What will your M1 build contain!?

I decided to go with the Gigabyte z87n-wifi. The price was just too good to pass up, but the socket layout is pretty lousy. Can anyone recommend a good hsf that won't conflict with the pci-e slot and the ram? The Noctua NH-L9I seems to be the only one that doesn't block one thing or another.

There are a few more that will fit without conflicting with anything else, check the ncase spreadsheet on the "things that work" tab. I went with a Cooler Master GeminII S524 for my gigabyte board.

20140108-DSC_0143-Edit.jpg

i7 4770K

swiftech h220

Asrock Z87E-ITX

Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB 1600mhz

Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W

Zotac 780 GTX 3GB

2x Crucial M500 240GB

2TB WD Black

Ncase N1

20140108-DSC_0147-Edit.jpg

20140108-DSC_0146-Edit.jpg

lots of gentle typhoon ap-15 1850rpm :D

i7 4770K delidded
Asus Impact
ST45SF-G w/ Noiseblocker fan and de-grilled
Kingston HyperX Beast 2 x 8GB 1866MHz
EVGA GTX 780 Ti Superclocked
Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Panasonic BD-R
Custom water loop with mostly EK bits

Still missing the GPU + block, fittings and reservoir.

fans are pretty expensive =( spend like 130~ T_T

only brought ten because read gentle typhoon is getting discontinue..

NICE MANGA and Figures <3

fans are pretty expensive =( spend like 130~ T_T

only brought ten because read gentle typhoon is getting discontinue..

NICE MANGA and Figures <3

Scythe will no longer sell Gentle Typhoon. Nidec-Servo owns the brand now and will continue to manufacture and sell those.

(It's not my collection, it's LunaP from OCN)

I'm mulling over a shrink from my ATX case (Antec Sonata/P150). Don't have a spot on the NCase M1 list, but I am hoping something will come off the wait list...otherwise it's probably SG08 or SG10. Primarily gaming, but with some light scientific/computational tasks. Everything stock/air cooled.

MB: I had hoped for the Asus P9D-I C222 workstation board but the availability looks terrible, so probably the Asus Z87 deluxe mini ITX board.

Memory: relatively standard stuff (usually I try to find Samsung or Mushkin DIMMS, maybe Crucial). ECC if C222 board magically appears, else non-ECC

CPU: split between the Xeon E3-1270 V3 vs. the Core i7-4770k. I have the Ivy E3-1245 version which was nice, but the Haswell versions don't seem to have as much differentiation between the Xeon and desktop versions...

GPU: existing eVGA GTX 670 FTW - I am hoping the blower-style cooler and lower power consumption vs the 770 works well w/ mini-itx

PSU: Seasonic 460W fanless (SS-460FL)? or is that a bad idea? Or maybe the silverstone SFF one.

Drives: Samsung 830 boot, 1 or 2 spinning disks for data (WD something or other). Will probably include a blu-ray slimline for movie related reasons.

Cooler: stock vs. Noctua low profile - I think the TDP for the Haswell is higher than what's rated for the Noctua NH-L9i so will probably go the next size up. If this is the case, though - do you have to worry about bigger coolers when moving the box?

Fan setup: Since everything is running stock, would 2 120mm fans running at low RPM's be enough? Positive pressure?

GPU: existing eVGA GTX 670 FTW - I am hoping the blower-style cooler and lower power consumption vs the 770 works well w/ mini-itx

PSU: Seasonic 460W fanless (SS-460FL)? or is that a bad idea? Or maybe the silverstone SFF one.

If your GPU is not compact you have to use SFX psu or ATX non modular up to 140mm lenght

The NH-L9i is ONLY for CPU's with TDP's < 65W. FWIW.

I installed the NH-L9i to my Gigabyte Z87N-Wifi and 4670k...keeps everything cool for everyday tasks and gaming at stock clocks. Attempted a mild overclock and temps went through the roof. I will probably be upgrading to an H100i when I have the funds.

However, the NH-L9i is EXTREMELY low profile. I was amazed at how flush it is to the motherboard. The build quality is excellent as well. I highly recommend it...for lower power CPUs.

If your GPU is not compact you have to use SFX psu or ATX non modular up to 140mm lenght

OK, good to know. Then maybe the Silverstone SFX one....

FWIW, the card is about ~10" - 10.25" or so. Not humongous but not tiny either...

I installed the NH-L9i to my Gigabyte Z87N-Wifi and 4670k...keeps everything cool for everyday tasks and gaming at stock clocks. Attempted a mild overclock and temps went through the roof. I will probably be upgrading to an H100i when I have the funds.

However, the NH-L9i is EXTREMELY low profile. I was amazed at how flush it is to the motherboard. The build quality is excellent as well. I highly recommend it...for lower power CPUs.

Yep, I have it on an i3-3225. It's a great little cooler for that processor.

Come to think of it, looking through the build logs, I'll probably end up being quite similar to Phuncz's build here:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040384531&postcount=4

Seeing that I'll be using a card that consumes a little bit less power than the AMD one he has in there, it should work.

I was thinking of just sticking with the stock intel cooler for this, but would the added thermal stresses of a mini-ITX case necessitate a fancier air cooler?

I've used the Noctua NH-L12 (on a totally not-heat stressed out system - it was a Silverstone TJ-08e built as an ivy bridge-based linux server using integrated video), and I generally like it. I figure, if there are cases where I might actually stress the thing with some simulation/compute tasks, might as well...

Back