What will nVidia do about the X800 XL?

With early benchmarks showing the X800XL to be pretty much on par with the 6800GT and substantially cheaper, what does anyone think that nVidia will do to counter this?

I am aware that the XL is currently only in PCI-e and that nVidia buyers have the SLI option. However, it's unlikely that nVidia's marketing department is going to just sit back and let a much cheaper product run amok through sales of the 6800GT. It has been pointed out that cutting the price of the GT moves it into 6800nu territory, so some other product revisions could be a possibility.

So, assuming ATi manages to get the XL to market in suitable numbers, what does anyone think nVidia's response will be? I am hoping that it'll be good for the consumer.

Why? Imo x800XL missed its chance to be a gold seller, like 6800GT was, and for that matter still is. Prices of 6800GT lowers from day to day, here you can get a 6800GT around 140euros cheaper then on beggining.

In my Opinion<-----key word------ It does nothing to Nvidia. They have established the 6800 line. Not to mention, ppl who already have a GT are looking into another for SLI and this could only help them more if the XL drives the GT down in price. Sorry, I think if ATI had this card in AGP and in big numbers 6 months ago, it might have had some kind of impact. Like I said, the GT has pretty much established itself.

Another way to look at it is ppl like myself that paid almost $500 for an X800 Pro last June, feel a little duped by this move and will not buy another ATI card till the at least the next Gen is released, even though I can have an actual 16 pipe card for $300.

Nothing. When the X800XL first comes out, either it will be too late, price gouged, or next generation hardware will already come out. ATI is seriously making a mistake by announcing vaporware, even PCI-E 6800 cards can be found for slightly above MSRP... going into the 550-600 range for Ultras, and 425-475 for GTs. And X850 XT PEs? Average is around 820 dollars, with Chumbo being the exception except they took it out of their website for some odd reason ( :rolleyes: ). I'm willing to sell my two GTs for an X850XT PE (as they keep overheating cuz its hot where I live), but that would suck to sell and pay more for an X850 rather than make a profit. If this is the rate ATI is going at... imagine the price point when the X800XL comes out.... not much of a value anymore is it?

I mentioned facetiously in another thread that nVidia might just sit back and allow customer ignorance to dictate their purchase, hence the establishment of the 6800 series as being important. However, people buying at the $300 end of the market are more likely to know what they're after and would wonder why they should pay $100 more for something equivalent or fractionally better.

From my forum readings, I've seen a number of ATi fans who were wanting a new premier card and have been forced into buying the 6800GT over the X800Pro as everywhere more or less agrees that the GT is the better card. With the XL, there is a similar card for much less money; nVidia currently have nothing to combat it. Just like ATi have nothing to combat the 6600GT, but you can bet they're working on something.

I think nvidia won't do anything to combat the x800xl...I think pricing and supply will still be an issue for ATi...mostly though I think the issue will be PCI-E...people who are looking to build new systems right now based on PCI-E are doing it for SLI...if you're not going SLI there is little reason to make the jump to PCI-E right now...since the x800xl is PCI-E only, this will bite into their sales...

Also, as Nvidia ramps up 6800GT production for PCI-E, prices for that card will drop...between price gouging on the ati cards...and price drops on the nvidia cards as they become more available...I think you'll see the x800xl and the 6800GT pci-e selling within $50 of each-other...and for 50 bucks more...you get superior d3 performance and SLI capability...which nvidia is banking on...

However, with 16 pipes, at that price...it's sure to be a big seller if it ever makes it to market at MSRP...

^eMpTy^ said:
I think you'll see the x800xl and the 6800GT pci-e selling within $50 of each-other...and for 50 bucks more...you get superior d3 performance and SLI capability...which nvidia is banking on...

However, with 16 pipes, at that price...it's sure to be a big seller if it ever makes it to market at MSRP...

Yeah and we know how important 5 fps more in D3 is these days. :rolleyes:

mulpsmebeauty said:
With early benchmarks showing the X800XL to be pretty much on par with the 6800GT and substantially cheaper, what does anyone think that nVidia will do to counter this?

