What was your 1st 3D video card ?

My first 3D accelerator card was a 3Dfx Voodoo with 6Mb ram. I think it was an Elsa card, but I don't remember 100%.

To The Max 4MB 3DFX Voodoo card on a P133 with 32 MB Ram. Not long after the computer was upgraded to a P200 which allowed Unreal to run so much better.

Quake, Quake 2, Hexen 2, Half-Life, Unreal, etc. Sometimes I wish I could experience it all over again.

Last edited:
Th Canopus Pure3D 3Dfx Voodoo board with it's jaw dropping 6 MB of ram!!!! That card in turn was what led me to the [H] doing research on it and tweaking it out. I remember thinking how amazing games looked running in Glide.

Diamond Monster Voodoo 2 12MB. Picked up another a few months later for SLI. 2D was powered by the onboard ATI card. CPU was a pentium 2 300mhz, 32 megabytes of ram.

Ran half life at more than 60fps!

ATI Mach64 GT was my first 3D accelerator although it was embedded on the motherboard so I don't know if it counts.

If it doesn't, then a 3dfx Voodoo3. I think it was a Voodoo3 2000 16MB AGP but I can't be sure.

Western Digital Paradise Tasmania 3D 4MB PCI. I still have it. It was one of the first consumer 3D accelerators and came out before Voodoo Graphics. You plugged it into a 2D video card via a loopback cable and all video was output through the 3D accelerator, a design 3dfx later copied.

IhpSWbW.jpg

It wasn't D3D compatible and never got a OGL ICD. It did have support of several games, so at least it had that. My first "real" 3D card was the Rendition V2x00 based Diamond Stealth II S220. It was a competitor to Voodoo Graphics and the Riva128 (I also bought both of those cards later).

3DFX Voodoo was my first real 3D card but for the life of me I can't remember what game I played on it first.
It's been what now? Nearly 20 years?

ATI 3D Rage Pro Turbo AGP 8x w/ 8MB SDRAM
This sexy beast brings back a taste of 1999! :D

ati_video_card_109-49800-10.jpg

Voodoo Banshee

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/preview-3dfx-voodoo-banshee,72.html

Going from CPU rendered games to this was like going from SDTV to HDTV.

Specifically this exact model:

91KiYNvhm3L._SL1500_.jpg

There will never be the same level of graphical improvement you'll witness like there was going from an N64 to playing Computer games (and they felt quite different than console games back then) on a 1024*768 60 Hz progressive scan monitor.

Last edited:
PNY MX420 PCI. Bought it to play BF1942 and C&C Renegade. Was so jealous of people who had and AGP slot for much faster cards

First video card was a 4-color cga card to play kings quest 2. I think it had 16 kilobytes of memory. 320x240 res was the standard. After that I upgraded to vga with 512k ram for 640x480 @ 256 colors.
320x200, not 320x240. That was before the invention of square pixels. :) VGA could only do 640x480x16, but with 512KB it was probably an SVGA.

First dedicated 3d accelerator was unfortunately a shiitthy Geforce 2 MX 200 with 64MB of ram back in 2001. ... Sadly, that same videocard was used to beat half life 2 5 years later.
HL2 runs on GF2?!

Nvidia Ti4200 http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce4ti.html
so I could run Diablo 2 at a decent level.
What did you have before? If I recall, the only thing Diablo 2 did with 3D hardware was some fancier lighting on the 2D graphics.

S3 Virge+ Voodoo2 combo. Was running that for a long time. Riva TNT couldn't match graphics quality. I remember how tiresin the Need for Speed game were round on Ati hardware, while they were more square on TNT. It also had draw distance problems - V2 was far more superior.
ATI or Voodoo 2? Besides games that only supported 3D well in Glide, TNT was newer and more advanced so looked better than Voodoo 2 in D3D/OGL.

That was so long ago I am having trouble remembering, but I do know I had a diamond stealth 3d 2000 in the mid 90's.. and at some point a 3dfx voodoo banshee..

