Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Single R9 290 card?

Votes: 49 55.1%
  • Bacon

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Boobs

Votes: 47 52.8%

• Total voters
Single card for many reasons one being that it still is easier for new games to work out of the box without you being frustrated by not having crossfire support.

Single 290. Smoother, less issues with CrossFire, and possibility of expanding later if you wish. AMD drivers are generally better with single GPU than with multiple as well.

I did some reading before deciding to post this poll albeit most that information was a few months old. Which is why I decided to ask here (for an updated response). However the result appears to be the same (single vs crossfire).

So let me ask this - does the issue lie mostly with the game developers (lack of multi gpu support) or with AMD?

Eyefinity frame pacing driver still isn't out. Does the R9 270x Crossfire config suffer from this problem or is it fixed like the R9 290 is?

Anyway, I recently purchased an R9 290. Crossfire R9 270x wasn't even considered.

Option d is the best use of money, but if you really insist on a gaming card (forget the card, go for option d!) then b - Single card

frame pacing / stuttering are terms that kept coming up in my research of said topic. I can say I've seen this first hand with my (current) twin 6950's but only in Skyrim. This was back in the early 13.xx driver releases. Since beta 13.08 its been resolved for me. I would however be pissed to spend the money to find the problem reappear.

I chose B, C, and D.

$400 for an R9 290 (Original MSRP)
$25 for quality bacon
$75 for quality boobs

You're welcome.

A single R9 290. Mostly because if I was going to crossfire in the future, I'd rather have the faster cards to do it. Plus XDMA (or whatever the new crossfire is) has frame pacing built in for every resolution including eyefinity. Also, I'm really thinking about going R9 290 Xfire myself.

A single R9 290. Mostly because if I was going to crossfire in the future, I'd rather have the faster cards to do it. Plus XDMA (or whatever the new crossfire is) has frame pacing built in for every resolution including eyefinity. Also, I'm really thinking about going R9 290 Xfire myself.

you're talking about the new crossfire where you'll no longer need the interlink cable and it just automagically happens over the bus? yeah that is pretty neat

you're talking about the new crossfire where you'll no longer need the interlink cable and it just automagically happens over the bus? yeah that is pretty neat

Indeed as right now, I can use xfire on one monitor and it's smooth, but if I use it on all three I get weird tearing (Like at angles, not just straight across), I get cut down to 30 FPS with Vsync on even when I get over 100 FPS when Vsync is off, and I get a weird stutter like one card is rendering faster than the other.

$500 is 500 $1 that you can spend at a gentlemen's club. Just sayin.

A good set of books will give you a lot more fun and last a lot longer than r9 290. May only have to buy the wife 1 upgrade in one's lifetime. I vote boobs.

A 290 to guarantee viewing the biggest boobs in highest framerate :p
Single card for least problems and uses less cpu.

Boobs give me more enjoyment than any game I could play (with any gpu)....ever....

Depending on the type of games you're looking to play. The boobs you can not only play with, but also sleep on and they keep you warm (the R9 290 can also keep you warm, but only if it's working as a heater).. so win win.

Always go for the best single card your money can buy. Don't forget that higher resolution monitors are in your future. So start from a good base.

Back