I am aware that the XL is currently only in PCI-e and that nVidia buyers have the SLI option. However, it's unlikely that nVidia's marketing department is going to just sit back and let a much cheaper product run amok through sales of the 6800GT. It has been pointed out that cutting the price of the GT moves it into 6800nu territory, so some other product revisions could be a possibility.

So, assuming ATi manages to get the XL to market in suitable numbers, what does anyone think nVidia's response will be? I am hoping that it'll be good for the consumer.

If nvidia drops the price of the 6800GT to 349 they should be fine. 6800GT still has a number of thing over the x800xl, like sm3.0, 16-bit hdr, and SLI. Then again, PCI-E 6800GT cards are currently being sold for $500 and people are buyng them... so we'll see, hopefully the x800xl will make them more reasonable.

mulpsmebeauty said:

That last thing is a big assumption now-adays. Ati has managed to make an "ass" out of "u" and "me" and most notably themselves.

And yeah... the XL is still unavailable so they've yet to start the months months of the "ATi-gouge." Honestly when you get down to it, it's really sad.... the new ATi. Hey when they do get a nice batch going.... Dell will get them all. Sweet isn't it.

texuspete00 said:
That last thing is a big assumption now-adays. Ati has managed to make an "ass" out of "u" and "me" and most notably themselves.

And yeah... the XL is still unavailable so they've yet to start the months months of the "ATi-gouge." Honestly when you get down to it, it's really sad.... the new ATi. Hey when they do get a nice batch going.... Dell will get them all. Sweet isn't it.
since when has dell used any ati card :confused:

This card can be called the too little, too late from ATI. If it had come out back in June of last year it would have been great competition. Like the saying goes, everyone who wanted one probably already has a 6800GT level card.

Dr. X said:
There you go, equivalent in price, inferior in performance.

It's still a bit cheaper than the pci-e 6800GT...even at that price it's not a *bad* buy...

^eMpTy^ said:
It's still a bit cheaper than the pci-e 6800GT...even at that price it's not a *bad* buy...

Not saying it's a bad buy, but at that price anyone in their right mind would take the 6800gt.

Dr. X said:
Not saying it's a bad buy, but at that price anyone in their right mind would take the 6800gt.

Well it depends on what the pci-e 6800gt is going for...if it's the same price...then yeah, the 6800GT is still the better card (not to mention SLI)...but the x800xl is no slouch...it's only real blemish is d3 performance...with q4 on the way that's kinda important if you're gonna drop $400 on a vid card...but if you don't care about those games...the x800xl has a lot going for it...

Probably nothing. What is the point when the next generation (or a refresh) is about to surface in five to six months?

Ballz2TheWallz said:
since when has dell used any ati card :confused:

They must have started about the same time you crawled under your rock. ATi has really tried to cater to the OEM's as of late Dell included. Add in their problems making cards and you and I my friend are left high and dry. The XL will be easily found in Dells before you or I can get them for MSRP at newegg.

I love my 6800 GT, but if the pci-e prices don't drop soon i'm not willing to pay $500 for a GT. The XL might have to do for now.

texuspete00 said:
They must have started about the same time you crawled under your rock. ATi has really tried to cater to the OEM's as of late Dell included. Add in their problems making cards and you and I my friend are left high and dry. The XL will be easily found in Dells before you or I can get them for MSRP at newegg.
sorry but i have never heard of a ati in a dell and they currently use nvidia 6800's and when i bought mine they all had nvidia

im sorry not that i keep up with dell but they have X800XT and PE wow when else have they included ati

Ballz2TheWallz said:
sorry but i have never heard of a ati in a dell and they currently use nvidia 6800's and when i bought mine they all had nvidia

im sorry not that i keep up with dell but they have X800XT and PE wow when else have they included ati

unless they use intel integrated gfx they use x300 in most of there machines, if you order an xps system you can get it with 850xt pe

Ballz2TheWallz said:

Back during the 9800 series and 5900 series they were using the 9800 PRO and 9800 XT for their XMS systems. Yea sorry to tell you but they've been using ATI for some time now

Even back in the Dell Dimension XPS 500 + series they were using ATI 128 RagePro Cards. Dimension 4100 series used the Nvidia MX series (either 2 or 4) can't remember.

Back