What wireless card is in Macbooks?

sdotbrucato

[H]ard|Gawd
I love the range of my Plastic Blackbook's wireless and I was hoping to pop in the wireless card the Macbook uses into my friend's HP Laptop, but Im not willing to take my Macbook apart to find out the Part Number on the wireless card.

Would anyone here happen to know what model the wireless card Apple uses in their Macbooks is?

TIA!

I was hoping to pop in the wireless card the Macbook uses into my friend's HP Laptop, but Im not willing to take my Macbook apart...

You know, it's okay to admit you also have an HP laptop, even if you have a Mac. :D

Last edited:
Broadcom BCM4321. All my notebook uses it cuz I only have Macs and Hacks ;)

You know, it's okay to admit you also have an HP laptop, even if you have a Mac. :D

No, I own a Dell. lol Well 2 Dells. A latitude and a Precision. :cool:

It depends on the year it was made, it might be a Broadcom adapter or Intel Adapter (ninja edit***I forgot about the Atheros cards used also, they are model 5006x and Atheros AR5006EG cards).

This model is the 802.11n capable model that will work in any laptop with a compatible slot.

http://store.fastmac.com/product_info.php?products_id=207

$90 seems a little on the expensive side, considering other Intel cards are ~$40 =(

The newer ones uses Intel cards while the older ones uses Broadcoms. Now I'm curious if it's possible to interchange those cards with other laptops too.

It may not just be the wifi card, but the antenna configuration that helps with the good reception. The HP antennas may not be designed as well.

The newer ones uses Intel cards while the older ones uses Broadcoms. Now I'm curious if it's possible to interchange those cards with other laptops too.

Where you find this info? I am looking at my Mac and it clearly is telling me Broadcom for all of them (uMacbook, Macbook Air and Macbook Pro 15).

Back