What would cause you to jump ship to green?

Igg

[H]ard|Gawd
With the current sad state that AMD driver is for their FLAGSHIP product. What feature of Kepler coming out would bring you to join the green team?

Currently, drivers from AMD fucking sucks, point blank. There's no denying it. Nvidia releases beta drivers today for FUTURE games including SLI support, while AMD is still fucking around and playing catching up with fixing crossfire for games that's been out for ages, i.e skyrim, dirt 3, etc.

I jumped ship to nvidia a while back because of their ability to do bezel compenstation with non matching EDID but have matching resolutions. If Nvidia can do this, why the hell can't AMD can't? or do they not bother fixing shit ? To this day, I still experience cursor corruption.
I came back for their 6970 and now 7970s. Is buying $1200 with this gen of cards not enough to ask for proper driver support?

WTF AMD? - We know nvidia has superior driver support.

The final nail in the coffin for me would be being able to do PLP, if Nvidia can pull this out of the hat with their up coming Kepler series of card. I'm jumping ship.

What about you guys?

With the current sad state that AMD driver is for their FLAGSHIP product. What feature of Kepler coming out would bring you to join the green team?

Currently, drivers from AMD fucking sucks, point blank. There's no denying it. Nvidia releases beta drivers today for FUTURE games including SLI support, while AMD is still fucking around and playing catching up with fixing crossfire for games that's been out for ages, i.e skyrim, dirt 3, etc.

I jumped ship to nvidia a while back because of their ability to do bezel compenstation with non matching EDID but have matching resolutions. If Nvidia can do this, why the hell can't AMD can't? or do they not bother fixing shit ? To this day, I still experience cursor corruption.
I came back for their 6970 and now 7970s. Is buying $1200 with this gen of cards not enough to ask for proper driver support?

The final nail in the coffin for me would be being able to do PLP, if Nvidia can pull this out of the hat with their up coming Kepler series of card. I'm jumping ship.

What about you guys?
AMD's drivers are bad? I've not had problems with them like, ever. I jumped from nV to AMD when nV's drivers started pissing me off. And 4850's were wonderful still.

Jumping back would take a premium part undercutting AMD and out performing.

It existing would be a good start. That said, I am in the market for a single card solution for max eye candy at 1920x1200, so I am dodging the multi-gpu bugs and quirks that apparently drive mild-mannered gamers insane.

It existing would be a good start. That said, I am in the market for a single card solution for max eye candy at 1920x1200, so I am dodging the multi-gpu bugs and quirks that apparently drive mild-mannered gamers insane.

Just think of it as a wish list that nvidia will have to meet for you to join them.

Come out with a faster, or more feature rich card at a reasonable price point as compared to the competition. I have about zero loyalty to either of them.

1) Lower or equal price.

2) Quiet cooling solution. At 60% it should be near silent.
Match thermals and power needs.

3) Continue with good driver support and SLi support.

I have dual 7970s. They are as good as they can be.......

But what the fuck AMD.......no official drivers and the card was released nearly a month ago???

Faster, more power efficient, quieter and with a better price...don't care what color my card is.

Price/performance advantage.

I couldn't care less about anything else. That's all I care about. I can figure out the rest. I like messing with this stuff, so all I care about is the price/performance battle. So far that has been all AMD for me, but am not in the least bit opposed to going nVidia.

Come out with a faster, or more feature rich card at a reasonable price point as compared to the competition. I have about zero loyalty to either of them.

This.

Just think of it as a wish list that nvidia will have to meet for you to join them.

There is no single feature that would make me switch teams, as it will come down to whichever brand has the best 300-400 dollar card in the next month or so (even if that's a high end last-gen card, like an MSI Lightning). The one advantage Nvidia has for me at least is better per-game driver profiles; I recall it being much more intuitive 5 years ago on my 8600GTS, than the same functionality cobbled together into the latest Catalyst drivers.

Actually if there is one feature that would glue me to a particular company for the next generation it would be the ability use shader injectors like SMAA or FXAA injector right from the graphics drivers, rather than having to drop the files into each game's working directory. (Kind of like how Catalyst lets you use MPAA on top of any game, but giving you the option of choosing which shader-based AA to use as well as tweak its options).

