What was your 1st 3D video card ?

My first proper 3d GPU was a first gen nvidia GeForce with DDR memory, a gift from my older brother. Not long after that I snagged a couple of Voodoo Banshees for my secondary machines, which held their own a lot longer than I expected.

Many hours of Quake3 were played on those cards.

I think my sweet Packard Bell 486 was using some sort of VESA onboard video, but I dunno for sure.
My first custom build had a Diamond Stealth S3 in it.

Verite 3d card. Had a special version of quake that ran in 3d with this card. Most incredible upgrade of my computing experience.

Kid

Two Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo 2 cards and a Matrox G200 installed in my AMD K6-2 300 @336Mhz/FIC-Va503+ with Win95 USR2

My first Video card was a Trident TVGA8900C (on my overclocked 286@16Mhz)

Gods I still remember how much of an upgrade this was at the time.

ft-001rm.gif

I think the first card I had was a tnt1 card, however the first card I was like wow was a 3dfx 5500 sli card :) that made Quake 3 awesome.

First GPU for my rig was a GeForce GTX260. I waited till I built it to play HL2.

First games I played were on the family computer w/ "Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2"

Getting fuzzy but S3 Trio 64 AGP of some sort on AMD 486DX2-80 running Doom but first proper is probably 3DFX Voodoo. Don't remember what I did with those but still have a bunch of unused Voodoo 3000, Viper V770U, etc. that vendors used to throw free samples at us when I used to work for a major international distributor.

First GPU for my rig was a GeForce GTX260. I waited till I built it to play HL2.

First games I played were on the family computer w/ "Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2"

Intel Extreme Graphics, now that was dope. :p

Single-slot cooler and dual DVI? Sexy :D. NVIDIA needs to get a single-slot GTX 960 with 4x DisplayPort (or 3x DisplayPort + 1x HDMI 2.0). I could only imagine how popular that would be with the SFF crowd ;).

I honestly don't know why no one makes one. There area few manufacturers out there that make cards that are watercooled and who's water blocks only take up one slot but the back plane takes up both slots. They could easily put 3 or 4 mini displayports on the back with break out cables.

I do not remember what I had in my first couple computers, but I do remember my first GPU upgrade, a TNT2.....from that point on I built all my computers myself.

Voodoo and Descent and an Orb controller. Lt You reporting in! Yes, I was that guy. I still have a serial link Orb.

First one was Matrox Mystique with it's specialized thing or whatever... next was my vooodoo 2 add-on card from diamond. ATI Rage Pro was my first standalone I guess. GeForce 2 Ultra was my first "srs business" card.

Geforce MX400 but it was terrible. The first game/mmo i ever played was FFXI on PC back in 2002 and that tempted me to get a nice graphic card for it. I believe the geforce4 ti4600 is what i purchased for almost $200 at that time. I was so amazed by the performance of this thing :p

ATI Rage IIc. Horrible card. Graphics deaccelerator. Everything ran better and faster in software mode.

The Voodoo 1 of course. Heh, I remember playing Quake with it for first time...holy sweetness.

Diamond Voodoo 2 8 MB. I could run Quake 2 at 1024 x 768! It was absolutely amazing.

Diamond viper v770 Geforce 2 gts was first card i ever purchased to upgrade from a leadtek RIVA TNT2 ultra which came in the first pc i ever actually purchased (already built).....course had been using friends pcs with voodoo's well before i got my own. looking back i cant believe how long it took me to buy amd/ati cards....just goes to show marketing

S3 Virge, had nothing but troubles with it. Got smart and bought a Voodoo 1.

Still remeber loading Quake 2/Unreal and just being amazed by what I saw.

Hercules 3Dfx Voodoo RUSH 8MB
got it for Pod and Quake

aN8fXD0l.jpg

KAK6Aszl.jpg

Last edited:
ATI Rage followed a few years later by Matrox Mystique.

Voodoo 3 PCI was my first If I think I can recall. After that was a Hercules Geforce 2 MX.

3DFX Voodoo Rush. Intense 3D.
6MXl7iq.jpg

First game played Turok. Then I discovered this thing called Quake and it was game over.

Back