What will be your go-to replacement for HardOCP.com

TechSpot is a good sight indeed, their Youtube channel is Hardware Unboxed.
And the one I can think of that sounds similar is the Tech Report.
I JUST edited my post, thinking maybe it was TweakTown... but now that you mention TechReport, you may be right.... Thanks :)
Also, as someone that doesn't watch many youtube vids (mainly just AvE), I didn't know TechSpot == Hardware Unboxed, as I've seen their name in the recommendations a time or two, so good to know!

I mean I know it's probably sacrilege around here, but Steve who used to do the Hardnews has his own site now after the breakup with Kyle (Hypothermia...you can't actually put the link in on this forum...lol). Probably the closest thing to what you have now as it's essentially what you used to have a couple years ago ;).

Going thru my tech bookmarks and Hard|OCP's layout is best than all and is easier on my eyes. Black background, some red trims here and there makes a great layout.

Most other tech sites are too blight white.

Guru3D has a nice blue background, also easy on eyes.

My next bookmark to read is TechSpot. Nice layout than others, IMO.

Man, I gonna miss HardOCP.

Not sure, lurked here for years, came out of hiding only for things to wind down a couple of years later. :-(

I'll probably visit a variety of sites and forums for reviews, I don't have a preference at this point. With that said not sure if I'll ever be as comfortable to buy a product as I am after reading a positive [H] review on it.

Oh, also something I think is worth mentioning regarding reviews, particularly due to the fact that A) Kyle personally endorsed the idea (was posted in his Goodbye thread), B) these Forums will still be remaining online...
Considering that we all know the sort of content we look for in a review, as well as the amount of people we have in our community, that WE can always conduct reviews and post them in the forums for our fellow [H]'ers.

Yes, the entire point of reading reviews are to inform us of whether or not we want to invest in something, but... some people will ultimately still purchase something blindly, so this can be a very good way to at least provide us all with information regarding it.

There's also the possibility that, provided the guys would be willing given it'd be their own time now, those who are blindly purchasing hardware could maybe initially send them to Brent_Justice (graphics), Dan_D (motherboards), or Paul_Johnson (PSU) to give us their informed opinion on the item (quality, components, etc). Perhaps in the case of power supplies, maybe Paul would be willing to at least run it through the gamut of tests (assuming the test equipment is, or remains, his to use) :happy::shy:

Otherwise, beyond that, actual testing would all come down to us. I mean, it won't be nearly as "pretty", and may not be able to include the same tests for say games... However, the point is that they'd at least be honest and unbiased, and we can all pitch in to help format, edit, or suggest/request tests.

Just some food for thought.

EDIT: Crap, tagged the wrong Dan originally... sorry dude!

Last edited:
Anand as my primary I suppose. TechPowerUp and Guru3D are also pretty solid. I've been frequenting Overclock 3D since about 2010 and like Tony Tom Logan's videos but he's not quite as in depth as some of the others. Still good info tho.

I admit to also being on the YouTube bandwagon. Gamers Nexus and Buildzoid for my hard-core info then Jay, Paul and BitWit for general tech. I try to watch Linus occasionally but feel like I need a testosterone shot after a few episodes.

Oh, also something I think is worth mentioning regarding reviews, particularly due to the fact that A) Kyle personally endorsed the idea (was posted in his Goodbye thread), B) these Forums will still be remaining online...
Considering that we all know the sort of content we look for in a review, as well as the amount of people we have in our community, that WE can always conduct reviews and post them in the forums for our fellow [H]'ers.

Yes, the entire point of reading reviews are to inform us of whether or not we want to invest in something, but... some people will ultimately still purchase something blindly, so this can be a very good way to at least provide us all with information regarding it.

There's also the possibility that, provided the guys would be willing given it'd be their own time now, those who are blindly purchasing hardware could maybe initially send them to Brent_Justice (graphics), Dan_D (motherboards), or Paul_Johnson (PSU) to give us their informed opinion on the item (quality, components, etc). Perhaps in the case of power supplies, maybe Paul would be willing to at least run it through the gamut of tests (assuming the test equipment is, or remains, his to use) :happy::shy:

Otherwise, beyond that, actual testing would all come down to us. I mean, it won't be nearly as "pretty", and may not be able to include the same tests for say games... However, the point is that they'd at least be honest and unbiased, and we can all pitch in to help format, edit, or suggest/request tests.

Just some food for thought.

EDIT: Crap, tagged the wrong Dan originally... sorry dude!

