What would you like to see in an Ubuntu article?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Brian Boyko, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Brian Boyko

Brian Boyko [H] Consumer Editor

Say, theoretically, I wanted to write an article looking in-Depth at the idea of using Ubuntu Linux as a day-to-day machine.

What questions would you like answered in such an article? What things would you do with your computer that you absolutely "must have" in a Linux-based computer?

Before you ask, yes, I do plan to test Cedega.

-- Brian.

2. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost 2[H]4U

This type of article has been done multiple times on that that Intarweb... besides, there's a Linux forum here that this might better be posted in...

I "mess with" Ubuntu on a regular basis, but it's simply not a viable desktop OS for me for a variety of reasons which I won't go into. Windows works, period. And yes that's my opinion, and I'm stickin' to it...

3. swatbat

swatbat [H]ardForum Junkie

Things I would look for would be ease of install with the extra apps you would need to make it a day to day machine. IE the etra codacs for mp3s, dvds, etc.

Also

Update system compaired to MS update and other linux update systems

Compatability with various hardware including wireless nics, scanners, printers, etc

Go into the fun of getting good 3d preformance out of it using nvidia cards and ati cards(since ati's linux support is so good......)

I'd also break it down compairing stardard apps that either come installed or can be installed via the add remove against simular windows apps that most people use(ie compair the cd/dvd apps to nero or ez cd)

Thats about it off the top of my head. That right there could be a long informative article.