What was your first emotional moment in gaming?

I'm 52 born in 71 and have gamed since the 2600 days but my first "emotional" moment came when in 1986 I bought my very first NES cartridge with money earned flipping burgers. That single purchase made me the talk of my circle of friends for months. I went into Toys R Us with two of my buddies, as we slowly made our way to the aisle with all the NES consoles and cartridges, and there she was, a golden box with the the lettering on the front " The Legend of Zelda" with the shiny, gold cartridge peeking out from under the plastic. I grabbed it as fast as I could while soaking up the envious, but excited looks of my two best buds. We walked straight to the register and paid a total of 55 dollars and change. My entire check of two weeks wages at 3.25 an hour. Once home that was all she wrote as we spent the entire weekend locked in my room only stopping to use the bathroom and get treats! Me, my buds J and V during March of 1986 were lost in the world of Hyrule for what was the rest of spring and summer. We came, we conquered and gaming would never be the same......................................
Back in the day, there was the thing called TheWantAd. Think Craigslist in print form. My Ma found a listing for NES games. They had about 150 games, guns, Game Genie, and WIRELESS REMOTES. yes, wireless remotes. big honking purple controllers. She bought the entire lot for short change. I became a neighborhood star overnight.

I still have it on a shelf somewhere.

I'm 52 born in 71 and have gamed since the 2600 days but my first "emotional" moment came when in 1986 I bought my very first NES cartridge with money earned flipping burgers. That single purchase made me the talk of my circle of friends for months. I went into Toys R Us with two of my buddies, as we slowly made our way to the aisle with all the NES consoles and cartridges, and there she was, a golden box with the the lettering on the front " The Legend of Zelda" with the shiny, gold cartridge peeking out from under the plastic. I grabbed it as fast as I could while soaking up the envious, but excited looks of my two best buds. We walked straight to the register and paid a total of 55 dollars and change. My entire check of two weeks wages at 3.25 an hour. Once home that was all she wrote as we spent the entire weekend locked in my room only stopping to use the bathroom and get treats! Me, my buds J and V during March of 1986 were lost in the world of Hyrule for what was the rest of spring and summer. We came, we conquered and gaming would never be the same......................................
lol the funny thing is I played the legend of zelda for about 5 mins max and hated it never to play it again. Maybe this explains why I don't like Assassin's Creed games anymore they are too long and drawn out.

Seeing Doom for the first time, in the computer lab at school. I was like "finally things are starting to look realistic"
Agreed. Doom was incredibly badass. I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Emotional moment? Every time the announcer in the Unreal Tournament Game of the Year 1999 and Unreal Tournament 2K4 announcer goes "DOUBLE KILL! MULTI KILL! MEGA KILL! ULTRA KILL! KILLING SPREE!!! LUDACRIS KILL!!! RAMPAGE!!!! MA MA MA MA MONSTER KILL!!!!!!! GODLIKE!!!!! HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone please tell me they know wtf I'm talking about??? haha oh boi the good ol' days

Can anyone please tell me they know wtf I'm talking about??? haha oh boi the good ol' days

Back when CS was still in beta my friends and I were all over it.

One time I was playing with my buddy one-on-one waiting for the server to fill up, and first round, Dust, as a T, I did a 360 off the overpass and triple-headshot him before I hit dirt.

Not only did he rage-quit he disconnected the internet. I know because I called him right then and he picked up the phone.

"Ehh...Hello."

"Hey remember that time I shot you in the face?"

*furious slam slam phone sounds*

Last edited:
My first happy emotions that I can remember in terms of gaming is when my parents bought me Mario 3 and later on the game genie haha

I think it was when I first played a game on my PC 486 where you had to draw a line to uncover nude women.

My pants saw an emotional overload…

Define emotional?

I remember being scared playing the original Doom when it came out. Hearing the Cyberdemon without seeing him was terrifying. Also, E3 was pretty scary.

I was pissed playing Final Fantasy VII when Aerith died. She took all of my powerful summons and leveled up materia when she ran off and got murdered by Sephiroth.
Yes, this was the first time in gaming where I had a real emotional response aside from being generally excited about a game or console.

