What would you recommend? Video Editing Software needed

Zer0_II

Weaksauce
What would you recommend? Video Editing Software
I'm looking for video editing software that will let me do the following. Convert various video formats such as avi, wmv, mpeg, etc. Let me save the output in various formats. Basic editing functions (I don't want anything too complicated, I mostly just want to be able to cut sections of the video out), and merge files together. What would you all recommend that I get? I've searched on google but didn't find anything that suited my needs. Most of them would only save the file in one format, or they lacked other features. Like I said I'm not looking for anything too complicated. Something that's easy to use would be preferable since I don't have much experience with video editing apps.

Zer0_II said:
What would you recommend? Video Editing Software
I'm looking for video editing software that will let me do the following. Convert various video formats such as avi, wmv, mpeg, etc. Let me save the output in various formats. Basic editing functions (I don't want anything too complicated, I mostly just want to be able to cut sections of the video out), and merge files together. What would you all recommend that I get? I've searched on google but didn't find anything that suited my needs. Most of them would only save the file in one format, or they lacked other features. Like I said I'm not looking for anything too complicated. Something that's easy to use would be preferable since I don't have much experience with video editing apps.

The Pegasys line of applications.

i.e. TMPGEnc & TMPGEnc DVD Author
http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html

I would also recommend checking out www.videohelp.com & www.doom9.org, as they have excellent tutorials.

Adobe Premier, or Final cut pro is very easy....
both very similiar in functions too..

that is if u wanna fork up the dough..

Vile: I'm really not interested in making DVDs or anything of that nature. Most of the tutorials on the sites that you mentioned as well as the program revolve around that. I just want to be able to save the movie in one of the formats that I mentioned avi, mpeg, or wmv. I know that the quality won't be as good, but I'm willing to deal with that. I tried Blaze Media Pro. I would like to get something like that that actually works. I thought that it was way too buggy. It would get stuck on 40% a lot whenever I tried to save a file, as well as a lot of other little things that I noticed. Does anyone know of something like it that works well?

Inquisition: Adobe Premiere and Final Cut Pro are a little bit too advanced for me. I don't need a program that has that many features. It would be overkill for me because I don't do that much video editing. I would much prefer something that is a lot less simple. The features on Blaze Media Pro were about all that I needed, but unfortunately it wasn't very stable.

Zer0_II said:
I'm really not interested in making DVDs or anything of that nature. Most of the tutorials on the sites that you mentioned as well as the program revolve around that. I just want to be able to save the movie in one of the formats that I mentioned avi, mpeg, or wmv. I know that the quality won't be as good, but I'm willing to deal with that. I tried Blaze Media Pro. I would like to get something like that that actually works. I thought that it was way too buggy. It would get stuck on 40% a lot whenever I tried to save a file, as well as a lot of other little things that I noticed. Does anyone know of something like it that works well?

TMPGEnc supports DVDs, but does much more than that.
It lets you edit, merge, split and convert video (avi, mpg, etc)

For basic editing, check also check out VirtualDub

How much is price a factor?

For quick editing, I use Windows Movie Maker. Its always worked well for me, and very easy to use. It only saves in a couple formats though, AVI and WMV are all i can recall. I'm sure you could find converter somewhere if you needed other types.

Vile: I tried out TMGenc DVD Author. Whenever I try to open up any type of mpg file I get the following error message.

"A video sequence header is necessary for every GOP in a standard DVD. The video sequence header is incorrect"

and whenever I try to open up an avi or wmv file I get this error message.

"This is an illegal video file. For DVD standard you can only use MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 video"

Slickben: I've tried Windows Movie Maker, but I have yet to been able to save a file. It always hangs during the save procedure.

100% free and complete overkill
also requires Linux, but what the hell,
someone someday might use the search feature :p

http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

sorry having nothing to contribute to the error problem
other than it sounds like the source file needs to be re-encoded to a supported format

Vile: Aside from what I mentioned above the program won't let me save the file in any of the formats that I wanted to save it in (wmv, avi, or mpg). I think I need something that isn't so aimed at DVD creating.

Ice Czar: I guess I should have mentioned that I'm running Windows XP, so I'm not able to use the Linux app that you mentioned.

yet :p

there is always dual booting ;)
actually Id encourage anyone to download the Knoppix CD for rescue and security use
(lets see a virus infect a RAM Drive and ROM :p)

an easy in to Linux worth experimenting with

I would love to try out Linux, and I eventually plan to do so because I've heard too many good things about it to just ignore it. However at the current moment I have a lot of things going on in my life and I don't really have the time to dedicate to learning how the Linux OS works. I would rather wait till I have more time on my hands before I try it out. Another reason is that I don't have very much space on my harddrive, so I wouldn't be able to dual boot. A live CD would definately be a better option, and when I do decide to try my hand with Linux that is probably the way I'll go.

theres also pinnacle video software.. its buggy and slow last time i used it but ppl find it easy and worth it

I'm a premiere fan, but as people have stated it's quite costly and probably a little excessive feature wise than you currently need.

Zer0_II said:
Vile: Aside from what I mentioned above the program won't let me save the file in any of the formats that I wanted to save it in (wmv, avi, or mpg). I think I need something that isn't so aimed at DVD creating.

Ice Czar: I guess I should have mentioned that I'm running Windows XP, so I'm not able to use the Linux app that you mentioned.

What type of file is your original (source)?

Does Winmpg have any editing features? I checked out the features on the homepage and there was no mention of any type of editing functions for the program. As for Nero Express..I'm not interested in making DVDs so that's not for me either.

Back