What would you recommend for a 2TB 7200 rpm drive?

FM 3370

Gawd
I have about 5 250GB hard drives that I'd like to consolidate into one and was wondering what brand and model of 2TB hard drives people seem to like most. I've been out of the loop on hard drives but at least know there is a 2TB out there. Oh....and I'm looking for a SATA drive. It's time to get rid of those IDE drives.... :)

The WD Black and RE4 (non GP) have been consistently reviewed as the fastest... Certainly not the cheapest. I've read that the 2GB WD Green drives have a few problems but I dunno if those have been sorted. Been really happy with my 1.5TB Seagate 5900RPM drives as they are in my NAS which won't pump a lot of speed anyway... Dunno about the 2TB in that series but they are 200 vs 300 for the WD Black or RE4

I've read that the 2GB WD Green drives have a few problems but I dunno if those have been sorted.

The problems he speaks of are User Expectations.
Users get a GP 5400RPM drive and expect it to perform like a 7200 RPM drive during simultaneous read/write transactions and it simply does not. And was never designed to.

hitachi...i despise WD's policy of gimping their non enterprise drives from use in raid arrays

Interesting....the Hitachi 7200RPMs do seem cheaper after doing a bit of research....

Update: So I called my local Fry's and they had a Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM 32mb on sale for $140. Headed down there and snatched it right up. Time to work and get rid of my IDE drives. Thanks to all of you for the suggestions.

Last edited:
Back