I was pissed playing Final Fantasy VII when Aerith died. She took all of my powerful summons and leveled up materia when she ran off and got murdered by Sephiroth.
All of the materia that Aerith has equipped get dumped into your inventory after she is killed. She only takes the equipment she has on at the time to the grave.

All of the materia that Aerith has equipped get dumped into your inventory after she is killed. She only takes the equipment she has on at the time to the grave.
I remember losing Bahamut and Ifrit when she died quite fondly lol. Game may have bugged out on me, who knows. Any subsequent playthroughs of the game since resulted in her not getting anything lol.

Emotional moments for me are always how I reacted and engaged with a story in a game. For me the biggest impact to this day was this:

I think in particular that sound track meshed with the narrative really hit me as a child. Reading about the amount of stress the composure was under during that time period as an adult really made so much sense viscerally to my experience as a child. So much passion and effort went into it, he wound up in the hospital due to the immense amount of stress he put himself through. To this day, it's one of the most iconic sound tracks of all time.

Reactions: Jelly
like this
I guess if you're talking about "sad" emotions, for sure it must've been FF6, with Celes getting (what I assumed was) gang raped and then later trying to commit suicide, then that opera scene showing her sorta-turning point. I wrote down the lyrics on a piece of paper, for obvious reasons to those who played through that. The next day my mom told me she picked it up thinking I wrote it and told me she cried reading it. I was like "uh, no, I didn't write that girly shit." then I likely went into my room and cried, cuz I was on my period or something, I dunno...

I guess if you're talking about "sad" emotions, for sure it must've been FF6, with Celes getting (what I assumed was) gang raped and then later trying to commit suicide, then that opera scene showing her sorta-turning point. I wrote down the lyrics on a piece of paper, for obvious reasons to those who played through that. The next day my mom told me she picked it up thinking I wrote it and told me she cried reading it. I was like "uh, no, I didn't write that girly shit." then I likely went into my room and cried, cuz I was on my period or something, I dunno...
I actually recently played it for the first time, amazing game.

Final Fantasy IV. Losing Kain a second time and finding out Cecil and Golbez are brothers.

Reactions: Youn
like this
For me it was an old 8-bit game on the Atari (and probably Amiga) Alternate Reality - The City. I spent a whole summer with some friends completely mapping that city out and finding things. The kicker was after thinking we knew everything about that damn game. a new friend we met (now my best friend), told us about the spells in the game. We were like....Uhhh....Watcchaa Talkin 'Bout Willis!!......we had no idea that they had added guilds and spells into the game at some point...LOL.

Fond memories playing Ultima III: Exodus as well. I was in self exile during that summer too...haha.

1669939190558.png

vanilla wow beginning of 2005. playing the starter zones as a dwarf hunter. just a feeling that has never been matched since, cant even describe it, pure magic, like video game crack basically. other people have said the same thing about their first mmo such as everquest.

earleir than that, starfox on n64 gave me "feelings" and goldeneye 007 was just a blast.

Reactions: Jelly
like this
vanilla wow beginning of 2005. playing the starter zones as a dwarf hunter. just a feeling that has never been matched since, cant even describe it, pure magic, like video game crack basically. other people have said the same thing about their first mmo such as everquest.

earleir than that, starfox on n64 gave me "feelings" and goldeneye 007 was just a blast.
I'll never forget playing during the beta and just being completely enamored. IMO there was NOTHING like it at the time.

I've been gaming since my VIC20, Atari 800XL and TRS-80 Color Computer (and CoCo 3) days, and I have been technically impressed by a lot of games. Every platform had something amazing come out for it. The VooDoo years were also a time of great amazement. Wing Commander, Tie Fighter, Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age, Mass Effect... all great games and most of them great SERIES of games that I loved immensely.

But there has only ever been 1 game that emotionally resonated with me such that I cried at the end of it: Nier Automata. Yes, the REAL end of it where you end up shooting the credits and other people who sacrificed their save games come to help you out. TO THIS DAY, whenever I hear Possessed By Disease from the game soundtrack I can't help but think about that long trek across the map to reach 9S, infected with that virus with my vision fading in and out to red, and then collapsing and dying right at his feet and I tear up.

Every.
Time.

Finishing lost Eden - first game I completed fair and square as a kid.

