What windows software to use?

kronchev

[H]F Junkie
I really dont know.I got it all together, got it working, got XP on it, but what frontend should I use? I'm downloading sagetv now but its not free, and it expires in 15 days. any help is appreciated!

There's a "new" program out called Meedio. It is just a new version of myHTPC that they're charging for. It's really nice looking though.

I would say after using meedio's trail version it is more than mearly a new version of myhtpc... The internals of the program have been beefed up and are much more integrated with the various plug-ins.

personally i like the way myHTPC works more than Meedio. there should be more options with the video/music lists. but that's just me.

Read through here.
You have several options for Windows; Got TV PVR, Beyond TV, SageTV, Showshifter, Meedio...those are just off the top of my head. I use SageTV and I'm also going to be getting Meedio once a few bugs are worked out and the TV module is released. I love SageTV BTW ;) . The good thing is that Meedio, SageTV, and Beyond TV all have 15 day full featured trails so you can check them out and see if you want to shell out the cash.
Free solution: Got TV is just great, it's what I use when I don't want/ need to load SageTV.

Thanks guys, I might look at Meedio. I was playing with sage and, well, IMO it sucks. I got the remote working for maybe 5 minutes then it stopped working, but ONLY in sage; girder sees it, the remote driver sees it, so its obviously sage. it also gets weirdness when trying to display the menus overtop of video,it takes comparitivly forever to start up, and its java, and i absoltuly hate java. also now I have problems displaying video...theres random lines and every few minutes it locks for a split second. I suspect its heat on the northbridge and probabily southbridge, ill need to take care of that.

Hmm I don't have any of those problems (except hating that it's Java). What remote? Whats your setup?

its the hauppage default remote.

i am using meedio now and i like it a lot more, but it has a way to go till ill actually pay for it. things like tv tuning would definitly make it worth my money. plus a few navigation things are kind of crappy but I can fix a few of them at least.

my big question is, is the hauppage remote always crap? and whose to blame, the remote, possibly low batteries in the remote, or the receiver that goes to the card? because unless its pointed RIGHT at receiver, and the receiver is facing exactly towards the remote, NOTHING happens, and even then, it recognizes a button press maybe once every half second.

blaah.

You installed the drivers for Sage and the remote right? I think you mentioned that, I don't know since my remote is the StreamZap one and aside of having to map some keys to it it works fine in Sage. (shrug) I haven't had any trouble with my remote but I want something more full featured so I'll probably be getting a new one soon.
I'll be upgrading to this remote and forgo Girder since Orn Thorsson makes a great replacement app.

I really liked Sage, but I have not tried any other Windows packages. Honestly, I would have paid the $80 for it if I would have been able to get the PVR-350 output working reliably with it. I ended up using MythTV (Linux), but I liked the SageTV interface better and find it (besides the 350 thing) to be a little more resilient. But hey, I'm interested almost exclusively in the PVR functionality, I don't use the media library stuff much.

You should try Meedio, I've noticed a few Myth guys that I know comment about how good it is which coming from Myth guys is a compliment. ;)

It doesn't do TV yet but Sticky over at the HTPCnews forums has alittle guide for launching Sage inside of Meedio. Now if they added a BT manager I'd be set. :D

I have been playing with sage and didn't notice any of your problems, xcept the remote issue. the reciever on the remote is kind of crappy. you have to be pointed directly at it. I am going to swap to the snapstream or windows media center remote when I have the cash.

someone IM'd me some help with sage...if you read this can you send the help to my email, kronchev AT gmail DOT com. thanks!

Back