What would be a simple video editing software just to cut the first few sec. or the last few sec. of a MP4 video?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I don't need anything fancy. For similar comparison, I like the setup that Audacity have when it comes to cut audio. It shows the graph, and I just select the first few sec., and click Cut. So I'm using Boilsoft, but it's very poor. It doesn't show the video frame by frame, so you can't pin point to the exact spot you want to cut

what do you people use

I use this. It works most of the time.
https://www.dvdvideosoft.com/free-video-editor.htm

1659002445713.png

thanks. I'll give it a try.

What's the difference btwn. the free ver. vs. the paid ver.?

Sometimes free versions of video software will limit export resolution.

For a real simple trim, try Windows 1x's own Photos app. Right-click on the mp4 file and choose Open with... and select Photos. Once it is open inside Photos, click on Edit & Create at the top of the program window and choose Trim. Use the white circle sliders in the timebar to cut the beginning/end of the video. The blue circle is used for test playback.
Yes, it's weird that the "Photos" app can edit videos, but it's Microsoft and things don't make sense sometimes.

so which ver. are you using? the free one or the paid one?

and if you're using the free ver., any limitation ?
I just checked and the paid one does cutting/editing without having to re-encode the video, you can export in the Original Format.

1659105905221.png

I just checked and the paid one does cutting/editing without having to re-encode the video, you can export in the Original Format.
Can you still chop at a specific frame without having to re-encode? That would be pretty neat. Seems the limitation in the past was you could only do that if you chopped at a keyframe.

Can you still chop at a specific frame without having to re-encode? That would be pretty neat. Seems the limitation in the past was you could only do that if you chopped at a keyframe.
I think it still does keyframes. I just tested it, cut a 3 min clip from a 3 hour video and the clip starts about a second after the selection I made in the program.

1659728391665.png

the clip starts about a second after the selection I made in the program.
Ah ok. I didn't suggest Lossless Cut because of OP's statement: "show the video frame by frame, so you can't pin point to the exact spot you want to cut"

Not sure if Lossless generates a new keyframe to do precise cuts, yet.

If you know the exact frames or times you want and just want to do a very simple one edition, give me the frame 162 until the last one, etc....

You can maybe directly use ffmpeg:
https://ottverse.com/trim-cut-video-using-start-endtime-reencoding-ffmpeg/

You would have good control on the quality/format of the output or you can do it with no re-encoding, would not be surprised if it is not that simple if you have to deal with sound unlike me.

Just try it. Don't like it. I don't like the logo. And I can't figure out how to cut it. I highlight, but don't see a cut button. By comparison, to cut out a portion of a song, using Audacity, it's much easier.

In the end, I need an alternative such as Boilsoft.

there is 2 ver.

1 is GCC based, 1 is not. Which one did you pick? and what's the difference?
Huh, it's been a while since I've used it. I would go with the VC++ one (non GCC) as that one seems to be the default. I doubt there is a significant difference.

EDIT: Happy Hopping Found this.

Last edited:
VC++ builds don't have fluxSmooth and telecide video filters.

from that link, I'm guessing for simple splitting (end of video ) most people doesn't need the above.

try this for the 1st time, it doesn't work. It crashes (fatal error)

"Exception Filter: The application has encountered a fatal problem. The current editing has been saved and will be reloaded at next start"

All I did, is to load the MP4 file (home video of a squirrel at my front deck 2 min. video), cut the last few sec. by "SET marker A", and select CUT, that's where it crashed.

Reload it, same thing.

HandBrake is the simplest tool I've found just to trim clips.
Their ver. 1.5 has to run under win 10. Their ver. 1.4 does install, but it needs .NET, so I got .NET 6.0 in .NET SDK 6.04 as well as Desktop Runtime 6.08, but the Handbrake s/w still says "To run this application, you must install .NET" so I don't know what to do.

I am running win 7 Pro
Did install MS Windows Desktrop Runtime 6.08 (x64)

when that didn't work, also install

MS .NET SDK 6.0400 (x64)

still get that mesg. above. What ver. are you running and did you also install the above?

I'm on Windows 10 and handbrake 1.5.1, so it different from yours.

I believe you need to install .net 5 (x64) for your version as well as 6, it requires both. Version 1.5.1 only needs .net 6 if I'm reading it correctly.

Last edited:
but .NET 6 includes all the components of .NET 5, also there is no . NET 5 any more. When you pick .NET 5, it bumps to the .NET 6 link

update: after trying the above 3 software, I end up going w/ Boilsoft. It's very simple to use, I can advance frame by frame. And select the [ ] button, and then click Export. I was using an old ver. of Boilsoft and it was very poor as it doesn't advance frame by frame, I have to lost at least 2 sec., and that's just a 15MB file. This new Ver. 8.3 is 235 MB, and they made some major improvement. Anyone w/ Win 7 or higher can use it. I also like the trial period of at least 2 to 3 weeks

Back