Love my 6950 Toxic. Hate ATI drivers. Like the value/performance of my 6950. Miss everything just working with my gtx 260. Not working as fast... but all my games would play without locking up periodically. I also have occasional blue screens, about once a week now since I upgraded. From my personal experience, ATI delivers the best bang for the buck, but nVidia gives me a smoother, more trouble free experience. (Most likely not PSU, my gtx 260 drew more than my 6950)

I will be buidling another computer soon and I will most likely buy a gtx 570 for it at a discount price once Kepler is released. Or a kepler version of the gtx 560.

I have no problems with my 7970 drivers.

I would switch to nvidia if they had a single card triple monitor solution that kicks as much ass as the 7970 does at a better price to performance point.

With the current sad state that AMD driver is for their FLAGSHIP product.

I would still call their 6990 the "flagship" until the 7990 comes along. The 6990 is faster than the 7970 by a good margin with very few if any exceptions.

As a user of Quad-Crossfire for years I have had very few driver issues. Many driver issues are straight-up caused by user error, but not that those users would ever admit it...

AMD releases beta drivers frequently, as well as CAPs which often have support for new games and games in beta. I had BF3 working perfectly *way* early on in the beta, making great use of all 4 GPUs, because driver support was already there. As far as Skyrim goes and given how much of a joke that game is, it's a wonder it works at all. We're talking about the same game that ties it's physics engine to your FPS... yeah...

Nvidia has it's own driver quirks also. Why can't you do Triple SLI using a GTX590 and a GTX580? There are absolutely no issues doing Triple crossfire with a 6990+6970, or a 5970+5870, or a 4870x2+4870.

What about you guys?

I don't have an issue with either company, but I'm certainly not going to let exaggerated and overblown driver concerns dictate my decision.

Generally speaking, when I try to upgrade I like to get a good value for my money. I had planned on going with dual 5970s once the 6xxx series drove those prices down the same way I got an amazing deal on my 4870x2 cards once the 5xxx series was released, but that bitcoin fad kept the prices on the 5970 sky-high so had to scratch that plan. I would love to upgrade to dual 6990s but the 7970 coming out at $550 isn't allowing the prices on the 6xxx series to drop much, especially the 6990.

Kepler sounds promising, but there is just too much that we don't know about it yet.

One thing that would cause me to switch to Nvidia is because Nvidia hardware consistently performs better World of Warcraft. Not that AMD hardware performs poorly, but cards from each brand that would be equal in other games, the nvidia card will have a slight lead in WoW. Since WoW is currently the game which I devote the most time to, that is a good enough reason for me to base my upgrade on that.

I doubt I'll go for Kepler though, unless it's performance is just absolutely amazing. If I went Nvidia I'd probably try to find two used GTX590s after kepler is released if the price comes down accordingly. I might try to find two used GTX580s but that isn't really as big of an upgrade over what I already have as I would like given that they still probably wouldn't be that cheap. If it was possible to do GTX590+GTX580, I'd probably already be running that in my computer right now.

One thing that would cause me to switch to Nvidia is because Nvidia hardware consistently performs better World of Warcraft. Not that AMD hardware performs poorly, but cards from each brand that would be equal in other games, the nvidia card will have a slight lead in WoW. Since WoW is currently the game which I devote the most time to, that is a good enough reason for me to base my upgrade on that.

On a sep. topic, how well does WoW play with dual GPU cards? does it only use one like crossfire?
I five box WoW and have yet to be able to find a card that can support 5 instances with full eye candy.

On a sep. topic, how well does WoW play with dual GPU cards? does it only use one like crossfire?
I five box WoW and have yet to be able to find a card that can support 5 instances with full eye candy.

WoW makes excellent use of both Crossfire and SLI, and that has been the case for quite some time now (since at least 2007-2008). On my system it uses all 4 GPUs and I frequently see utilization as high as 90%+ on all 4 GPUs.

Unfortunately, World of Warcraft, like most games will only function in crossfire if you run the game in Fullscreen. If you run in Windowed mode, even "Windowed (Fullscreen)", Crossfire will not function. I am not sure if that behavior is the same or not with SLI.

I would switch to nvidia if they had a single card triple monitor solution that kicks as much ass as the 7970 does at a better price to performance point.

This. I've got Eyefinity on a single card and it works fairly well, no quirks besides some games don't support it natively.

