What would you do in this situation?

rhexis

[H]ard|Gawd
over the last decade i have sold a number of items on this forum. never had an issue with a buyer and always shipped the next day after receiving the funds. this last item i sold has not gone well and i am looking for advice. first the backstory.

back in january of this year i sold a mint condition galaxy s7 to a member of this forum. i had the phone for little less than a year and had zero problems with it. the phone was never abused or dropped, was always in a case and did not have a single blemish on it. it was in mint condition. i sold the phone for 375 usd which i thought was a very fair price. i am not looking to make money as i am fortunate to be financially comfortable. anyway the buyer received the phone the 3rd week in january. i left him good heat and thought that was the end of it but i was wrong.

around the end of february the buyer emails me and says the screen is flashing on and off. after several emails troubleshooting the issue i offer to refund him if he shipped it back and the phone did not have any external damage. i never heard back from him so i thought the issue was resolved. again i was wrong.

last night i get a couple of emails saying that the logic board "has died" and the phone wont charge. it has been over 5 months now since i sold the phone to him. again i never had an issue with the phone. i would not have sold the fucking phone had i known it was defective. i also did not imply that the phone came with a warranty when i sold it.

im inclined to ignore this now. i dont think i should be liable after this much time has passed. am i in the wrong? what is the general consensus as to what i should do at this point? thanks for reading this.

Last edited:
Nope. It worked when he got it, it worked for a while after he got it. It's all his now.

Hmm, the trouble I see right off the bat is; he has been a member since 2013 and only has 18 posts.

As Bandalo stated, "it worked when he got it, it worked for a while after he got it."

He has had it 5 months now and who knows how he treats products that he buys! That phone could have been dropped several times by now.

Let me know if this user changes his Heatware evaluation to you!!!

I am a moderator on Heatware and have read the eval that the user gave you and if for some stupid reason he tries to change it, I will see to that it remains positive.

If u were paid thru PayPal, u may need to check to see when's the last day for the buyer to file a claim. I'm just saying be prepared. Why would a person wait this long to say "and now it's having this problem"? They had enough time to fully check out the phone.

Also keep screenshots of the conversation between the both of you.

over the last decade i have sold a number of items on this forum. never had an issue with a buyer and always shipped the next day after receiving the funds. this last item i sold has not gone well and i am looking for advice. first the backstory.

back in january of this year i sold a mint condition galaxy s7 to a member of this forum. i had the phone for little less than a year and had zero problems with it. the phone was never abused or dropped, was always in a case and did not have a single blemish on it. it was in mint condition. i sold the phone for 375 usd which i thought was a very fair price. i am not looking to make money as i am fortunate to be financially comfortable. anyway the buyer received the phone the 3rd week in january. i left him good heat and thought that was the end of it but i was wrong.

around the end of february the buyer emails me and says the screen is flashing on and off. after several emails troubleshooting the issue i offer to refund him if he shipped it back and the phone did not have any external damage. i never heard back from him so i thought the issue was resolved. again i was wrong.

last night i get a couple of emails saying that the logic board "has died" and the phone wont charge. it has been over 5 months now since i sold the phone to him. again i never had an issue with the phone. i would not have sold the fucking phone had i known it was defective. i also did not imply that the phone came with a warranty when i sold it.

im inclined to ignore this now. i dont think i should be liable after this much time has passed. am i in the wrong? what is the general consensus as to what i should do at this point? thanks for reading this.

You are way past the timeframe in which a normal person would expect any help. Tell them you're sorry they are having trouble, but it's been 5 months since the sale and they are on their own. .

thanks all i appreciate the feedback. i have kept all the emails and messages. my wife is an attorney and she said not to worry about it and she can take care of any paypal claim if that occurs. next time i will go with my gut and just sell to established forum members.

Last edited:
I would be very interested to hear how this turns out. Over the years PP has largely abandoned sellers to overly protect buyers. The PP site clearly states:

"To take advantage of Purchase Protection, we require, among other things, that PayPal accounts be kept in good standing and ask that a dispute be filed within 180 days of your purchase or payment."

It is possible that the buyer could file a claim within the 180 days and leverage this protection to have "rented" the phone from the OP for 6 months. I've read horror stories where unsuspecting sellers lost out on a sale well after they thought the transaction was closed. OP, please keep us informed as to the outcome and good luck with PP if the buyer eventually files a claim. Having a lawyer in the family seems like an advantage but realize that you are going up against the Empire ...

Fuuuuuuck that guy. He expects support for an item he bought secondhand 5 months after the fact?

Nope. Fuck that guy.

Seller sells used product sold as used product and bought by buyer knowing it's a used product, buyer users product and has issues well after the purchase date then decides to complain, means nothing at this point. Unless the original advertisement for the product specified a warranty of any kind was offered (repair/return/refund/etc) then none can be implied and you're good to go, OP.

Ignore any future contact from that person, basically, you've done your due diligence from what I read based on your statements.

Dont respond, wait for his next action.
Its clear nothing you do except giving money will make him go away.
This way its all on him.
The less information you give, the less he can use as ammunition.

Don't respond. 5 months! No way, dude! Guy messed up the phone! I only give DOA on electronics either way, despite the fact that paypal seems to think everyone should back these things for months! But even if he began a case paypal would not step in after this much time. We aren't tech giants! We can't back our used shit with warranties

Only question I have is. Doesn't the S7 have a two year warranty. Why didn't this guy just fuck off and contact Samsung.
Yea ignore anything from this guy

Only question I have is. Doesn't the S7 have a two year warranty. Why didn't this guy just fuck off and contact Samsung.
Yea ignore anything from this guy

not sure on the warranty and i never checked. when he first contacted me 1 month into having the phone i offered to refund him if he sent it back to me and it had no damage. i never heard from him again until 4 months later and thats what spurred me to write this post.

If it was still under warranty but they would only cover it from the original buyer and not second hand I might help with the RMA but other than that it's not your problem. You sold it and he bought it clearly as-is. He should have bought insurance on it I guess :/.

He could assist in this manner, but that's not what the buyer is asking for. It looks like this buyer wants a refund over 5 months later! That's insane. I can only assume that it's because he knows they are going to see water damage or some type of damage as the root of the cell phones issue! thus refuse to warranty repair it.

Lmao, bro you made me splurt out my iced tea bwahahah.

:D

Seriously though... 5 months? Within the first 2 weeks generally I'll help a buyer with whatever I can, even if it's semi-stupid. Within the first month, I'll do what I can but I'm not gonna tell them how to reset the phone or change their wallpaper. After a month or more has gone by, I can't have any assurance it wasn't them that caused whatever issue. Fuck em for coming to you after FIVE months. Seriously, factory refurb phones have a warranty shorter than that.

Last edited:
Back