What You Do and Don't Get With The New iPhones

I don't know much about the capacitance of the human body, but that might actually be somewhat true: the metal ring around the button is capacitive and wakes the sensors in the button itself. A severed finger might not have enough stored capacitance to wake the sensor...maybe.

I know it's true, which is why I said it ;)

It's actually an optical test as most fingerprint scanners are optical based, for the actual detection of ridges. The sensor looks for certain light refraction that is caused by blood flow under the skin to determine if the finger is alive or dead.

Most don't go with the capacitance test since that can be more easily fooled, and is also more costly since the sensing portion of the fingerprint scanner is already an optical system. Adding an additional capacitance test is just another sensor (although not necessarily the same cost impact since smartphones already have a capacitive sensing screen).

I guess I should add that there are still capacitive and EF type fingerprint scanners that do use those same methods for alive/dead detection.

Have you actually ever seen a OLED screen? They look very different to AMOLED screens.

Also resorting to name calling just shows that you are on the wrong.

The (underlying) technology is the same. You're just wrong. It's not even debatable. Let it go. :)

You realize you just said "an active-matrix organic light-emitting diode is not an organic light-emitting diode" right? :rolleyes:
Correct, the key difference is that one is active matrix and the other is not.
Ok, so you agree that's what you said...

But, that being the case, what you said is clearly self-contradictory. AMOLED is OLED.

Put another way, in hopes of exposing exactly how little sense you're making. You've effectively tried to argue that "cheese and potatoes" isn't "potatoes" because of its assembly with cheese.

Sorry, but AM-OLED is still OLED, just like cheese and potatoes is still potatoes.

Have you actually ever seen a OLED screen? They look very different to AMOLED screens.

Also resorting to name calling just shows that you are on the wrong.

And a PVA screen looks quite a bit different than an IPS screen, or a TN screen. Yet they are all using similar TFT technology, just variants. AMOLED is a subtype of OLED. This is not something anyone can reasonably dispute, ever.

Your improper use of terminology should have been my first clue.

Clinton might argue that it depends on what your definition of "is" is. I argue, though, that there's pretty clearly OLED semen on the AMOLED dress.

Curious to see a camera quality review. I mean, my 2.5 year old HTC Inspire that ATT gave me for free with a 2 year contract has an 8MP camera that takes awesome quality photos. The new Nokia phone has a 40+ MP camera (yes, I'm aware more MP != better pictures), you'd think that would be bigger on their priority list.

random noob guy: cold water is more wet* than hot water
rest: ???
rng: :drool: ...........

why do you waste your time with this guy?

*how do you say this properly lol

i'll give it 2 week before someone comes out with something that'll let you bypass fingerprint sensor.

Wait so the new cheaper iPhone is still $200 with a contract, the same price as the One and other phones that are premium?

So another generation of zero innovation, just new colors. Sadly morons will continue to tout this thing as amazing despite there literally being dozens of more advanced phones available.

Ok, so you agree that's what you said...

But, that being the case, what you said is clearly self-contradictory. AMOLED is OLED.

Put another way, in hopes of exposing exactly how little sense you're making. You've effectively tried to argue that "cheese and potatoes" isn't "potatoes" because of its assembly with cheese.

Sorry, but AM-OLED is still OLED, just like cheese and potatoes is still potatoes.

A better analogy would be AMOLED being rotten potatoes and OLED being fresh potatoes.

The visual difference between AMOLED and OLED is clear, OLED clearly looks better in every aspect, AMOLED looks very similar to LCD and in some cases LCD screens look better.

Their are other major differences such a power draw. OLED displays only use a fraction of the power that AMOLED screens do.

Well, the gold/champagne is a bit different. Awful in at least 79 ways, but different. I'm not aware of any major manufacturer offering anything similarly gaudy. I expect the Chinese will absolutely eat the gold variant up.

The recent Asus Fonepad was offered in a champagne color. Vertu has been making gaudy gold phones for a long time.

I don't care what comes with the new iPhone 5S, I just care about what the NSA is getting. And despite what Apple says, the NSA is getting everyone's fingerprints. They already have access to virtually all data used on an iPhone for every app, so why not just request this as well. Hell, there's a reason the NSA has called the iPhone their favorite phone in leaked documents, because Apple apparently caters to all their wishes. Sure the fingerprints are encrypted as Apple said, but so is all the other personal data on the iPhone, and the NSA is collecting all that unencrypted.

I wish I could draw, because I'd so make this into cartoon. It would show employees of the NSA around a table designing the new iPhone, then they send a NSL over to Apple with the new fingerprint scanner feature. Feel free to take this idea.

The visual difference between AMOLED and OLED is clear, OLED clearly looks better in every aspect, AMOLED looks very similar to LCD and in some cases LCD screens look better.
There is no visual difference between OLED and AMOLED screens of the same sub-pixel configuration.