I'm not buying a Geforce until they give me surround resolution on one card at reasonable price and no gimmicky resolution tweaks (sorry Galaxy).

because nVidia is releasing their 28nm significantly later, i would expect it to be superior in all aspects because they have had more development time. it should be faster, cooler, use less power, and be quieter. if it costs more than a 7970 that's fine, since it will be a superior card if the aforementioned holds true.

because nVidia is releasing their 28nm significantly later, i would expect it to be superior in all aspects because they have had more development time. it should be faster, cooler, use less power, and be quieter. if it costs more than a 7970 that's fine, since it will be a superior card if the aforementioned holds true.

That's not necessarily an accurate assessment. The development cycle for both very likely didn't have the same start date, as Nvidia has been a step behind in that department ever since the 5xxx series cards arrived on the market. While I don't doubt their raw ability to gear up and reduce the gap in dev cycles, there's no guarantee they have.

Actually if there is one feature that would glue me to a particular company for the next generation it would be the ability use shader injectors like SMAA or FXAA injector right from the graphics drivers, rather than having to drop the files into each game's working directory. (Kind of like how Catalyst lets you use MPAA on top of any game, but giving you the option of choosing which shader-based AA to use as well as tweak its options).

You can select various levels of FXAA directly from the NV CP using the 295.18 drivers....

That's not necessarily an accurate assessment. The development cycle for both very likely didn't have the same start date, as Nvidia has been a step behind in that department ever since the 5xxx series cards arrived on the market. While I don't doubt their raw ability to gear up and reduce the gap in dev cycles, there's no guarantee they have.

say whaaaaaaaaaat?

considering how huge nVidia is compared to the graphics division at AMD, i would just assume that they would start R&D much sooner as they would have a larger budget to fund such R&D.

even if they didn't, the natural law of technology would dictate that the newer product should be superior in technical aspects - especially since we're talking almost 6-months here. no? that's the typical cycle for a refresh already.

LOL, you lost me after faster...one thing we know as far as past history goes is that Kepler will be faster, use more power, louder and probably more expensive compared to AMD.

How did that new FERMI technology turn out when it was released????????

I'm currently sporting a pair of 7970's. I REALLY wanted to wait for GK100 Kepler but after CES came and went with no announcement, I went AMD despite the known problems (I'm a glutton for punishment). Unlocked 6950's weren't cutting it for BF3 @ 5760x1080.

My reasons to switch:
1) NV Surround using dual-link DVI connections. This would allow me to use my 120Hz monitors to their fullest extent without having to purchase $100 active dual-link-> mini dp adapters or new monitors. I've gotten use to the scan-line but it's still there.

2) 3D Vision. I have the glasses, but they've been shelved since I sold off my GTX 470's. I really enjoyed it on one screen, but 3 screens made the 470's crawl.

3) SLI support. I don't buy games when they come out, but the games I do play, I want to fully utilize my investment.

Nvidia coming out later with the high end Kepler parts works for me. I plan on upgrading my i7-860 system to Ivy Bridge and a pair of Kepler cards will go with it nicely.

nvidia is stepping slow and has been for a while now. ati has had their fair share of issues with drivers, more so than nvidia. at tleast ati got their cards out earlier, again.

that being said, I don't give a fuck which company I go with. so long as the card works best for the games I play, it can be called flaming ass and painted pink for all that matters. Right now, no single card does what I want better than what I have now.

Last edited:
Nvidia coming out later with the high end Kepler parts works for me. I plan on upgrading my i7-860 system to Ivy Bridge and a pair of Kepler cards will go with it nicely.

you're exactly what's wrong with all this kepler talk: "a pair of Kepler cards will go with [ivy bridge] nicely"

exactly how do you know that, at all?

hint:
you don't

What about you guys?

Looks more like a "I switched and now I want validation for my choice", thread but I'll play along

I switched to ATI(at the time of the 4870 release) due to nVidia's inability to remember the fan speed setting.

If I were to switch back to Team Green, I think it would require them to pull off the following:

Comparable performance per watt used while being quiet. (and remember the damn fanspeed setting)

Really, that's about it.

Personally, I had only "very" minor issues when I upgraded from (2) 6970s to a 7970.

I powered off, removed the 6970s, installed the 7970, booted up, logged in, downloaded the latest driver, installed it, and rebooted.

I'm really happy with the 7970s performance and power usage and sound levels. It's quite quiet for the games I play at 2560x1600

I already switch to nvidia. Ever since I had my 6850 there were 3 months out of 10 where the drivers didn't have issues. Sold the card and got a gtx570. No problems since.

