D. I'm actually thinking of returning the Broadwell-E build and going with Skylake as well. Just got caught up in the hype but if I'm being realistic, I don't do anything that would require more than 4 cores and 99% of my game time is playing Dota 2 and Overwatch anyways.

eh who knows those extra cores may come in handy down the road. for me, and my purely gaming rig, i was staring at two options for the same price: 1) 6700K + GTX1070 SLI, or 2) 6800K + GTX1080. i chose the 6700K GTX1070 SLI build.

6700k -

we are starved for cpu performance in DX11 so every bit of IPC and clockspeed counts
DX12/Vulkan will reduce cpu requirments so there's much smaller need of trading performance in DX11 for it with 6 cores

I'm not touching windows 10 turn as long as I can so DX12 hardly matters to me and Vulkan just started

It's cheaper than 5820k and much cheaper than Broadwell-E, mobo is cheaper for them too

And last but not least Broadwell-E turned out to be overclocking disaster

I recently updated from the X79 and a 1650V2 (4930K equivalent) to the X99 Classified with a 5820K to tide me over. I'm waiting for some 1650 to 1680V4 processors to drop. The Xeons are much higher quality, run much cooler even with higher voltage, and overclock just as good as their i7 counterparts.
I thought only the E5-1xxx v2 CPUs were overclockable (i.e. multiplier unlocked) - are the v3 and v4 unlocked too?

Hello, I did not vote because my X79 board died in March, was hoping to get it through to broadwell-e launch but it was not to be so. Acquired 5930k, Gigabyte GA-X99p SLI mb, samsung 950 pro 512GB, and 4 16GB sticks of gskill 3,000mhz ddr4. Seems similar enough to x79/3930k with same quantity of ram, is somewhat more power efficient, and pcie 3.0 x4 ssd's are nice, as is type c usb for rapid charging nexus 6p and maybe a TB3 DAS device in the future.

Going from 3930K to 5930K is a moderate jump in IPC and overall performance. However because it's only two generations behind (SB-E then IVB-E and then HW-E) it's maybe on average ~13% at the most from SB-E to HW-E compared with IPC gains and improvements over Gulftown to HW-E.

The Intel Haswell-E CPU Review: Core i7-5960X, i7-5930K and i7-5820K Tested

The 3930k could probably overcome alot of the difference in IPC because of higher overclocking headroom.

The Sanybridge CPUs were the last really great overclockers - a 6-core sandybridge at 4.6+ Ghz is probably comparable to the 6800k

Yeah, I wouldn't have upgraded if my Sabertooth x79 hadn't died with 3 months of warranty left. X79 build is now the backup.

1151 is the only socket from Intel or AMD that is not a dead end. Although I admit upgrades will likely not be worthwhile for most with the IPC increases of recent times.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm looking at upgrade from i5 3570k. Never even overclocked it as it basically did everything i needed just fine and i never got around to getting an after market cooler. But i could stand to move to an i7 for multithreading, i don't game so much as i use 3d apps an game editors.

I would really like a 6 or even 8 core but not sure the power/cooling requirements and the cost are entirely justified since i seem to be getting by with an i5 already. I'm also on a raptor 10k rpm spinner still. I was thinking just getting an ssd and finally an after market cooler and overclock would be huge upgrade in performance on what i have already.
But i'm itching to at least get some multithreading and better HDD performance...M.2!

I've totally skipped sata ssd's, and now M.2 is the new thing, and i'm itching to upgrade basically because i have a chub for M.2. lol.

A 6700k platform seems to be the best bet in price performance from reading around. I know 6 or 8 is "better" but how much really? I don't do sli so 20 lanes is seemingly plenty. 140Watt cpu just seems excessive. Hell i was using a core 2 duo and a 7200 rpm spinner until 3 years ago o_O

I recently purposely tried to get my system to tank by running a render with music playing, and trying to play Doom 3 HD modded all at the same time, and while it did chug and sputter i could still play the game, though it was not optimal at all.
But that's not even a scenario that i would be under generally.

So, question for all the xenon and 6/8 core users. If i just got got an i7 ddr4 and an ssd, and basically tried the same thing, do you think it would be noticeably better? How about a 6 core? Would it still stutter under load like that? How many of you are even truly utilizing 8 cores and 40 lanes that aren't running servers or doing extremely heavy tasks like code crunching or video processing or heavy 3d renders?

not according to anandtech unless E has some magical IPC changes in arch...arch IPC should be the same on all of them.

The Intel 6th Gen Skylake Review: Core i7-6700K and i5-6600K Tested

1*1.058*1.112=1.176496 so ~18% SB to SKL is ~25%

EDIT: interesting...why does E vary so much in IPC compared to quad? its the same design no?

I would have assumed SB/SB-e would have same IPC...why different? SB-e/IB-e have better Memory BW and was less shitty?

