Votes: 4 9.1%
  • R9 3xx series

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • R9 2xx series

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters

Lunas

[H]F Junkie
I have an msi r9 270x the fans 1 died and it gives intermittent artifacts. The warranty is up Jan 31,2017 I am sending it in today.

I have seen reports of 2 years ago someone getting a r9 380 back.

Anyone care to take a guess at what I'll get back. I so far have a friend saying I will get my card back fixed.

I think that due to the generational age of that card and lack of availability for those old fans I'll get a RX series I don't know which of the 3 but I think I'll get an RX maybe or a r9 380 but I think it is more likely a RX 470 that I'll get back.

Last edited:
RX 470? not gona happen, too much difference in performance.

Maybe, at best R9 380 if they don't have any re-manufactured 270X, or an 370X which is the same card but for Asian market which probably they have lot of stock. Coming from a 270X I would be happy with the Tonga 380.

I doubt they keep old card stock just sitting around I think the chances I'll get a 270x back not mine is very slim and I don't think they will waste time trying to repair. I might not get an RX as they may have some r9 380 still around but again I doubt they would sacrifice warehouse space to store old cards that would be better off in the market or in the ewaste recycling bin. So that is why I think I'll get an RX even if it is a 460 it is still a win...

I put my money on a refurb 300 series card if they don't have any refurb 200's laying around. They MIGHT give you a 460 but you're more likely to get a refurb 300 series.

I bet you get money towards the purchase of a new card. I hope they don't give you the run around.

I bet you get money towards the purchase of a new card. I hope they don't give you the run around.
That would suck but they approved the RMA. I think they will give me a card back not just a 100 dollar gift card for a 250 dollar video card...

To be honest I don't care what they give me. I have a 280x in my rig and a sapphire 270x in a box. A RX 480 nitro+ already replaced this MSI gaming r9 270x 2gb

RX 470? not gona happen, too much difference in performance.

Maybe, at best R9 380 if they don't have any re-manufactured 270X, or an 370X which is the same card but for Asian market which probably they have lot of stock. Coming from a 270X I would be happy with the Tonga 380.
not that big of a gap between the 2 cards only about 15% the 460 is actually slower in some tests... Was under the impression similar performance or better is what they had to replace it with. Also I paid 237 for this card if we were to go off value i paid the rx 480 would be what they should replace it with... I doubt ill be that sort of lucky and a rx 460 or 470 would be a reasonable replacement.

With intermittent artifacting and a dead fan i don't think ill get the same card back...

Last edited:
Just got an email back today they said same card replacement is not possible and offered me a r7 370 4g which is a downgrade from the 270x

Just got an email back today they said same card replacement is not possible and offered me a r7 370 4g which is a downgrade from the 270x

Explain that it is a downgrade and ask for a better card. If the first person says no, call again and get another person. If the answer is still no, then ask for your issue to be escalated. :)

That's the way these companies work.

Explain that it is a downgrade and ask for a better card. If the first person says no, call again and get another person. If the answer is still no, then ask for your issue to be escalated. :)

That's the way these companies work.
That is exactly what i replied she is checking the inventory if she can do something else... Ill post the end result here when i find out... All and all i am having a rather pleasant experience with msi rma department. I had a good time with xfx recently too when my 280x was doa they sent me a new one right away...

That would suck but they approved the RMA. I think they will give me a card back not just a 100 dollar gift card for a 250 dollar video card...

To be honest I don't care what they give me. I have a 280x in my rig and a sapphire 270x in a box. A RX 480 nitro+ already replaced this MSI gaming r9 270x 2gb

not that big of a gap between the 2 cards only about 15% the 460 is actually slower in some tests... Was under the impression similar performance or better is what they had to replace it with. Also I paid 237 for this card if we were to go off value i paid the rx 480 would be what they should replace it with... I doubt ill be that sort of lucky and a rx 460 or 470 would be a reasonable replacement.

With intermittent artifacting and a dead fan i don't think ill get the same card back...

Sounds like you're "willing" it to happen. It may or may not, but I certainly wouldn't go into it with a sense of entitlement like they have to give you one that's a lot faster at everything. A 460 being slower in some tests means it's faster in others. A quick google search and I'd have to agree. A 460 would be the most reasonable and equal replacement to your 270x. It's equal to the 270x in performance and better at everything else.

