What would make interesting VR games?

raz-0

Supreme [H]ardness
Honestly most of the stuff I'm seeing looks a bit boring. Lots of kill the waves of monsters while standing in place kind of things. Dropping $700 on a VR rig to play things that look like they are meh vell phone games doesn't strike me as a good plan.

So what's out there that's really interesting, and what would be a good conversion. What would make VR worth the cost of entry to you?

I'll start with a couple.

Exists and is interesting:

-Keep talking and nobody explodes is kind of neat looking. I haven't gotten to play it, but it's definitely it's own thing and uses VR in a manner key to gameplay.

Surprised I haven't seen, maybe I've missed it:
-VR mode for any of the racing games. This strikes me as a no brainer, yet i see nobody talking of it.

Shocked someone form the project hasn't slapped a vr mode on it:

-AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity That'd probably make people toss their cookies, but it's basically 90% built like most of the existing VR games anyway.

-Flower - not that it is the pinnacle of gameplay, but I think it would hold it's own with a lot of the VR titles out there, and the VR version might be even more of a relax and chill type of game.

-portal/portal2/quantum conundrum or something like that. might also be really interesting in VR.

Honestly most of the stuff I'm seeing looks a bit boring. Lots of kill the waves of monsters while standing in place kind of things. Dropping $700 on a VR rig to play things that look like they are meh vell phone games doesn't strike me as a good plan.

So what's out there that's really interesting, and what would be a good conversion. What would make VR worth the cost of entry to you?

I'll start with a couple.

Exists and is interesting:

-Keep talking and nobody explodes is kind of neat looking. I haven't gotten to play it, but it's definitely it's own thing and uses VR in a manner key to gameplay.

Surprised I haven't seen, maybe I've missed it:
-VR mode for any of the racing games. This strikes me as a no brainer, yet i see nobody talking of it.

Shocked someone form the project hasn't slapped a vr mode on it:

-AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity That'd probably make people toss their cookies, but it's basically 90% built like most of the existing VR games anyway.

-Flower - not that it is the pinnacle of gameplay, but I think it would hold it's own with a lot of the VR titles out there, and the VR version might be even more of a relax and chill type of game.

-portal/portal2/quantum conundrum or something like that. might also be really interesting in VR.

Um, vr mode for racing games is a thing and it's awesome. Try iracing, assetto Corsa, project cars or dirt rally (in that order).

It's also perfect for flight sims (and a bunch of support for them).

Big issue for other game types is locomotion,nobody seems to have fully nailed that yet which is why wave shooters are so common - they come to you instead of you having to walk/run around.

Honestly I want some open world RPG's, bring on some Fallout 4 VR and Skyrim VR. Maybe some RE and as mentioned above Dead Space.

Escape rooms. There are a couple demo-ish ones but nothing really high-quality.

Vehicle based games. Flight sims have been doing it for well over a decade. LOMAC did it in 2003 with Track IR (minus the screen on your face), and has improved with every iteration. DCS has supported Occulus in for a while, although I am not sure how well it works. Then you have racing games, Star Citizen, Elite (?). I can see it working well in other vehicle based games, but sadly the genre outside of highly realistic simulators is essentially dead.

There is Ace Combat 7 on the horizon for flight action games, but the PS4 is only powerful enough for a separate mode and not for the campaign to run in VR. But in the unlikely event it comes to PC, I suppose it will support VR for the campaign as well.

I can see it working well in a game like Mirror's Edge. I believe ArmA 3 supports it to. It can be helpful for first person games.

I am just thinking FEAR as VR game.....jesus.

open world, sex games (har har i kid), racing/flight sims, RPGs would be sweet. I am thinking like first person RPG with friends....oh man....i need friends before that comes out :p

There's a Cardboard version of this game that's been available for a year or so now. Very well done and worth the $1-2 it cost.

Alien Isolation - that would probably be deadly literally
Space sims, car sims, flight sims, and all kinds of sims

Also star trek bridge crew was a neat concept, too bad it only makes sense if you have at least 3 devoted star trek fan friends all equipped with their own vr set.

Alien Isolation - that would probably be deadly literally
Space sims, car sims, flight sims, and all kinds of sims

Also star trek bridge crew was a neat concept, too bad it only makes sense if you have at least 3 devoted star trek fan friends all equipped with their own vr set.
wait what? please PM and explain. I have artimis and have yet to play it and iof there is a VR version type game dear sweet lord!

wait what? please PM and explain. I have artimis and have yet to play it and iof there is a VR version type game dear sweet lord!
I don't get it. Explain what?
Are you referring to bridge crew? You know that you're just a google search away from your answer right?

Star Trek Bridge Crew, is a VR game coming out in march, I didn't know if it was out already or not when I wrote my previous post.

It's a neat thing to have actors in the promo, because you can't tell if the game is really that fun, or they're just well acting.

Boxing games? Street fighter (literally)? Table tennis would rock, too.

