What you do with 12GB+ desktop?

What you do with 12GB+ desktop memory?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

djstarfox

Gawd
Post your 12, 16, 24, or 32 GB desktop machines (no servers). What do you do with that much memory?

16gb here. I enjoy watching my RAM usage never go above 20%?

Messing around with a RAMdrive. Found a free program to allocate up to 4GB, but haven't had enough time to play with it yet.

Adobe CS5. Make a million pics of naked celebs while browsing on facebook with no profile pic.

Editing since 8GB was running low, and another 8GB was on sale so I bought it.
premiere-test.jpg

Post your 12, 16, 24, or 32 GB desktop machines (no servers). What do you do with that much memory?
Does a machine that sits under my desk and is used for electromagnetics simulation work (one at a time) count as a desktop? ;)

Also does having 48GB of ram disqualify it from the question ;).

I had no idea mag sims required so much memory.
The problem is with basically any 3D simulation work, the overall model complexity follows a cubic relationship to the mesh pitch and ram requirements are basically proportional to model complexity (the software can use disk instead but it slows to a crawl if it has to). So they can basically eat up as much memory as you can throw at them.

I have 12GB in my sig rig right now.

Use it primarily to do testing of my primes number program I have been working on.

Soon as I get it tweaked how I want it, i am going to try and stick my 6GB kit back in as well for a nice 18GB.

When i switched from my LGA775 setup with 8GB I had to go down to 6GB for quite a while which did not make me very happy.

That being said, as far as OSs go, XP was fine with 2GB for the most part, Vista and 7 I don't like to see less than 4GB.. 6GB being even better. anything over that just makes it that much better as long as you can use it whether it is because you want a whole bunch of programs all at once or have one or two programs that have the ability to use that much RAM.

If I can get my system stable with all 18GB stable at 2000, then i will probably use some of it for a RAM drive for swap file, etc.

I also vote for the e-peen strokage. 18GB. I used a healthy 1.5GB the other night editing a rather large image in photoshop...

Guess I should have put "Run Simulations" as an option in the poll. Anyone know if I can change a poll once posted? I don't see any option.

16 GB for Photoshop, was running low with 8 GB. 24.5 megapix camera, couple photos open and editing at the same time with a few layers each and memory disappears fast.

Graphics/editing, and VMs.

Though I would rather invest in 12GB for a VM server, then a workstation. Though ram is getting so cheap now, my nest workstation probably will have 8GB+ I'm getting by with 3.5GB for the stuff I do though. My problem is running of of GDI resources before ram runs out.

Video editing with any of the Adobe CSx suites. Definitely helps with Premiere Pro with HD content and After Effects with everything.

Being able to leave games tabbed out while having 2 browsers wilth a zillion tabs open (>1GB each), and running memory hungry distributed computing apps (~2GB total) at the same time.

1GB RamDisk dedicated for Firefox portable.
3GB RamDisk dedicated for TempFiles/scratch disk/etc

The rest for the machine, large system cache, photoshop uses boatloads, vmware, sonar, audition, corel x3, couple other intensive data apps.

I thought I was set with 12GB when the 920's first came out. Now I find myself rebooting and etc. every other day because I run out of memory without noticing, and then everything starts to give me problems. LOL. I think I want 24GB for my next workstation.

I've got 12GB of RAM in my gaming machine. What do I do with it? I play games on it. That's about the most memory usage the machine ever sees. My server with 8GB of RAM on the other hand has virtual machines going on it which can eat up a lot of it.

photo editing in photoshop, lightroom/elements, and gaming.

16GB in total and if I could go more I would.

All of the above? I hit 6gb without running any VMs or games. Adobe Lightroom takes up a fair bit, and when I'm running EVE and a VM on top of that, it isn't hard to hit 10gb+.

@Blue Fox:
I noticed that several people use more than one of the choices, but I wanted them to pick the top reason. I want to re-do the poll to allow multiple choices, allowing RAM disk and gaming as additional options. I guess I'll have to wait until this poll expires, then I'll start a new one.

@Madcoder:
What work you do that requires 12GB+ ram? Windows 7 and recent Linux kernels (2.6+) are pretty good about recycling memory without rebooting.

@Madcoder:
What work you do that requires 12GB+ ram? Windows 7 and recent Linux kernels (2.6+) are pretty good about recycling memory without rebooting.

Hey come on, don't throw a wrench in my excuse for more memory on my next build with all that logic. :D

Running two or three VMs on my workstation, while doing a lot of multitasking work causes me to run out of memory on occasion. Sure, with swapping and what-not optimizations it still runs smoothly, although I have had VMWare pop up and complain sometimes. The reboot part is just compulsive after having those occasional VMWare hangs while I was gone for a few hours.

Hey come on, don't throw a wrench in my excuse for more memory on my next build with all that logic. :D

Running two or three VMs on my workstation, while doing a lot of multitasking work causes me to run out of memory on occasion. Sure, with swapping and what-not optimizations it still runs smoothly, although I have had VMWare pop up and complain sometimes. The reboot part is just compulsive after having those occasional VMWare hangs while I was gone for a few hours.

I use a 4GB Photoshop scratch/RAMDisk out of my 16GB. It's where all my internet temp files, as well as system wide temps are. Opening up PS CS 5 64-bit in that environment is greased lightning and having a boat-load of high rez images open, think folders worth, is not a big deal. It's a nice luxury to have.

Stroking the e-peen should have definitely been in the options.... :)

I always did wonder what people would need 16GB+ of RAM for. Granted I would put it in if it cost the same, but I just see no point other than running a bunch of shit at once, which I can't stand to do anyways.

I use a 4GB Photoshop scratch/RAMDisk out of my 16GB. It's where all my internet temp files, as well as system wide temps are. Opening up PS CS 5 64-bit in that environment is greased lightning and having a boat-load of high rez images open, think folders worth, is not a big deal. It's a nice luxury to have.
I do similar things with ramdrives. I currently store the Second Life cache in it. Helps a lot when inworld.

Last edited:
I started with 6GB in my x58 system, but it just kept nagging me that I had unused RAM slots, so I bumped it up to 12GB for no reason at all. I think I need help . . .

24 gigs here. I can use it all up utilizing After Effects and Photoshop working on large print files.

It's way overkill for gaming, but for work, the more the better.

I run number engineering cruncher software. I have 1 system e/w 12 GB RAM & just about to bring a new online e/w 24 GB RAM ... the next will likely be 32 GB or 48 GB.

Depending on the problem being solved the amount of RAM used ranges from ~2 GB RAM to many GBs. For problems with smaller requirements, I can run 2 problems at the same time.

Playing Sims 3?

I kid, I kid, but since RAM is so cheap nowadays, I enjoy populating my slots with as much RAM as I can get, and never ever use virtual memory again! Keeps my system blisteringly fast.

I don't need to quote Bill Gates for the umpteenth time, right>

24GBs for running virtual machines, video encoding, and gaming. Simultaneously. I'm only using half my RAM slots so I can upgrade to 48GBs if I wanted to.

I recently upgraded from 2GB to 8GB for my T61 6460-66U. It's awesome to have a usage between 15-30%. I don't think I would be able to pop in more, but it would entirely be a matter of trial. Doesn't look like 8GB modules for laptops exist though.

I would like to go from 4GB DDR2-1000 to 8GB DDR2-1200 in my workstation, although 16GB would be nice too, but not possible without going DDR3.

EDIT: Would I benefit from disabling paging file having this much RAM?

Last edited:
Back