What was the last game you got lost (engrossed) in?

Oblivion for me. I'm still engrossed in it to this day and I bought it when it was first released. Fallout3 just never pulled me in the same way as Oblivion did and I expect that is due to finding the environment in Oblivion more interesting than a post apocalypse wasteland.

For me it was Fallout 3. New Vegas was too linear (if you don't go where they want you to you'll be killed by Deathclaws and Cazadores) to truly offer the same level of escapism. With normal Fallout 3, you could literally wander and pick up almost any quest given to you without fear, and there was just so much stuff to do.
I also really enjoyed Assassin's Creed 2, Fable 2 (I haven't messed with 3 yet), and all things Dragon Age.

There have been many, but the last one? I just picked up BF: BC2 a couple of weeks ago and once I started the SP campaign it I couldn't put it down until I finished it. And yes, I know multi is the reason most people play that game but the SP was really fun!

Before that, probably Just Cause 2. I dumped nearly 60 hours into the SP campaign on that game and finally put it down due to the tedium of trying to get 100% on everything after I beat the game.

Other mentions: GTA III/VC/SA, Half-Life 1 and 2 (even though I never finished HL1 :(), Brothers in Arms, Portal, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Saint's Row 2, Resident Evil 1 and 2 on PSX, etc.

Dragon Age has really sucked my coworker in for 2 or 3 play-throughs, but I've yet to tackle that one.

Just wanted to say I'm back into Mass Effect 2, and goddamn ... is this the best game in the past 10 years?

Just wanted to say I'm back into Mass Effect 2, and goddamn ... is this the best game in the past 10 years?
So many people (including me!) totally agree. I personally prefer less-linear games, but not enough that I can't appreciate such a well-crafted, streamlined game. I enjoyed every minute of it thoroughly.

No. Maybe 3 will take that crown, if they use the best of 1 and the foundation of 2. And I played ME2 for about 10 straight hours after getting it.

Speaking of, Portal is right up there, though not cinematic like HL2. I played Portal and lost track of time, loving it.

I spent about 9600 hours on Everquest. Now I tend to stick to single player games or multiplayer fps.

Wow man, that's over one year of your life sitting in Everquest.... I hope for the sake of mankind that you left it online AFK a lot. :D

StarTopia on my laptop during boring/easy classes in college that I didn't need to pay attn to...

Pretty tough game towards the end.... I get raped by the opposing rush of aliens every time. They hack into and overtake my damn base every time!!

The final fantasy games usually do it to me. The most engrossed i've ever been had to be FFX though. I loved that one.

Great game. My buddy and I took turns and played through that one. Good times.

Gonna have to say RDR here, Dragon age right before that but definitely RDR as the last one that really pulled me in.

So many people (including me!) totally agree. I personally prefer less-linear games, but not enough that I can't appreciate such a well-crafted, streamlined game. I enjoyed every minute of it thoroughly.

Great game, but the ending "boss fight" was so over-the-top cheez-tastic I don't think I'll ever get the taste out of my mouth. I have an image of a bitchy game producer looking over the designers shoulders saying "make it bigger, make it more awesome... yeah! now add a laser to its eyeballs! People are gonna eat this shit up!". Completely ruined an otherwise excellent game imo.

Last edited:
Gonna have to say RDR here, Dragon age right before that but definitely RDR as the last one that really pulled me in.

Before ME2, RDR was one of the few games that really sucked me in .. deep. Marsden is my favorite protagonist ever ... and thats an easy decision for me.

Wow man, that's over one year of your life sitting in Everquest.... I hope for the sake of mankind that you left it online AFK a lot. :D

Sadly, nope. Not much afk, that was all on one character too... (we won't talk about alts) I'm a much more "casual" gamer these days.

I would say Demon's Souls. Talk about total addiction. I finally got burned out from it in the spring after putting in 210 hours. I think I am finally ready to get back in to it and see if I can Plantinum it. I have been gaming for over 30 years and for me it's the greatest video game I have ever played.

