what will conroe cost? and what mobo chip set?

tvdang7

Supreme [H]ardness
hi all im an amd guy atm and conroe seems pleasing. im a complete intel noob. besides pentium M

i want to know the price area that these chips will be at.

and do you need a new mobo to run it or will it need a new chipset?

as i can see the 8 and 9 series are dropping in price 200 bucks around. very nice prices for nice chips. of course i chose amd for the extra edge in gaming. but conroe looks good so yea if the price is right ill get it.

From a previous thread...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1028505&highlight=conroe+prices

Mako360 said:
Six versions of the Conroe processor at launch:

Conroe Extreme Edition (XE): 3.0GHz or more, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB shared L2 cache, unknown price.

E6700: 2.66 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 4 MB shared L2 cache, $530.
E6600: 2.40 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 4 MB shared L2 cache, $316.

E6400: 2.13 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 2 MB shared L2 cache, $241.
E6300: 1.86 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 2 MB shared L2 cache, $209.

E4200: 1.60 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2 MB shared L2 cache, uknown price.

These of course are not set in stone, but we really won't know till they come out. However, I doubt they are too far off personally.

What chipset will the motherboard need to run Conroe? I want to know my mATX options if I decide to try and switch.

GoldenTiger said:
What chipset will the motherboard need to run Conroe? I want to know my mATX options if I decide to try and switch.

I wish I could figure out the same thing :(. I ended up picking up an ATI chipset for cheap, and hopefully they'll be able to run Conroe with a bios update. If not, no biggie, it wasn't that expensive :).

price do look good. want to know the overclock potential. only time will tell.

the chipsets that support conroe is i965 (which isn't out) and the i985 (which also isn't out). There are a few boards that support conroe that are i975, but generally, the i975 boards being sold aren't conroe compatible.

bobbydole said:
Will any of those boards support SLI?

Nope, from what I understand (I don't follow nVidia that much) but the nForce5 boards will be conroe compatible and none of the existing Intel chipsets (even with Dual Graphics) will run SLI. There is some political BS between nVidia and Intel on SLI so I wouldn' thold your breath for an Intel based SLI solution.

I've got no clue yet. I heard i985 would support kentsfield, but it's all just speculation and rumor right now. Intel boards only support Crossfire since they've got something against Nvidia. There are companies like Abit which do make SLI and Crossfire compatible boards (atleast what I saw from the AW8D-Max, it supports both). =) Some company will do that for a conroe supported board, guaranteed

StealthyFish said:
the chipsets that support conroe is i965 (which isn't out) and the i985 (which also isn't out). There are a few boards that support conroe that are i975, but generally, the i975 boards being sold aren't conroe compatible.

I'm glad I've been reluctant to purchase a 975 board since Conroe is most definitely going to be my next CPU purchase.

Correct only some i975 boards will support conroe (at the moment). Apparently the Asus p5wdg2 - ws can do it? I have decided to wait for the intel (or nvidia) to get there act together and sort out a solution for the inadequate sli bandwith on the new intel chipsets.

from what I've been hearing. AW8D-Max (there's controversy) and that i975 board from Intel (bad axe). That's all i know on supporting conroe boards... O, that and MSI has a i975 conroe supported board, along with... hmm.... i forgot the company name that makes that one board with the i865 chipset/.

yeah i heard the i975 bad axe will support conroe too with revision 304 and guess what newegg is gonna be getting a new shipment of i975 from intel May 15.

i really wanted to have SLI on my next machine, but I'm not sure how long I can wait for nVidia to come out with a Conroe supported board... How much do you guys think these boards will cost? 100-150 or less then $100?

bobbydole said:
i really wanted to have SLI on my next machine, but I'm not sure how long I can wait for nVidia to come out with a Conroe supported board... How much do you guys think these boards will cost? 100-150 or less then $100?

I'd think you'd be lucky to get away with only paying $150 for a new SLI board with Conroe support since it's supposed to be NF5 or something.

kirbyrj said:
I'd think you'd be lucky to get away with only paying $150 for a new SLI board with Conroe support since it's supposed to be NF5 or something.

That's what I thought it would cost. Whats the cost for one of the non-sli intel boards coming out? Think any could be had for sub-$100?

So if I want to purchase an Intel Conroe system late this year, i'm going to have to run an ATI card? I don't plan on running SLI till late next year, which I would most likely buy a new board anyway.

kiwi.fruit said:
XE will be $1000 +/-

I'm betting more on $899 for the processor or perhaps 999 if they are trying to push their luck.

bobbydole said:
That's what I thought it would cost. Whats the cost for one of the non-sli intel boards coming out? Think any could be had for sub-$100?

Not initially, but you'll probably find some "value" vendors selling for $89, etc. after a while.

Kilomph said:
So if I want to purchase an Intel Conroe system late this year, i'm going to have to run an ATI card? I don't plan on running SLI till late next year, which I would most likely buy a new board anyway.

actually only Voodoo2 video cards will work with conroe until early 2007

jblue42 said:

I heard there's support for the S3 Virge, too. Rock on.

by the way, there are hacks out on intel boards that support crossfire to allow the chipset to run SLI, so if you wanted one now, you can go get one, you just get something to mask something Intel wrote into their chipset to disable SLI. 150 for a conroe board should be okay to find. A lot of i975 chipset boards are abuot 150-200 range. they have SLI//crossfire support too (most of them).

StealthyFish said:
by the way, there are hacks out on intel boards that support crossfire to allow the chipset to run SLI, so if you wanted one now, you can go get one, you just get something to mask something Intel wrote into their chipset to disable SLI. 150 for a conroe board should be okay to find. A lot of i975 chipset boards are abuot 150-200 range. they have SLI//crossfire support too (most of them).

It just has to be a mobo with 2 PCI-E. And Intel didnt write anything into the chipset to disable SLI, its simply nVidia drivers which wont enable SLI if it doesnt detect an Nvidia chipset.

yea, lol. sry, i was sittin on a crappy mac at school and i didn't bother deleting what i wrote after i remembered what happens, lol. too much lag for me to handle. those 300mhz macs my school got are a bitch

jblue42 said:

Your kidding, right? I'm goint to have to wait till Q1 to build a Conroe gaming rig?

Ockie said:
I'm betting more on $899 for the processor or perhaps 999 if they are trying to push their luck.
They don't need to push their luck. The FX-60 retailed for $1500, and AMD guys flocked to it, Intel could release the XE for $1500 and it would be sold out everywhere. The XE will be the fastest processor in existance at the time of release, and people will always pay top dollar if they can afford bleeding-edge.

Also guys, don't forget about the 965P boards. Intel's lower-end chipsets are always cheap and reliable. I built an awesome gaming rig around a $100 Intel 945P board. If the 965P boards are in line with the 945/915 prices then you could get a Conroe board for very cheap.

That E6600 looks perfect. 9x multiplier + 4mb L2 + 266MHz bus speed = overclocking heaven. :)

just wondering what the chances are of seeing a high end crossfire capable mobo, once conroe launches? and would such a board most likely use an intel chipset then and not one of ati's X3200 based chipset I presume

Karan said:
just wondering what the chances are of seeing a high end crossfire capable mobo, once conroe launches? and would such a board most likely use an intel chipset then and not one of ati's X3200 based chipset I presume

They are out right now. go pick up a Rev. 304 Intel 975 board and you'd be good to go.

Back