What was your 1st 3D video card ?

9800 Pro 128mb back in 2004. It was paired with an xp 2500+ at 2.2GHZ. First PC build. Been PC gaming ever since.

Don't laugh.

virgedx_fhq.jpg

S3 Virge/DX 2MB

First game I think was Moto Racer, it ran at like 10 fps@400x300. Then it was Shadows of the Empire which only barely ran on it with lots of graphical glitches. And Jedi Knight, which run without graphical issues at the old faithful 400x300 res, but FPS would drop to like 0.5FPS on more open areas.

It was really more a 3D decelerator than an accelerator.

The first actual card I ever had was an OG GeForce 256, of the non DDR flavor. According to nVidia, it was the first GPU, a term they coined to refer to a chip that had onboard transform and lighting.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/442

Prior to that, I had a motherboard with integrated 3D graphics - an ATI Rage Pro Turbo, as I recall. It shared a few megabytes of the system ram, and was slow as balls, but better than nothing.

First card on my own build (which I got for college) was the 3dfx Voodoo 3000.

After that I think I bought the AMD 9700 Pro but it didn't work with the CRT 3D shutter glasses, so I swapped it for an Nvidia 4 Ti and I've been on Nvidia ever since.

A family friend built a computer for me when I was starting out. It had a 32MB ATI Rage video card in there. Then I started getting components to start learning how to upgrade and I went with the Diamond Viper V770 nVidia Riva TNT2 AGP

View attachment 288479

Hellz yeah! Mine too, the 32MB version. Played UT sweet at the time.

I still have mine. No box though :( I miss cool box art.

Last edited:
Rendition V1000
3Dfx voodoo
3Dfx voodoo 2
3Dfx voodoo 2 SLI
GeForce 256 DDR
Geforce 3
Geforce Ti4400
Radeon 9800
Geforce 6800 GT
Radeon X1800XT
Geforce 8800gtx
Radeon 4870
Radeon 4870x2
Radeon 5870
Geforce 580
Geforce 580 SLI
Geforce 780ti
Geforce 980ti
Geforce 1080
Geforce 1080 SLI
RTX 2080ti

Rendition V1000
3Dfx voodoo
3Dfx voodoo 2
3Dfx voodoo 2 SLI
GeForce 256 DDR
Geforce 3
Geforce Ti4400
Radeon 9800
Geforce 6800 GT
Radeon X1800XT
Geforce 8800gtx
Radeon 4870
Radeon 4870x2
Radeon 5870
Geforce 580
Geforce 580 SLI
Geforce 780ti
Geforce 980ti
Geforce 1080
Geforce 1080 SLI
RTX 2080ti

What was your 1st 3D video card ?​

not a list...

First one Ive ever had was a S3 Virge. First one I ever bought with my own money (allowance) was a GeForce 2 MX400 (puke). First one I ever bought with my own money (from my job) was a Radeon 9800 Pro.

First game was probably Wolfenstein 3D.

Last edited:
Reactions: M76
like this
Diamond Monster 3D, which was a voodoo 1 4mb.

Edit: First game to use it, I don't know. I had trouble getting it to work, I was 11 years old and I couldn't get it to make a difference in the games I played and I didn't understand any of the technical details beyond that it was supposed to make 3D graphics look nicer. I was able to get the tech demos on the installation CD to work, I remember that. I played Duke3D, Diablo, TIE Fighter, but I think none of those used hardware accel. Maybe Descent Freespace?

Last edited:
Such a long time ago, hard to remember exactly. I do remember having a "Jazz Adrenaline Rush 3D" so I'll go with Voodoo Rush.

First one Ive ever had was a S3 Virge. First one I ever bought with my own money (allowance) was a GeForce 2 MX400 (puke). First one I ever bought with my own money (from my job) was a Radeon 9800 Pro.

First one that was given to me was the Virge above,
First one I bought myself with my parents money was a Diamond Viper V330 (Nvidia Riva 128 4MB)
First one I bought with my own money (from allowance / gift money) was a Radeon 8500LE.
First one I bought with money from my first full time job: Geforce 7600GS 256MB (complete turd, was slower than the 9800PRO it replaced. So within a month or so I got a X1950Pro)

First one I "personally" bought back in High School... Voodoo 3 3000 AGP. Before that, always got the "hand me downs" from my dad... likes of the Matrox Millennium 3d PCI, Voodoo 2 PCI... etc.

3DFX Voodoo 2 AGP. Got in middle school in the 90’s. Installed in a Compaq Presario PC. My love & hobby for PC’s was solidified after that moment.

First was an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420. I wanted to play Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds so bad that I paid around $500 bucks for a custom PC...lol

The first "3D" card that I actually used, was a STB Velocity 3D, with its 4 MB of EDO VRAM + 4 MB EDO DRAM.

This card used the S3 Virge VX chipset, but it flat out stank for 3D applications, even the Mechwarrior II game that came with it.

It was, on the other hand, a good 2D card, especially for graphics work.

The first 3D accelerator I ever had was the Voodoo Rush.
I think that came with Turok, which is at least the first 3D accelerated game that I remember.

Well the first I had that CLAIMED it was 3d was the matrox millenium. That was effectively a load of shit. Then millenium g200. I forget what games I played on that, but it actually did something. Then I went geforce 256.

Geforce3 TI500, I lusted after the voodoo cards but never got one. I can't remember the first game but I think it was Counter-Strike or maybe Tribes 2.

My first three

S3 Virge (ran Descent well)
3DFX Vodoo (ran GL Quake well)
Savage 2000 (ran Unreal Tournament well)

First 3D accelerator was a Riva 128 w/ 8MB(!) VRAM but that was onboard in the family computer. First real card I bought was a S3 Savage 4, which was rubbish and I replaced it with a Geforce 2 MX as quick as I could.

I’m pretty sure my first card was a creative build of a rendition verite that my dad got me, but Almost none of the games I played used it. I strung out that pentium 133 until the p2 400s dropped, and I bought one at launch. I spent a whole summers worth of money on a p2 400 w/ sli diamond monster voodoo 2 12 mb cards. I think the 2d card I was using was an intel 2d card, but I can’t remember the model number. I played so much quake 2 and mechwarrior 2 on that PC.

A Voodoo Banshee in 1999, with which I played my first 3D accelerated game: Tomb raider - The last revelation. It's ironic, because it was an authentic revelation for me to play a game at 640x480 in what must have been somewhere between 30-60fps. Measuring FPS wasn't anywhere near my radar back then (probably not on most people's minds), but it was buttery smooth and my jaw dropped when I saw that framerate fluidity and high-definition of 480p (2 decades later me: LOL). I cannot forget that moment, it's burned into my brain. It was so powerful, I started tracking every GPU I buy for future nostalgia's sake:

1602947679819.png

Last edited:
Monster 3D card (Voodoo1) because it was the only thing I could install in my PC in like 1997-1998.

I upgraded to an S3 Savage 4 after that, which was my first 2D/3D card.

After that I had a long string of GeForce cards, then the Radeons in the 9700 Pro era.

My first card was a Trident something with 1mb of video memory and a CGA monitor playing tetris on a 5 1/4 floppy.

Back