HEDT parts have quad channel IMCs and more shared L3 cache per core

For example: a 2600K has 8MB to share across 4 cores and could transfer up to 25.6 GB/sec from main memory , while the 3960X has 15MB to share across 6 cores and could transfer up to 51.2 GB/sec. This means HEDT parts can do a better job at keeping the cores filled with data to work on, which reduces the amount of time they're waiting around to get what they need. However, moving data around is only part of the IPC equation, so upping the memory bandwidth or increasing cache availability will have a somewhat limited effect.

None of them. I expected that the new generation will bump / core pricing one step lower. Instead they just added a new step on top, and a ludicrously expensive one at that.

I'll buy when I can get 8 cores with decent clocks for single threaded performance 600-ish. Until then fuck intel, and their monopoly.

None of the above, I'm either going Skylake E or E5 skylake xeon when I finally retire my dual x5670 setup

For example: a 2600K has 8MB to share across 4 cores and could transfer up to 25.6 GB/sec from main memory , while the 3960X has 15MB to share across 6 cores and could transfer up to 51.2 GB/sec. This means HEDT parts can do a better job at keeping the cores filled with data to work on, which reduces the amount of time they're waiting around to get what they need. However, moving data around is only part of the IPC equation, so upping the memory bandwidth or increasing cache availability will have a somewhat limited effect.
if what you said is true thats interesting. All the more reason I wish quad cores had more love :/

or the HEDTs were not a gen behind.....

I have a question regarding the 6900k.. Since i have never owned a processor more than 4 cores. Currently i own a 4790k at 4.7-4.8 and was wondering if i had more PCIE lanes does this mean I can copy more files quicker to external drives or even multiply copies from one hard drive to another? I am talking 20-40gb files

was on the virge of getting a 6900, but someone locally was able to get me a 5960x for less than 7 bones. I had to jump on it.

I have a question regarding the 6900k.. Since i have never owned a processor more than 4 cores. Currently i own a 4790k at 4.7-4.8 and was wondering if i had more PCIE lanes does this mean I can copy more files quicker to external drives or even multiply copies from one hard drive to another? I am talking 20-40gb files

Not really. A single PCIe 3.0 lane can transfer data at 985MB/s while a sata III device can only transfer 600MB/s. Even if you had a PCIe SSD or RAID controller, you're still limited to how many lanes the device was designed to use. So if that's 4x, then it doesn't matter if the CPU has 20 lanes or 48, your device will still only use 4.

Whoops, voted 6800K but meant 6700K. I think its time for me to move on from this 3930K and RIVE, massive rig to something current and more streamlined. I'm looking at the 6700K for the hevc, quick sync, all the goodies I've been missing, tears up. I've been out of the upgraditis for a while thanks to the longevity of the 3930+RIVE.

I'm unsure of what's a good memory to go with. I was looking at the gskill trident 3600mhz or 3733mhz. Is that a decent choice?

I am thinking of grabbing a very good i7 5960X or i7 6850K based on how well it overclocks. I am not in a hurry at all.

what are you guys using these processors for because a skylake overclocked to 4.7-4.8 will beat the x99 v3 cpus haswell-e in gaming?

Although I am most likely not purchasing the 6950X processor any time soon my primary interest for that would not be gaming. It would be for the type of work I do in the day job (medical imaging research). Some research algorithms take hours for a single case and require both good single threaded and also good multithreaded performance.

Last edited:
what are you guys using these processors for because a skylake overclocked to 4.7-4.8 will beat the x99 v3 cpus haswell-e in gaming?

Some kind of professional work where time equals money I would suspect. That would also depend upon whether their apps are heavily threaded or not, and I hope they are.

The big chips also get a huge advantage in physics scoring in 3dmark family of benches which makes them ideal for serious benching, especially multi gpu benching.

meh none of the above. My 3930K at 4.5ghz is absolutely untouchable by any game of current tech. No need to upgrade.

Rendering, development. I work with Unreal Engine 4 and building lightmaps on that is incredibly intensive. Some of the other tools I use will also max my CPU for hours at a time also. I have 2x x5675s at 4.0GHz and I can still use more power. I could overclock more, but a crash due to instability = hours of wasted time.

hate to say it to you but you are misinformed

skylake runs better for games
He's not wrong. the 6700K is probably the fastest CPU you can get for gaming, but the difference between that and overclocked older generation CPUs is negligible. You'll see a difference maybe if you run CPU benchmarks, especially single-threaded ones, but when it comes to gaming, there is nothing that you can do on a 6700K than you can't do on a 3930K when overclocked.

Last edited:
Whoops, voted 6800K but meant 6700K. I think its time for me to move on from this 3930K and RIVE, massive rig to something current and more streamlined. I'm looking at the 6700K for the hevc, quick sync, all the goodies I've been missing, tears up. I've been out of the upgraditis for a while thanks to the longevity of the 3930+RIVE.

I'm unsure of what's a good memory to go with. I was looking at the gskill trident 3600mhz or 3733mhz. Is that a decent choice?
Not sure why you would go from a 6 core to 4 core from what ive seen there is no benefit going from a 3930k to a 6700k if anything its a downgrade

Back