The end of Mission Critical. First time a game made me stop and ~think~ at the end…

First one of significance was definitely loading up and experiencing Tomb Raider Greatest Hits on the PS1 for the first time when I was around 8 years old. The beautiful greatest hits menu and game menu with Nathan McCree's wonderful music playing in the background. Pulling a switch for the first time in the game's first cave level. I was so deeply touched and awestruck.

Late reply but this is still one of my favorite games ever. I know it hasn't "aged well" according to kids but damn, I still go back and replay this game every few years or so. The level design is just so good, and even if Lara uses tank controls, the game's design is centered around that so it's not all that bad.

Late reply but this is still one of my favorite games ever. I know it hasn't "aged well" according to kids but damn, I still go back and replay this game every few years or so. The level design is just so good, and even if Lara uses tank controls, the game's design is centered around that so it's not all that bad.
I completely agree, and I still play it now and then too. I like to play the first four levels to the scion at least once a year.

Could you imagine where classic Tomb Raider would be at right now if it was made open source from the beginning and more mod-friendly like Doom was? The source ports, the mods, the amazing content we'd have. Thankfully they at least released the tomb raider level editor a little later with Chronicles. And the community is starting to bring things to a much better state today with projects like Tomb1Main.

I completely agree, and I still play it now and then too. I like to play the first four levels to the scion at least once a year.

Could you imagine where classic Tomb Raider would be at right now if it was made open source from the beginning and more mod-friendly like Doom was? The source ports, the mods, the amazing content we'd have. Thankfully they at least released the tomb raider level editor a little later with Chronicles. And the community is starting to bring things to a much better state today with projects like Tomb1Main.
For a completely different reason the Saturn version also was emotional for me.

In the year 2008, I just got a Saturn in college. I read a gamespot review saying that the Saturn version of Tomb Raider was uglier but played smoother. So I got a cheap copy of the game and booted it up and…

Well… it’s uglier for sure. But it definitely did not play smoother than the PlayStation. In fact, it played worse! Many times larger areas sent the Saturn into single digit frame rates. A colossal disappointment. I have no idea what that gamespot reviewer was smoking or if he had a beta copy or what, or if he was comparing an NTSC Saturn copy to a PAL PlayStation... I’ve never seen a review be so wrong about something.

The one saving grace about the Saturn though is that the tank controls suit its controller better. When switching back to the PlayStation I found myself accidentally falling off cliffs more.

But yeah, I would never recommend the Saturn version for any but the morbidly curious. It’s also the buggier release too because it was rushed for the holiday. You apparently can’t get all secrets in the game because of a bug that was later fixed in the PlayStation and PC versions.

Tomb Raider has always been one of my favorite franchises since I played the first when it came out on PSX, but aside from being that first hit of crack, the OG first game really holds no special place to me

Tomb Raider 2013 > OG Tomb Raider

Even Tomb Raider Anniversary > OG Tomb Raider

Every 1st Tomb is a good Tomb Raider I guess

edit: Tomb Raider Anniversary is 0.98 cents ATM

Reactions: t1k
like this
Tomb Raider has always been one of my favorite franchises since I played the first when it came out on PSX, but aside from being that first hit of crack, the OG first game really holds no special place to me

Tomb Raider 2013 > OG Tomb Raider

Even Tomb Raider Anniversary > OG Tomb Raider

Every 1st Tomb is a good Tomb Raider I guess
I enjoyed Legend. It was a fantastic reboot of the series.

There are a lot of them. Opening the NES System with SMB3 was cool. Playing Sonic the Hedge Hog2 and being blown away by how it sounds and looks. Beating Super Medriod. Firing up Tomb Raider and being attacked by a T-Rex was intense. Original Resident Evil and having the living crap scared out of me in the long hallway with the dogs. The intensity of F.E.A.R. 1, RE Village ending............................................................................................... That one got me.

Some day I should actually finish a resident evil game.

Maybe I’ll fire up the first one on PC with mods to eliminate the stuff I couldn’t stand just to see the story

Some day I should actually finish a resident evil game.