What you don't get:
- Wireless charging of any kind.
- Standard MicroUSB 3.0 port.
- microSD card slot.
- OIS on the camera.
- OLED Screen.

I could go on. lol

Seriously this is getting to be a joke now. Not only is Apple struggling to remain ahead but now we have more of these recycled updates that are still missing key features?

Apple continues to make me happy of my decision to jump to Android in recent years.

A better analogy would be AMOLED being rotten potatoes and OLED being fresh potatoes.

Their are other major differences such a power draw. OLED displays only use a fraction of the power that AMOLED screens do.

This clearly shows you have no idea what you're talking about.

I donno what side of short bus you licked the window on this morning, but I believe you're either trolling or just plain dumb in the understanding of how technology evolves.

Here is some fine reading for you about OLED's and how AMOLED's are still OLED's.
http://www.oled-info.com/handbook/

i just dont get what apple is thinking. i have to carry an iphone 5 for work and i hate the thing. its too small, i cant type on in and it doesnt have a notification led. wtf apple how hard would it be to let me know i have a txt or email without having to press a button? compared to my s4 or even my old nexus 4 i gave to my kid the iphone is at best a toy and at worst a shitty media player with draconian drm.

There you have it, back to real tech news please. ;)

With smart ass remarks like this, you're barely a credible person to be posting news. It's even worse when you make smart ass remarks that are wrong since you don't read all articles.

What's up with people being upset over not having a 5" screen?

I swear I'm the only person alive who thinks a 4" screen is plenty big enough on my phone.
My DINC 2 is as big a phone as I'd ever want.

Too bad I can't get a high end Android that fits comfortably in my pocket.

Nope, I don't want anything bigger than 4 inches. I get it, some people honestly do want and like bigger screens, but it isn't for everyone.

And second: why on earth does the 5S need to be 64bit.. Besides for marketing?

I bet if this were a post about an Android phone having 64 bit you and every other Android fan would be singing it's praises saying it was yet another reason Android was "superior" to the iPhone. Superior is in quotes on purpose.

I'll agree with you on that point. too many of the smaller/cheaper phonse have way to little flash, or too slow CPU's.

Can't believe that some new phones only come with 4GB flash, maybe saving them $3 on the cost of the phone.

As for quad core, I really don't see the need for most people, I'd rather have a faster/lower power dual core.

+1 here... Just got a HTC One... The screen is just a bit big for me, it is uncomfortable to get to the back button. Now this could be a placement issue more then anything but it is not as comfortable as my HTC rezound was with smaller screen.

Now the performance is a nice boost though.

unintelligent and intelligent are the same thing because they both have intelligent in them.

I can haz Nobel prize now?

I bet if this were a post about an Android phone having 64 bit you and every other Android fan would be singing it's praises saying it was yet another reason Android was "superior" to the iPhone. Superior is in quotes on purpose.

I agree with you here. There's no reason to criticize the 64-bit move since all these phones will be there within a year or two. Somebody had to be the first there and Apple had the best timing. The good news is that this means somebody out there (TSMC?) is finally fab'ing ARMv8 chips in volume. This at least bodes well for NVIDIA getting their Project Denver stuff fab'd next year.

unintelligent and intelligent are the same thing because they both have intelligent in them.

It would be unintelligent to make poor analogies.

Here -

x86 vs. x86-64
Subset, subtype, subgroup.

Intelligent vs. unintelligent
Complete opposites.

OLED vs. AMOLED

Matter vs. antimatter
Complete opposites.

It would be unintelligent to make poor analogies.

Here -

x86 vs. x86-64

Intelligent vs. unintelligent
Complete opposites.

OLED vs. AMOLED

Matter vs. antimatter
Complete opposites.

Yeah it's really amazing to see just how awful the world has become.

I'm smirking trying not to bust out laughing and scare everyone around me because of how funny/sad this example is. I really hope this wasn't well thought out. :)

i've waited this long i'll stick out little longer to see the watch version of phones that will be the thing i'd like, this touch screen phones are too delicate drop one and you are in whole for least 100 bucks, still rocking my samsung slider phone, i've nice second hand for all other stuff without giving out extra $60/month

Yeah, I agree with you on that.

I won't repeat it here, but my reply to those complaining about wanting a 5-inch screen is here:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040188193&postcount=146

I'd like my smartphones and phones to be handheld, not a tablet or "phablet", or fat tablet. 4.5-inches is fine, but no bigger.

Yea...

You stated the S3 is an appropriate size while the S4 is too big ...

*hint: The S4 is smaller in everyway shape and form then the S3 (lighter too! *magic*)

my head, it hurts ...

You've been grasping at straws with this OLED thing since someone blasted you for posting a ton of incorrect information. Who exactly are you trying to fool, yourself or people who know how display technology works?

Back