I would say Demon's Souls. Talk about total addiction. I finally got burned out from it in the spring after putting in 210 hours. I think I am finally ready to get back in to it and see if I can Plantinum it. I have been gaming for over 30 years and for me it's the greatest video game I have ever played.

I keep hearing so many good things about this game. For shame, I do not own a PS3 (and probably never will) but a friend of mine just bought it. I have to go watch...

I'm not going to count WoW since I've basically been engrossed in that for quite a long time now. Like many others, I'd say Mass Effect 2 is the most recent game I've really gotten into. There is something about the whole ME universe that I just LOVE. I can't really put my finger on any one thing because I think the overall combination everything that they put into that universe is beautiful. It's one of the very few games where I've actually felt emotionally attached to the characters and events. A++ game for sure. Definitely in my personal top 3 games ever (which are all so close in my mind that they are basically interchangable).

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind when I first got my Xbox. I logged ATLEAST 500 hours on that game....

Planescape: Torment was definitely one I played intensively... it was in the basement, wintertime, and I would forget I was cold and stop playing, shivering.

curious as to why

I change. The last game I got engrossed in was GT5, over the weekend. Couldn't stop playing.

Probably Rage... even though I was just watching the video demos... :)

perhaps, like doom 3, it won't be as "engrossing" in person when it finally comes out :(

The last game I was completely absorbed with was Dragon Age Origins. Loved that game to death. Before that would probably be Persona 4, mostly due to be PS3 eating my PS2 save files at 90+ hours of gameplay, then having to start all over from scratch.

Gran Turismo 5

Im one of those players who is all about collecting or having everything. SP FPS games, I play to get all the guns, RPG games I play to get the best items.
Just look at games these days, its all driven by "achievements"
Browser games, like farmville or other crap like that is all about having the most or the next unlock.

Gran Turismo for me has always been a process of working towards obtaining something. I love the shit outta that game. GT5 gets me anytime the TV is available.

I got sucked into F:NV for a couple weeks, totalling something like 65 hours. Thankfully I beat it (well, completed the quest line), so I can study for finals.

Other than that, I keep going back to Napoleon Total War. I hate MP, though. Everyone's like, "No arty", and then I get some high level horsemen rammed up my ass.

Me2 here as well.

Fable 2 is kinda doing it, but not as well.

Also, ME1 was a LITTLE better than ME2 in this regard.

Eve online... started about 7 months ago and mostly enjoy the managing and planning of a corp. Speaking of which... we are recruiting 10 new members for vivaldi corp if anyone wants to apply!

Not sure, Medieval 2 Total War: Stainless Steel really takes my hours away, great mod and a lot of fun.

The three ME's- Mass effect 1+2 and Mirrors Edge. Mass Effect has a way of making 2 hours feel like 10 minutes. Mirrors Edge made me feel l something in the pit of my stomach.

starcraft 2... I grinded sc2 campaign for 2 days until i had all the campaign achievements lmao

Left4Dead. The original just had something about it that sucked me in and made it irresistible ... probably all those damned zombie films I've watched and loved over the years. I guess I logged about 200 hours on it between single player and multiplayer in the first 3-4 months after its release. And that's a lot for a 40+ y/o guy with a career and a kid.

The second one, though technically superior in every way, just didn't "get" me like L4D1 did. Maybe it's the daytime settings not being as foreboding and scary, or not digging the characters as much or something, but I've probably only spent 50-60 hours playing L4D2. Too damned bad, because that game looks great and performs wonderfully on my system.

I've played a lot of Battlefield BC2 online with my buddy (already pre-purchased the 'Nam expansion and waiting for Friday to play). I think I'm about 125 hrs into it, but killing people is just not quite as engrossing as killing zombies.

I feel the same way with the 2 l4d's. Definitely the characters...it feels cartoony, not scary.

Back