What would you consider best physx for 3x GTX470?

rjolin01

[H]ard|Gawd
This is just for me to find out what people think the best card for my setup would be. At the moment it is all hypothetical and looking for opinions. I currently have my sig rig with 2x gtx470 in it. I am planning on getting a third 470 since they keep dropping in price and always wanted a 3-way (heh heh 3 way) sli setup. Now mobo is an evga sli-le which is a 3-way ( heh heh 3way again) sli mobo plus a physx slot. I also plan on getting a i7 970 by this fall. I know with that much gpu power I really dont need a physx card but I am just curious as to what the best physx card would be? Can be best over all, best for the buck, or just the minimum that would help with out bottlenecking other componets. So go ahead and throw you best thoughts out there.

For physx?
Have you ever tried assigning it to your cpu and checked the fps? No drop but sometimes a increase. Strange

Okay, no more Beavis & Butthead for you mister.

As for Physx, why bother? Since you have SLI, the minor extraload Physx adds is nonexistent. As said above, I think you can put some of it on CPU too, sometimes with good results.

Physx is rarely used anyway. What games has used it after Batman Arkham Asylum anyway? And I mean real hardware Physx effects which you need acceleration for?

For physx?
Have you ever tried assigning it to your cpu and checked the fps? No drop but sometimes a increase. Strange

Dude lay down the crack pipe.:D A cpu will not do physics better than a graphics card.With two or 3 cards the impact will hardly be noticed.

The flat-out best PhysX card is the single GPU with the most shaders, which is currently the GTX580. I've seen it recommended that your PhysX card should be about 1/2 the shaders of your main card. With 3xGTX470, you're looking at 1344 SPs at 1215MHz. The GTX580's 512SPs at 1544MHz would probably be on par with that recommendation.

With a single HD5870 (comparable to a GTX470/480/570) for graphics, my slightly overclocked 9800GT with 112 SPs will run Batman:AA @1080p with an average of 100fps (60-130fps). http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1510323 has all the details. I'm using the 9800GT because I had it left over after upgrading. If I were setting out to buy a card specifically for PhysX, I wouldn't get anything less than a GTX260 to go with this level of card. Multiply that by 3, and you're back in GTX580 range again.

Your PhysX card is most likely going to be your bottleneck. With PhysX turned off, my fps doubled compared to using the GTX285 for PhysX. Even a weak HD5770 gained a few frames going from a GTX275 to a GTX285 for PhysX. For most people, it's not worth the huge price difference to go from a 9800GT to a GTX285 for 10fps, much less to go from the GTX275 to a GTX285 for only 3fps.

A GTX460/465 is probably a good beefy PhysX card without getting too expensive. If you're pushing a tri-SLI system to its limits though, it may not be enough. However, with the few games that actually make use of GPU PhysX, I personally wouldn't spend much money at all on a PhysX card, especially if you already have multiple Nvidia cards in the system.

I notice once a guy showing using one Gtx 460 to run the game and the other he assigned physx to. He got a 20fps increase. Now which left the question what he wouldve got running sli with no dedicated physx card? assigning dedicated physx works if your is not fast enough or you have a gpu that's not to slow. Thats with single card configs. But running a tri sli setup you got more than the horsepower to let the cards do the physx. Do you want to waste all that power and generate heat for no fps increase. Even a single Gtx 560tI is fast enough to calculate the physx and give you good fps. Don't see why you have to use a dedicated one for your setup

Dude lay down the crack pipe.:D A cpu will not do physics better than a graphics card.With two or 3 cards the impact will hardly be noticed.

No a cpu is slower calculating X87. Actually its awful in it. But what about all the other games that don't use physx. What happen to they're calculations? Do you still have to assign it to the cpu then or is it being forced onto the extra card? Because a gpu is awful in calculating X86 like a cpu is in X87. Do that calculations being forced onto the gpu then or do the X86 will still go to the cpu that's the games that's not using X87 physx?

The flat-out best PhysX card is the single GPU with the most shaders, which is currently the GTX580. I've seen it recommended that your PhysX card should be about 1/2 the shaders of your main card. With 3xGTX470, you're looking at 1344 SPs at 1215MHz. The GTX580's 512SPs at 1544MHz would probably be on par with that recommendation.

With a single HD5870 (comparable to a GTX470/480/570) for graphics, my slightly overclocked 9800GT with 112 SPs will run Batman:AA @1080p with an average of 100fps (60-130fps). http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1510323 has all the details. I'm using the 9800GT because I had it left over after upgrading. If I were setting out to buy a card specifically for PhysX, I wouldn't get anything less than a GTX260 to go with this level of card. Multiply that by 3, and you're back in GTX580 range again.

Your PhysX card is most likely going to be your bottleneck. With PhysX turned off, my fps doubled compared to using the GTX285 for PhysX. Even a weak HD5770 gained a few frames going from a GTX275 to a GTX285 for PhysX. For most people, it's not worth the huge price difference to go from a 9800GT to a GTX285 for 10fps, much less to go from the GTX275 to a GTX285 for only 3fps.

A GTX460/465 is probably a good beefy PhysX card without getting too expensive. If you're pushing a tri-SLI system to its limits though, it may not be enough. However, with the few games that actually make use of GPU PhysX, I personally wouldn't spend much money at all on a PhysX card, especially if you already have multiple Nvidia cards in the system.

A GTX460, for example, has 40% more cores than a GTX285, but it isn't any faster. Not all the cores are performing shading operations, anyway. So, it's become rather meaningless.

no need to a nvidia card can do physx. I would suspect X86 code to run slow on a gpu and X87 slow on a cpu

Back