What was your first emotional moment in gaming?

ADVENT_--_Crowther_Woods.png

This game taught me frustration, especially in the twisty little passages - ran on our trusty Data General Eclipse S130 (through a 6053 monitor)

Reactions: gvx64
like this
I wish I held onto my consoles sometimes

I had a NES/SNES/Saturn/PS1/PS2

But I honestly would never use them, maybe I'd sell them, but then I'd be like 'it would be worth more if I wait' and then never sell....
Same. At some point it’s time to grow up. Hell I still have my genesis and snes and haven’t touched them in six months.

Does trauma count? I used to be able to play any game with underwater enemies and combat. Monster hunter 3 ultimate? No problem. After playing subnautica I have ptsd. I'm not even joking. I can't look at water areas the same way again. I'm fine irl in lakes and the ocean, but in virtual spaces I am permanently spooked. No other game has ever had that effect on me. Played all the horror games under the sun and nothing like what happened after subnautica.

so anyways I'm super excited to play subnautica in vr soon

Same. At some point it’s time to grow up. Hell I still have my genesis and snes and haven’t touched them in six months.

I'm also a very immaterial person - so especially if I can digitize something - say with Roms and emulators - it makes it seem even more impractical to keep some physical thing taking up space when I could "still have it", just digital

I remember being emotionally invested in MGS2 for some reason when I was like, 11. Probably because I was young. I don't want to spoil what I felt emotional about, but if you played the game, you could figure it out. As I grew older I've stopped becoming emotionally invested in stories in games altogether. After reading certain novels, and watching classic movies, and TV shows - I felt the stories I'd find in a videogame are akin to some random amateurish internet fanfiction. Now I just feel a deep sense of satisfaction when beating tougher games (like Castlevania 3), but that's about it.

No game is worth the price that game goes for. I don’t usually condone piracy but in this case I’ll make an exception. If Sega would port the game over to PC or modern platforms I’d be all over it. I also played the game and didn’t think it was all it was hyped to be.

Like drinking a fine scotch. To those who love scotch, I get it. To those who don’t, you’re not missing anything.
It is my honest opinion that copyright law needs to be adjusted so that for content creators to be able to enforce rules around piracy, it should be required that they make their content available for sale to the public in some form at least once every 10-15 years. We have this horrible scalping situation right now where a huge number of games (especially role playing games) from the 6th console generation and earlier have never been re-released in any form. The used market for these games is absolutely ballooning out of control. Panzar Dragoon Saga is probably the worst example that I know of but there is a whole swath of other RPG's on the Saturn, PS1, Gamecube, NES and SNES that are selling used (sometimes even as a loose disc) for several times the MSRP.

Does trauma count? I used to be able to play any game with underwater enemies and combat. Monster hunter 3 ultimate? No problem. After playing subnautica I have ptsd. I'm not even joking. I can't look at water areas the same way again. I'm fine irl in lakes and the ocean, but in virtual spaces I am permanently spooked. No other game has ever had that effect on me. Played all the horror games under the sun and nothing like what happened after subnautica.

so anyways I'm super excited to play subnautica in vr soon
It wasn't my first emotional experience but one of my first games (after Mario 64) that I bought was Star Wars Shadows of the Empire on the 64. The boss in the sewers level was basically a giant version of that thing that grabbed Luke in the trash compactor of A New Hope that you had to fight in this murky underwater shark tank like area. I was like 10 and I was playing it with a friend watching who was a year older than me and he always wanted to be seen as this cool, tough guy. Even he was visibly scared when I was fighting that thing. I had nightmares for years afterwards and honestly it still creeps me out when I play it even despite the poorly-aged graphics:
1673047235124.png

Last edited:
Back