ATI 9000 Pro 128MB. I had been a console gamer all my life and didn't really know PC gaming existed. I bought my self a cheap AMD Athlon computer for college that I only used for school and pr0n. I went to go buy beer one day and at the checkout they had a PC gamer magazine. I bought it and inside was a demo for Black Hawk Down. I tried to play it and was confused why the game was running so choppy. I learned that I needed a video card and after buying the 9000 Pro and then playing BF 1942 I never touched my PS2 ever again.

Diamond Monster 3D was my first IIRC, so many cards in so many systems over the years that it gets hard to keep it all straight.

depending on how you want to classify it:

ATI 3D Rage (first 3d chip, but was not a discrete card)

ATI Radeon 7000 (I guesz technically my first discrete cardbut was given to me while i waited on ordering my card for my first build. only had it about a week though)

ATI Radeon 9800pro (first dedicated card that was permanent in my system)

My first "3D" deaccelerator was the S3 Virge 3D back in '95...On wait, I think you meant cards that could actually render 3D faster then a CPU. In that case the honor goes to the Nvidia based Creative Graphics Blaster Riva TNT upon release in '98 (I was 16, loved having 2 jobs so I could afford my Jeep for the girlies and my "stealth geek" side):p

86676.jpg

Followed quickly by the Voodoo 3 3000 AGP at least release in '99..God I miss Starseige Tribes:(:(:(:(:(...

OMG This.

Me and the rest of the high school geek squad used to install Tribes on the PCs in the computer lab and play for hours after school - until they got wise and finally hired an admin who was smarter than we were, lol it took a few tries until they found one!

Western Digital Paradise Tasmania 3D 4MB PCI. I still have it. It was one of the first consumer 3D accelerators and came out before Voodoo Graphics. You plugged it into a 2D video card via a loopback cable and all video was output through the 3D accelerator, a design 3dfx later copied.

IhpSWbW.jpg

It wasn't D3D compatible and never got a OGL ICD. It did have support of several games, so at least it had that. My first "real" 3D card was the Rendition V2x00 based Diamond Stealth II S220. It was a competitor to Voodoo Graphics and the Riva128 (I also bought both of those cards later).
What games that supports that card you know? Can you make list please?

I had a matrox mystique, a creative branded voodoo, a s3 trio64V+.. I remember having a cirrus logic 805p too, but that wasn't 3d

First 3D game played was mechwarrior 2 on the mystique. I played a lot of the original quake on the voodoo(overclocked, naturally)

From memory it was on a Cyrix p-133? (struggling to remember) to start with, then k6-200.

Last edited:
Intel i740 integrated on a 810 chipset and a 550 MHz Katmai processor, almost two decades ago. Soon upgraded to GF 256 32 MB SDR....and thus started the journey

3dfx voodoo 1

My dream setup after that was a canopus spectra tnt with voodoo2 sli

Diamond Stealth II S220 4MB (Rendition Vérité V2x00) w/ Diamond Monster 3D II 8MB (Voodoo2)

8500LE I bought with Morrowind. First card I bought myself after helping my dad for a few weeks in the summer. Was 13 or 14.

The first I recall growing up was having an ATI 7500 on a Windows 2000 PC.

I know we had earlier cards but I don't remember what they are. Wish I could remember what we were playing EverQuest on in 1999.

3DFX's Voodoo 5 5500 AGP was my first personal 3D accelerator. The family computer had a Voodoo2 if I recall correctly.

The first game that I can remember playing on it that wowed me was Serious Sam. The music and graphics were lit, even if the gameplay was just OK. I remember using the overclocking tool for that card that someone made - and getting it to 174Mhz (166 was stock) 😎

Last edited:
I think my first was like a Radeon 9500 (circa 2003?)

I remember upgrading to an nvidia 6600GT as the first videocard I bought with my own money. To play Half-Life 2!

Back