Kyle may need to donate the PSU testing equipment etc to the guys for this to work out fully.
I wouldnt blame him for not because some of it is costly.
Unless of course the guys already own it.

shocked to see Hexus on some people list.. they are crap, they are very biased and basic.

Agreed, their reviews suck. I only read about once a week to see if I missed any industry news, as they seem to have some insight there.

TechSpot is Massively improved from 5 years ago, and most reviews there are worth reading. And Gamer's Nexus is my newest review haunt for stuff the majors wont cover (like multiplayer game CPU tests).

I still hit Anandtech And Tech Report daily, and Ars Technica for the "less computeer-cenrtricr but still highly technical news and reviews."

Ars is basically Slashdot with their own in-house writers, and they have attracted most of the best commenters from there. I'll usually read the comments before I finish the article :D

Last edited:
I always use TPU, guru3d, techspot and eurogamer as my go to websites.

A site I had forgotten about until ilusio13 mentioned it, but what are the opinions about KitGuru.net? (NOTE: .com is one of those no-bueno sites that I wasn't prepared to let load/redirect me!)
As I recall they do reviews, too.

Also, TechSpot is the site that Kyle would post news about on the front page that seemed to always include "Our good friends over at", isn't it?
I ask because I thought there was another similarly named site that I can't recall off hand and want to make sure :)

EDIT: After looking over his list again, pretty sure TweakTown is the other one that I was thinking about. So is it TechSpot or TweakTown?

Additionally, what's the opinion on Vortez. Over the last couple years I've seen them mentioned on WCCFTech quite a lot, and them being what they are, I have to question sources they tend to crawl. lol I know they've been around for quite awhile (maybe not compared to [H], but few have...)

The other site might be Techreport.com?

Edit : pawned by CAD4466HK above :)

As mentioned above, I've also been liking Hypothermia dot us, sorry...

Of course there's PCPer.com, should be at/near the top of everyone's list, they're doing really well, even after that other tra... um, er, ah, Ryan left for Intel as well... Love their Podcast, been a listener for ever now, they are or were? right across the river in KY from me here in Cincinnati. Good guys there.

This current format for "Tech News" we have now is just not gonna do it for me.

9652%2520-%2520mr._horse%2520no_sir_i_don't_like_it%2520reaction_image%2520ren_and_stimpy.gif

Last edited:
Ok, I have replacements for the general hardware and gaming news HardOCP gives me... but what about all the random tech/science/geek news that pop up on the main page? None of the alternatives really offer that. TPU has been my secondary tech site for years, and covers a lot, but now that that will be primary for such, I have a lack of science/geek/gaming stuff.

Any suggestions?

If you like the geek stuff, check out http://hackaday.com/blog, it's where I get my news, mostly about tech projects that normal people do. I don't have any suggestions for science or gaming...

Going to sub to a print edition of Maximum PC and give up on life. haha. I don't mind being a month or so behind the curve. I figure the forums here will keep on trucking and keep me abridged of anything important.
I've been subscribing to Maximum PC for years - started with Boot. It's a decent magazine (but agree it's a month or two behind).

/pol/?
Maybe /v/? I dunno. Too busy at the moment but it's going to suck when i'm not.

Still going to visit the forums for news and discussions.

Probably will use Gamers Nexus and Paul's Hardware on Youtube for hardware reviews and FPS numbers. Big fan of their testing methodology. techpowerup for everything else. They make nice graphs.

Without leadership, this forum will collapse.

Seriously Kyle, your first remit of Enthusiast marketing director must be the preservation of the very forum that both created and defined your job role!

:nailbiting:

Just my '2 cents', else it'll be fucking 'JayZscc22c' :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I mean I know it's probably sacrilege around here, but Steve who used to do the Hardnews has his own site now after the breakup with Kyle (Hypothermia...you can't actually put the link in on this forum...lol). Probably the closest thing to what you have now as it's essentially what you used to have a couple years ago ;).

I didn't know that Steve started a new site...cool...

SharkyExteme, Xbitlabs, FiringSquad, and DailyTech. Those are classics. I’m sure they’re not only still around for me to go back to, but are thriving....right?

Fun fact: Sharky Extreme Forums are still up with about 10 people posting there.

Ghost town is a bit of an exaggeration but news has certainly taken a hit. Still a decent amount of chat but new thread count is way down.

I hate to admit it, but the sad truth is that this forum is now dead. :(

I hate to admit it, but the sad truth is that this forum is now dead. :(
Strange.
[H] has many times more activity than Guru3D and there are no talks of it going down hill or dieing.

Back