What was the last game you got lost (engrossed) in?

For me, Red Dead. I spent days (in game time) riding my horse, shooting random wildlife, and saving strangeres from the bad guys. I really have not connected with a player character as much as I did with John Marston. He was a bad dude, a bad enough dude to save the president...

Mine sweeper is very engrossing. I can never find where the bombs are.

Last edited:
Well after last night I can add Metro 2033 to the list of engrossing games.

Batman: AA. Just recently started playing it, I'm completely engrossed in it right now. The game just oozes atmosphere, moreso than any other recent game that I've played, and there's a ton of things to do with high replayability value. While I'm a year late to the party (har har har), it would get my vote for 2010 GOTY.

^^ that. Not since Bioshock did I play a game to completion in a few days. Playing on a 260 216 w/ high details and physx was a mighty painful experience though. :(

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. Seriously. Even now, I play through it occasionally. I haven't really found a game made more recently that I considered engrossing. Maybe Crysis (kind of), but not much else.

For me, Red Dead. I spent days (in game time) riding my horse, shooting random wildlife, and saving strangeres from the bad guys. I really have not connected with a player character as much as I did with John Marston. He was a bad dude, a bad enough dude to SPOILER DUDE!

:SS

Now I actually remember the most engrossing game for me, Peter Jackson's King Kong on the GameCube. I beat it the day after I got it. Also the Zelda-games on GC were a huge timesink.

Modern warfare 2....haha. Played it from the time of its release until the time Black Ops came out. never played a game that long.

L4D, the L4D 2 and now Metro 2033. Just got a few games off Steam, but I suspect that Fallout 3 GotY will make me forget everything else until New Vegas is cheap enough to pick up off Steam. :D

Super Mario RPG, played that game all summer in 1997, probably a few hundred hours at least :eek:

then I got final fantasy 7 and lived on that game just about for most of 1998-1999, put like 400 hours into it

In 2003-2004 I played waaay to much Civilization II, it was like digital crack

then came CS1.6 which I still play occasionally played it from 2004 up till 2006 a few hours a day while I was at home

Then came WoW, logged 1003 DAYS played across six years since early betas, yes 24k hours or almost three years...

For most of 2010 I've been playing Left4Dead one and two, add metro 2033 to the list too

Last edited:
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. Seriously. Even now, I play through it occasionally. I haven't really found a game made more recently that I considered engrossing.

I agree with this. I was let down by conviction. :(

Lufia II
Chrono Trigger
Pokemon Red
Zelda: OoT, MM and TP

Twilight Princess was the last game I got obsessed with, played and finished it with a friend while I was visiting him in Canada a few years ago. It was fun :D

A good FPS will get me for the 6 - 8 hours it takes to beat them. Metro 2033 was the last one.

I got so into Mass Effect 2 that I went and bought ME1 just so I can go through the trilogy with the one character. Go FemShep!

Fallout 3, I don't want to know how many hours that thing ate. New Vegas not so much.

Before that it was GTA Vice City, I had every alleyway, gap & jump in there memorised.

I've avoided WOW at all costs, it is the eater of lives.

I agree with this. I was let down by conviction. :(

x2.

I think Chaos Theory was the series' high point. Double Agent for Xbox Original/Wii (not the turd that came out for the current gen/PC) came close in terms of mechanics but the piss poor graphics and lack of a Spy vs. Merc. gave it some pretty bad marks IMO. Conviction is a good game on its own, but I don't consider it to be a proper Splinter Cell sequel.

Now for me, the last game I've gotten engrossed in was Just Cause 2. I don't really care for the main story or the voice acting (the main character sounds awfully like Ren Höek), but just venturing around the big ass map via grapple and parachute is almost mesmerizing. Also, grappling a car/plane/scooter to a jet or a heli, then releasing at 6,000ft altitude never gets old. :D

Lets just say that not any one game but the entire battle.net took over my life for a few years. Since then nothing else even comes close to the amount of hours blizzard took from my life. (never played WoW)

I just played through F.E.A.R. for the first time last weekend, lots of fun. The sound in that game is great, really adds to the tension and creepyness of it. It made me flinch in genuine surprise a few times, I don't remember that happening since the first Resident Evil when the dogs jump in through the window for the first time, haha.

I just played through F.E.A.R. for the first time last weekend, lots of fun. The sound in that game is great, really adds to the tension and creepyness of it. It made me flinch in genuine surprise a few times, I don't remember that happening since the first Resident Evil when the dogs jump in through the window for the first time, haha.

That was my experience playing F.E.A.R. as well. Even playing it on god mode (because I'm a huge wuss) I nearly died from terror a few times. Best use of atmosphere I have seen in a while. Maybe Amnesia: The Descent is scarier, but I'm afraid to try it after Yahtzee's review of it. I do like my heart to not give out on me any time soon :D

I'm currently into Disciples II + expansions. I'm not so sure if I really like it, or it's just addictive.

The Witcher, then New Vegas before that, ME2 before that, all he Stalker games, and Arkham Asylum is almost there now. I tend to get a bit compulsive about games that have sidequests/objectives and can't help but go for 100% completion.

WoW, but thats designed to be engrossing/addicting...so I'll say BF1942 the last greatest exclusive PC game to advance gaming as we know it. Sadly it's regressed since. Better graphics yes but gameplay no. What do we see over the past couple years, modern weaponry and foot combat on small maps...yay...:\ I want my vehicles and huge maps and dedicated servers again...

Last one I TRULY got lost in? Probably Daggerfall or EQ1. Other games have come and gone that have been awesome and I have been really into, but those are really the last ones that really truly got me lost in their worlds.

Then came WoW, logged 1003 DAYS played across six years since early betas, yes 24k hours or almost three years...

Wow..That is unbelieveable. I mean, I guess any person who has a really involved hobby will spend a similar amount of time on that hobby, but that's just a heck of a lot of time.

WoW, but thats designed to be engrossing/addicting...so I'll say BF1942 the last greatest exclusive PC game to advance gaming as we know it. Sadly it's regressed since. Better graphics yes but gameplay no. What do we see over the past couple years, modern weaponry and foot combat on small maps...yay...:\ I want my vehicles and huge maps and dedicated servers again...

Completely, 1000% agree. They seriously need to remake 1942 and put 64+ player maps back into the games.

Diablo 2 @ Nvision 08

We were trying to set the Guiness World Record for Longest & Largest Lan Party and one of the games my friends and I played was Diablo 2. When we finished the 1st act I was still under the impression that it was Tuesday when it was well into Wednesday.

Did you get the Guiness World Record?

More importantly; did you spend more than a day clearing act 1? :p

In the last week I completed Half life 1, HF2 episode 1 and now working on episode 2 =D

What was the last game that sort of made you forget reality and really let you get engrossed in the world?

Most recently for me it was Two Worlds 2.

I would say Dragon Age Origins which I played a few months ago.

Back