What window manager? Also, what file manager?

blackedge

Gawd
Wondering what window manager and file manager you guys are using...

Currently I'm using fluxbox for my window manager (absolutely love it), but haven't found anything that I really care for yet as far as file managers go (not that I've been looking real hard either). So looking for suggestions on that one.

I also have KDE setup as well, but that's for occasional use only. Typically, I'm preferring fluxbox.

So, what are ya using?

I use fluxbox as well, 0.9.9. for a filemanager, I just use a terminal. Simple enough, and works fine for me.

Using TWM here. Dual head.

and who needs a file manager?

If you do, this guy ( http://www.softpanorama.org/OFM/index.shtml ) has some opinions... Actually, he's got interesting opinions that go counter to a lot of the Free Software/Open Source community's on a lot of things.

when i was using linux, i usually used gnome, and XFCE4 on occaision. hell, i think XFCE4 is great for how good it looks without having to go through days of setting it up, a la TWM.

I use WindowMaker for a window manager and basic Unix file manipulation utilities for file management. I'm a find(1) whore. It's one of the most under-used and unappreciated file tools out there, but it comes in very handy from time to time.

I use Fluxbox 0.9.9, and when I absolutely need a file manager I just use nautilus --no-desktop.

Well being a diehard command line junkie, I mostly just use a terminal window for whatever I need to do as well. It's very easy to piece together a quick bash script for some of the things I'm doing. :) The only thing I miss about file managing is looking at a window with all the files, being able to click on it, and the associated program opening it. That's really about it.

But, I'm loving fluxbox. Thinking of giving xfce4 a try again though. Haven't really decided yet.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Keep it coming!

Back