Sounds like you're "willing" it to happen. It may or may not, but I certainly wouldn't go into it with a sense of entitlement like they have to give you one that's a lot faster at everything. A 460 being slower in some tests means it's faster in others. A quick google search and I'd have to agree. A 460 would be the most reasonable and equal replacement to your 270x. It's equal to the 270x in performance and better at everything else.
They came back with a r9 390 8g it ships Monday.

I've always had good luck with MSI. Both of my RMAs with them were for 2 year old cards and both times I got an ungrade.

Wow. Good thing I went MSI. Maybe one day if I have to send back my 1070 I can get a Titan in return. Haha.

dam.... mabye i should stop voiding the worenties of every card i touch and actualy rma somthing for once :p either way if your 270x or 390 needs a nice home i have some paypal.

I just sent my 7970 back last month to visiontek (lifetime warranty) and what did I get back? Another 7970 lol

I just sent my 7970 back last month to visiontek (lifetime warranty) and what did I get back? Another 7970 lol

Heck, at least you got a working card. I bought a Gigabyte 7970 GHz Edition several years ago and it was artifact city out of the box. I RMA'd it and they sent me back a used card that looks like it went the wrong way in a wave solder machine, fell to the bottom of it and melted a bit and then pulled out and dunked in a barrel of flux. The thing stank to high hell if you know what solder flux smells like. After I carefully cleaned the PCIe connector and dared to try it, same story but with the additional effect of grey jail bars on the Windows desktop.

I forced a refund on that card and sent it all back and got an XFX R9 280x instead. Never had an issue besides both fans failing at like the 2 year mark from 24/7 operation. XFX sent me out a whole cooler assembly so I could do the work myself which was nice so I didn't have extended downtime.

Heck, at least you got a working card. I bought a Gigabyte 7970 GHz Edition several years ago and it was artifact city out of the box. I RMA'd it and they sent me back a used card that looks like it went the wrong way in a wave solder machine, fell to the bottom of it and melted a bit and then pulled out and dunked in a barrel of flux. The thing stank to high hell if you know what solder flux smells like. After I carefully cleaned the PCIe connector and dared to try it, same story but with the additional effect of grey jail bars on the Windows desktop.

I forced a refund on that card and sent it all back and got an XFX R9 280x instead. Never had an issue besides both fans failing at like the 2 year mark from 24/7 operation. XFX sent me out a whole cooler assembly so I could do the work myself which was nice so I didn't have extended downtime.
Lol @ your user name after hearing that story ;)

My power color 290 reference came back a 390x powercolor cooler styled, The giant aluminum one. Plenty happy

I have an msi r9 270x the fans 1 died and it gives intermittent artifacts. The warranty is up Jan 31,2017 I am sending it in today.

I have seen reports of 2 years ago someone getting a r9 380 back.

Anyone care to take a guess at what I'll get back. I so far have a friend saying I will get my card back fixed.

I think that due to the generational age of that card and lack of availability for those old fans I'll get a RX series I don't know which of the 3 but I think I'll get an RX maybe or a r9 380 but I think it is more likely a RX 470 that I'll get back.

Heck yeah!!! That is a hellva upgrade!!!!! Congratulations on being cool and collecting your RMA powerhorse! Can I buy your R9 390 for $25.00! :joyful:

Only bummer is that you had to push back to get the better card. Glad it worked out, but it would have looked a lot better if they'd offered the 390 off the bat rather than make you protest their selection.

Only bummer is that you had to push back to get the better card. Glad it worked out, but it would have looked a lot better if they'd offered the 390 off the bat rather than make you protest their selection.
I would not have pushed back if the initial offer was for equal or better performance the 270x was quite a bit stronger than a 370 it does come close on some benches but it is basically a superclocked r7 265

Has anyone recently sent a 6870 to XFX? I'm losing the fans on the cooler. It's got a lifetime warranty but I'm thinking of changing cases.

Cross your fingers you might get lucky. I have had an unexpected upgrade once or twice

Back