I want a good flight sim in VR. One that focuses primarily on the physics, not so much every conceivable control or switch I have to flip.

I mean, it would be neat to have a couple switches you have to reach for in the cockpit, but nothing too overwhelming. Things like engine start, flaps, landing gear, or dropping a bomb...but switching gas tanks or engine mixture or prop settings would be too much.

It would probably work best with WWI and WWII era fighter planes.

IIRC, War Thunder was being adapted for VR to do exactly this.

I think the next step would be to have VR "gloves" rather than hand held wands like we do now. This way you could tell if your hand was reaching for that switch in question when you took your hand off the joystick or wheel that you already have. These VR Gloves would not be too much of a stretch technology wise. You could take the existing "wands" from the HTC Vive and integrate nearly all of it's tech into a wearable glove. You could then re-assign the trigger buttons on the wands (normally sit near your pointer and middle fingers) to flex sensors in the fabric of those same fingers.

I would love a setup like this with a cockpit. I would probably setup a large box fan blowing wind in my face as I go one on one with the Red Baron. :D

I want a good flight sim in VR. One that focuses primarily on the physics, not so much every conceivable control or switch I have to flip.

I mean, it would be neat to have a couple switches you have to reach for in the cockpit, but nothing too overwhelming. Things like engine start, flaps, landing gear, or dropping a bomb...but switching gas tanks or engine mixture or prop settings would be too much.

I think the next step would be to have VR "gloves" rather than hand held wands like we do now. This way you could tell if your hand was reaching for that switch in question when you took your hand off the joystick or wheel that you already have. These VR Gloves would not be too much of a stretch technology wise. You could take the existing "wands" from the HTC Vive and integrate nearly all of it's tech into a wearable glove. You could then re-assign the trigger buttons on the wands (normally sit near your pointer and middle fingers) to flex sensors in the fabric of those same fingers.

I would love a setup like this with a cockpit. I would probably setup a large box fan blowing wind in my face as I go one on one with the Red Baron. :D

They have this set up with leap motion, the leap tracks your hands so you can flip switches etc. in vr. I think there are two flight sims that support it so far.

Portal 2 in VR already has a nice precedent. Remember the Sixense DLC they offered for Razer Hydra owners (or PS3 version owners with Move controllers)? Why don't they just retool that for SteamVR?

As for other potential projects, I keep envisioning a game centering on expression and communication through hand gestures and head movements, perhaps because of language barrier problems. Perhaps we could even work spoken language recognition into it, but that's historically been very iffy (just ask any Binary Domain player) and could rule out entire markets if their main languages don't have a good speech recognition engine existing for them already. The idea is to take NPC interaction to something beyond canned dialogue choices.

Also, for all the shooty-shooty-bang-bang that's been going on with VR games, there's a surprising lack of hack-and-slash, Gorn aside. I'm still itching for a Die By The Sword 2 of sorts, VSIM controls and all, and what better way to make a game like that than with modern VR? Heck, we're long overdue for another Heretic/Hexen-style game anyway.

That said, I certainly don't mind FPSs in VR, and I feel that one made in the Goldeneye/Perfect Dark mold of old would actually carry over surprisingly well for anyone comfortable with locomotion in Onward, The Art of Fight, Pavlov, etc. That sort of thing relies heavily on interesting level design and objectives, though, as well as a fun arsenal of weapons and enemies that actually react to being shot for a change, often in hilarious ways.

You have no idea what I'd do right now to have proper VR support for IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 and Rise of Flight at this very moment. They're just begging for it, and I can't go back to monitor + TrackIR now. It's too flat!

IL-2: Cliffs of Dover was teased with it in a Team Fusion 5.0 dev update, but that still hasn't released yet several months later. Given the recent announcement that they've been given official backing by 1C, not to mention access to the source code, we might not have to wait too much longer - and get any future updates rolled into Steam auto-updates, to boot!

IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad currently has very limited and unfinished support, as I understand - a result of having finally ported the engine from DX9 to DX11. Reminds me a lot of the whole DCS World situation and how they took seemingly forever to bring out EDGE. Hopefully, the BoS enhancements get backported to RoF (same engine), but I doubt it.

As for VR gloves, I'm sure that the base electronics for the tracking and wireless communication would be thin enough for both Oculus Constellation and Valve Lighthouse tracking systems, but my real concern is how it would handle input so it knows you've got your hands off the stick and throttle and are actually trying to manipulate virtual buttons, switches and rotary dials. The lack of tactile feedback beneath your fingers is a challenge, and mounting linear actuators under one's fingertips may prove to be technically impractical and perhaps uncomfortable.

I want to build a 2 player war thunder build but I need a friend to play it. I want a driver and gunner on one PC :D

than drop stupid arcade and go realism one. I just cant handle realism as a single person...way to much to control and remember.

It looks like HTC was already developing this idea....

HTC+Vive+CES+2017+gallery+1+2.jpg

Some exciting stuff I see will be coming out. Like how HTC is growing their product line, that is if this new stuff is timely.

Back