Maybe I’ll fire up the first one on PC with mods to eliminate the stuff I couldn’t stand just to see the story

rumors of a remake of the 1st game in the pipeline - they even asked a fan-made game of the 1st one to shut down like they did with a fan-made game of the 2nd to shutdown before they announced 2 remake

rumors of a remake of the 1st game in the pipeline - they even asked a fan-made game of the 1st one to shut down like they did with a fan-made game of the 2nd to shutdown before they announced 2 remake
Given that other than the setting, I didn’t like much,.. unlimited inventory and saves. They already ditched tank controls, so that helps. Hmm. Next game! Trainers abound.

For a completely different reason the Saturn version also was emotional for me.

In the year 2008, I just got a Saturn in college. I read a gamespot review saying that the Saturn version of Tomb Raider was uglier but played smoother. So I got a cheap copy of the game and booted it up and…

Well… it’s uglier for sure. But it definitely did not play smoother than the PlayStation. In fact, it played worse! Many times larger areas sent the Saturn into single digit frame rates. A colossal disappointment. I have no idea what that gamespot reviewer was smoking or if he had a beta copy or what, or if he was comparing an NTSC Saturn copy to a PAL PlayStation... I’ve never seen a review be so wrong about something.

The one saving grace about the Saturn though is that the tank controls suit its controller better. When switching back to the PlayStation I found myself accidentally falling off cliffs more.

But yeah, I would never recommend the Saturn version for any but the morbidly curious. It’s also the buggier release too because it was rushed for the holiday. You apparently can’t get all secrets in the game because of a bug that was later fixed in the PlayStation and PC versions.
Yeah that is interesting. I have watched a ton of retrospectives on the Saturn over the past year and the general consensus I have heard is that Tomb Raider was intended by its developer to have been initially released for the Saturn as an exclusive. Supposedly, it was ported and released on the PS1 only because of the much larger install base that started to become really apparent after 1995. It definitely makes you think that the Saturn would have "preferred hardware status" for Tomb Raider, but based on what you're saying it sounds like the Saturn version was more of a beta release and that the PS1 got the final proper, stable working version.

Nonetheless, it's cool that you got a Saturn that long ago. I'll bet that you could have bought Shining Force III, Dragon Force and Bomberman Saturn for a semi-reasonable price on the used market back then and Panzar Dragoon Saga would have only costed you an arm as opposed to an "arm+leg+full body+your first born" that it costs today. I really wish that I had gotten into the Saturn back when you did, doing so today basically isn't worth it unless you are a hardcore game collector and willing to put down serious $$ as part of an investment.

Reactions: t1k
like this
Yeah that is interesting. I have watched a ton of retrospectives on the Saturn over the past year and the general consensus I have heard is that Tomb Raider was intended by its developer to have been initially released for the Saturn as an exclusive. Supposedly, it was ported and released on the PS1 only because of the much larger install base that started to become really apparent after 1995. It definitely makes you think that the Saturn would have "preferred hardware status" for Tomb Raider, but based on what you're saying it sounds like the Saturn version was more of a beta release and that the PS1 got the final proper, stable working version.

Nonetheless, it's cool that you got a Saturn that long ago. I'll bet that you could have bought Shining Force III, Dragon Force and Bomberman Saturn for a semi-reasonable price on the used market back then and Panzar Dragoon Saga would have only costed you an arm as opposed to an "arm+leg+full body+your first born" that it costs today. I really wish that I had gotten into the Saturn back when you did, doing so today basically isn't worth it unless you are a hardcore game collector and willing to put down serious $$ as part of an investment.
I have one still. Had to sell saga to oy car insurance - was a good game I’ll never afford to buy back. I even played it!

I have one still. Had to sell saga to oy car insurance - was a good game I’ll never afford to buy back. I even played it!
No game is worth the price that game goes for. I don’t usually condone piracy but in this case I’ll make an exception. If Sega would port the game over to PC or modern platforms I’d be all over it. I also played the game and didn’t think it was all it was hyped to be.

Like drinking a fine scotch. To those who love scotch, I get it. To those who don’t, you’re not missing anything.

Reactions: gvx64
like this
I wish I held onto my consoles sometimes

I had a NES/SNES/Saturn/PS1/PS2

But I honestly would never use them, maybe I'd sell them, but then I'd be like 'it would be worth more if I wait' and then never sell....

Back