I go back and forth.

For me it's all about buying the best card that I can afford.

You can select various levels of FXAA directly from the NV CP using the 295.18 drivers....

ATM that is opengl only. If you load an OpenGL game you should see the fxaa indicator somewhere onscreen (upper something corner if i recall correctly).

To win me Nvidia has to do their version of a Perf/watt AND Perf/buck card between 150 and 200$. So far they have failed tremendously on the Perf/Watt end (not like they have done much better on the other side either).

you're exactly what's wrong with all this kepler talk: "a pair of Kepler cards will go with [ivy bridge] nicely"

exactly how do you know that, at all?

hint:
you don't

even if they didn't, the natural law of technology would dictate that the newer product should be superior in technical aspects - especially since we're talking almost 6-months here. no? that's the typical cycle for a refresh already.

You are aright, I don't know, but as you stated, newer tech *should be* superior to something that's been on the market for 6 months.

You are aright, I don't know, but as you stated, newer tech *should be* superior to something that's been on the market for 6 months.

hell yes it should be!

but don't make absolute statements like "Kepler WILL do this and that"

Kepler doesn't even exist, as far as anyone on this forum knows - that's fact

Never again green! Unless they sell something better/price performance ratio than Amd ... lol
who am i kidding it's nvidia. Will never happen.

Wow, reading the SemiAccurate news, if that happens to be real i will NOT go green.

That PhysX crap just pisses me off to no end.

Wow, reading the SemiAccurate news, if that happens to be real i will NOT go green.

That PhysX crap just pisses me off to no end.

I just read that as well...I DO NOT want to purchase my games based on whether its a red or green video card optimized game...it seems to be getting worse! :mad:

I just read that as well...I DO NOT want to purchase my games based on whether its a red or green video card optimized game...it seems to be getting worse! :mad:

i agree

at least red games don't mean crippled performance on green cards

Just finished perusing that article as well, that doesn't bode well for nvidia. If what they say is true, and in some games GK104 can crush a 7970, and in others it can barely keep up with the 78xx cards, that's going to really start raising some eyebrows. I mean, we all expect certain cards to do better in certain games, but when you start deliberately crippling your competitors that's just plain sleazy. I'm starting to remember why I quit buying nv cards now. I seem to remember years ago there was a real shit storm over them doing something similar to this, but I can't remember the exact context.

say whaaaaaaaaaat?

considering how huge nVidia is compared to the graphics division at AMD, i would just assume that they would start R&D much sooner as they would have a larger budget to fund such R&D.

So you're saying the first Fermi cards that came out, six months after the first 5xxx series cards that came out, were newer better technology? Yeah.....:p

I also recall saying that I'm sure Nvidia COULD dump the cash to close the gap, just that I wasn't sure they would. Personally I hope they release something that kicks AMD's hiney into next year, that's a great thing for gamers. I just find it humorous that all of these people are saying how much better Nvidia's new deal will be when none of them have ever seen it. They're the same people who were disappointed as hell when the first Fermi's came out and started causing house fires.

Seeing that Nvidia's flagship card will not be released well in Q2 and maybe Q3, I'm close to buying a 7970 DCUII to replace my current 570 DCUII.
Then it will be interesting to see how things shake out. I said if NV didn't have anything solid by March I'm going AMD early. I want the flagship card, not some spiky physx performing GK104 mid-range card.

AMD has their product out now without BS attached to it.

Last edited:
So you're saying the first Fermi cards that came out, six months after the first 5xxx series cards that came out, were newer better technology? Yeah.....:p

well shouldn't they be?

i mean, in 6 months a manufacturer usually has a refresh out already
so surely that's enough time to pack new/better tech in there, no?

Well I don't really have any issues other than AA not work in Starwars the old republic. No lockups or system reboot, everything is working.

I jump ship all the time. If AMD/Intel/Nvidia has something superior, I will take it. I don't have any loyalty to a company :) It's not like they are giving me free hardware.

I just did. I saw a sale on a brand new GTX 480..got buyer's remorse from the 7970. Returned for a full refund of $600 including tax. Paid $450 total for two 480s, franken-linked a second Corsair 650W PS to my rig for ridicurous power consumption of almost 700W for the two cards...let some AS5 set-in...OCd to 800/1600...turned up the volume and I love GTX 480 SLI. Totally rocks.

Why did I do it? I have no idea.

Back