What was the fastest AGP card ever released?

This is the fastest AGP card ever.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg217/CraftyMan_/bf3d2000.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

That's actually PCI. ;)
But still, fastest PCI card [I]evah[/I]!!! :D

...and nvm, just realized this thread is from 2011.
Good times!

I think the 3850 is a little faster than the 7950 but I'm partial to Nvidia.
Currently I have the HIS HD 4670 in my AGP machine. But I will likely be going back to the GT7950. I like the GT7950 better than any of the ATI stuff. it just seems to run smoother (even if it is slower).

The 7950 GT is not just slower, but support for games is vastly different. The 7950 GT is a DirectX 9 card. The 4670 and 3850 are DirectX 10.1, which will play most DirectX 11 games (using feature level 10_1). That might not matter depending on what games you are actually trying to play, and of course if you are still using XP on that box you will be limited to DX9 regardless. Still, if you are using something like Win7 (or newer) and want to at least have a chance at being able to play modern games, a 4670/3850, or even a 4650 are about the only choices you have.

What.. no one wants a GF5 6000?

GF5%206000%20dually%20joke_zpsdr6f4map.jpg

-or-

Radeon 8500Maxxx??

Radeon%208500Maxx_zpsdbscnhit.jpg

Sorry for the thread crap.. nostalgia jokes got the better of me. Been eyeballing the AMD 486DX4-120 Box in my garage. :p

Reckon an ATi X800XT PE would keep most cards here pretty honest. If you could find one.. X800XT was more available though.. have a 'gigabyte' BBA one for the 'wall of shame' but it still works.

Back in the AGP days i had a Ti 4200 128 MB card. I want to go back in time and play rogue spear and black thorn along with RTCW since last time i tried to play RTCW on win7 it was bugged as hell, i couldn't get past a certain level. Also wanting to play soldier of fortune 2 and battlefield 1942.

The closest thing i have to an old pc is an athlon 64 2.6 ghz dual core with a pcie slot and a nvidia 210 which is a little more modern than a retro rig i'd like to get going.

Could you guys give me a brief breakdown of top tier gpu's from the Ti 4600 and 9700PRO to the point where AGP became obsolete in favor of PCIE? I got out of pc gaming when i got a PS2 so I missed out on all the play by play updates.

Sadly my Ti 4200 is dead and I'm not sure if i want to stink up the house by putting it in the oven.

Back in the AGP days i had a Ti 4200 128 MB card. I want to go back in time and play rogue spear and black thorn along with RTCW since last time i tried to play RTCW on win7 it was bugged as hell, i couldn't get past a certain level. Also wanting to play soldier of fortune 2 and battlefield 1942.

The closest thing i have to an old pc is an athlon 64 2.6 ghz dual core with a pcie slot and a nvidia 210 which is a little more modern than a retro rig i'd like to get going.

Could you guys give me a brief breakdown of top tier gpu's from the Ti 4600 and 9700PRO to the point where AGP became obsolete in favor of PCIE? I got out of pc gaming when i got a PS2 so I missed out on all the play by play updates.

Sadly my Ti 4200 is dead and I'm not sure if i want to stink up the house by putting it in the oven.

The 6800u and x800xt were the last of the top tier mainstream AGP cards that I can remember. Correct me if I'm wrong, but everything then onwards, was top tier PCI-E and stripped down legacy AGP versions released later on. They were the last of the top AGP cards from what I experienced.

After driver maturity (oh god I miss the awesome omegas...) the x800xt took the crown from the 6800u across the board, in typical ATi/AMD fashion.

I'm in a similar ballpark to you. I'd love to get my retrogaming box up and running again! Opteron [email protected], DFi NF3 Ultra-D, 1gb hand matched Corsair XMS LL, X800XT, oh the memories :) That box could crank 1080p/60 via source engine no problems.

Last edited:
I'm new to this forum so if it's not OK to link to Craigslist please forgive me.

This guy is selling some old cards

1. Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT OC BFG
2. Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS OC BFG
3. AMD Radeon HD 7570 1.5GB
4. Unknown ATi Radeon video card

http://savannah.craigslist.org/sop/5353043888.html

What are these cards worth individually?

While price checks aren't usually allowed outside of our paid Gen-MAy forum, I think if it were me I wouldn't offer him more then $50, and that's being generous buying HW of that era untested..The "dvd" drives are junk and a usb floppy is $5 max..

3. AMD Radeon HD 7570 1.5GB

Proof the seller is a fucking idiot. Not even worth your time. I mean, what the hell else did they not properly label?

AMD has NEVER released a non-factor-of-two bus architecture video card. That's entirely Nvidia's area of expertise, beginning with the 8800 GTX.

I bought an AGP 3850 in preparation for Fallout 3.

That WAS the fastest card. Then the 4670 popped up.

Course depending on who you asked, most believed the 3850 was the faster of the two because its wider bus.

So yeah, like one of the other posters said: 3850/4670 was as good as it got.

yea but does the 4670 have drivers issues with 98 era games? IIRC I thought I even had issues with 9600Pro or whatever with some 98 games I.E original C&C and aftermath. Or was that because I was on maybe too new of an OS? This was like 15 years ago so i am having a hard time remembering.

Can OP edit first post to either remove the confusion or break down to 2 categories where you have 98 vs 2000/XP games?

I remember my 9600PRO had issues with running Diablo 3 at high frame rate. I thought that was becuase of drivers. Is that an issue with glide? Is that where the glide wrapper comes in? IIRC diablo 3 ran like butter smooth on a 3dfx card.

