What would you upgrade next?

LucasG

Gawd
I just literally did a quick build to get my PC setup again and since I live in a country were parts are not as cheap or easily found I got a cheap air cooler, case and power supply, I think?

What would you upgrade next? Video card?

• ASUS PRIME Z390-A
  • Intel Core i7-9700K
  • be quiet! Pure Rock
  • G.SKILL 16GB Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3200MHz
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5
  • Dell 24" UltraSharp U2417H
  • Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD
  • Toshiba 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA
  • Phanteks Eclipse P300 Case
  • Seasonic GM-650 80 Plus Gold

100% videocard.

Get yourself a nice 1080Ti for around $450 and call it a day. Still the best card for the money and will be for a long time.

Is the performance difference very noticeable? I'm on a small screen still, would like to change that too.

Actually, in places where parts are either too expensive or too hard to find there is no worthwhile upgrade for that system at this time. One can only do so much with the older Pascal GPU architecture, and $450 for a 1080 Ti is just pushing it. As a matter of fact, a GPU that delivers a worthwhile enough increase in performance over that GTX 1070 will cost more than $500. At this point I am very reluctant to recommend such a GPU upgrade.

If I were to go to a 2080 in the near future I think it would be best to first upgrade the monitor to a 27".

MASSIVE increase in performance over the 1070. Especially if you upgrade to 1440p
True that. I was assuming that he would be sticking with his small, lower-resolution monitor(s) for the foreseeable future.

I would get a high refresh monitor. Either a 1440p, an ultrawide, even a budget 24in 1080p 144hz monitor if you are on a tight budget, like the AOC 24G2 (if you can find it in stock) or the Pixio PX247. That way you can have dual monitors for productivity that are the same size, and resolution, but one is a gaming monitor.

That right now is the weakest part of your rig. Everything else is really modern and I think you just have the upgrade itch.

I would get a high refresh monitor. Either a 1440p, an ultrawide, even a budget 24in 1080p 144hz monitor if you are on a tight budget, like the AOC 24G2 (if you can find it in stock) or the Pixio PX247. That way you can have dual monitors for productivity that are the same size, and resolution, but one is a gaming monitor.

That right now is the weakest part of your rig. Everything else is really modern and I think you just have the upgrade itch.
Wouldn't it be better to get a G-SYNC monitor rather than FreeSync? I haven't checked if this one is supported by NVIDIA's old monitors certification.

Back