The 7950 GT is not just slower, but support for games is vastly different. The 7950 GT is a DirectX 9 card. The 4670 and 3850 are DirectX 10.1, which will play most DirectX 11 games (using feature level 10_1). That might not matter depending on what games you are actually trying to play, and of course if you are still using XP on that box you will be limited to DX9 regardless. Still, if you are using something like Win7 (or newer) and want to at least have a chance at being able to play modern games, a 4670/3850, or even a 4650 are about the only choices you have.

Very good advice. Also - I've found through personal experience, that newer games, even if they're DX9 only, still were written in mind for allocatable-shader cards, like the DX10 cards.

I played Sonic All Star racing on two old boxes for giggles:

Box #1 - Pentium 4, Radeon HD-3450, 2 GB RAM.
Box #2 - Athlon 64 , GeForce 6600, 2 GB RAM.

Which one won? Box 1. Its Radeon HD-3450 had allocatable shader units, and not fixed pixel and vertex shaders. My guess is that the GeForce 6600 crapped out in the vertex shader department, where it only had three of those guys. Radeon HD-3450 had 40 shaders at its disposal and could arrange them according to the work load. The difference was MASSIVE. Stutter-fest on the GeForce and not-such-a-stutter-fest on the Radeon. Radeon was borderline playable. GeForce was nowhere near playable.

Same two boxes, going back to Medal of Honor - Allied Assault... Box 2 won. More TMU's and the game was written with the limitations of fixed-shaders in mind. GeForce 6600 walked all over it.

The 6800u and x800xt were the last of the top tier mainstream AGP cards that I can remember. Correct me if I'm wrong, but everything then onwards, was top tier PCI-E and stripped down legacy AGP versions released later on. They were the last of the top AGP cards from what I experienced.

After driver maturity (oh god I miss the awesome omegas...) the x800xt took the crown from the 6800u across the board, in typical ATi/AMD fashion.

Until you played Doom 3 ; )
and actually, the 6 series fared quite well, against the X800's. There were just a few games, where ATI had a clear win. but they couldn't touch Nvidia in OpenGL. Trading blows, so to speak.

the 6 series also had Shader model 3.0. the X800 series, only had 2.0. So later games would actually display more visual effects on the 6 series.

I think we have one of these 6800 non ultras sitting on a shelf, somewhere:
http://www.gpureview.com/database/images/cards/178/large/nvidia-geforce-6800-agp-1.jpg

I will look for it and let you know. I thiiiiink its a Sapphire brand. And those were rumored to guarantee that the 6th vertex shader could be unlocked, for better performance. But this card was my stepdads and he never tried it.

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
Until you played Doom 3 ; )
and actually, the 6 series fared quite well, against the X800's. There were just a few games, where ATI had a clear win. but they couldn't touch Nvidia in OpenGL. Trading blows, so to speak.

the 6 series also had Shader model 3.0. the X800 series, only had 2.0. So later games would actually display more visual effects on the 6 series.

I think we have one of these 6800 non ultras sitting on a shelf, somewhere:
http://www.gpureview.com/database/images/cards/178/large/nvidia-geforce-6800-agp-1.jpg

I will look for it and let you know. I thiiiiink its a Sapphire brand. And those were rumored to guarantee that the 6th vertex shader could be unlocked, for better performance. But this card was my stepdads and he never tried it.

You're right, 6800u was the card for doom. I couldn't run ultra 1024x768 due to not enough VRAM on the X800XT :( Same today on OGL with Nvidia but we all know how Vulkan has changed that. Got me a little worried for No Mans Sky as it's OGL too..

The 6800u did well, it was close but once you threw the later omegas or general driver progression on top, the x800 would typically pull a win on average in majority of situations. Launch benchmarks do not show this so well obviously and mostly angle towards 6800u. Same sort of thing today with the 290x (especially AIB) vs competition + 7970 etc.

I do remember the Sm3.0 issue, from memory it only really became an issue when the cards were already ageing quite a bit. Bit like waiting for DX12 with a 7970... but still a valid point.

Still have the X800XT around, will either make a retro box or a GPU wall of shame/fame including it when I get off my ass. Typically never get rid of my old GPUs, other than TNT2 and 6970 DCUII.

That 6800 pic is quite funny seeing it today - fan is almost back the front compared to modern designs. Very cool. Back when passive GPUs were actually rather possible in high end :D

Proof the seller is a fucking idiot. Not even worth your time. I mean, what the hell else did they not properly label?

AMD has NEVER released a non-factor-of-two bus architecture video card. That's entirely Nvidia's area of expertise, beginning with the 8800 GTX.
What about the 7950, 7970, and 280X? They all had a 384-bit bus with 3GB of memory.

Almost 5 years later and glide wrapper is not perfect, hold on to your voodoo cards they will only go up in value
^^ very prophetic. Anyone look at what 3dfx cards are fetching these days? Voodoo 5 regularly sell for over $200 on feeBay.

Must be a lot of people wanting fastest cards for their retro AGP slot gaming rigs. Cards like 7800 and 4970 are fetching high prices too.

^^ very prophetic. Anyone look at what 3dfx cards are fetching these days? Voodoo 5 regularly sell for over $200 on feeBay.

Must be a lot of people wanting fastest cards for their retro AGP slot gaming rigs. Cards like 7800 and 4970 are fetching high prices too.

Are they? I have a 4970x2 sitting here collecting dust...

I remember being forced to use AGP cards from the simple fact all new hardware was giving me problem with my eyes mainly. I couldnt' upgrade to LCD monitors cause those made me black out. Untill led lcd monitors came out in 2010

I remember being forced to use AGP cards from the simple fact all new hardware was giving me problem with my eyes mainly. I couldnt' upgrade to LCD monitors cause those made me black out. Untill led lcd monitors came out in 2010
huh? LCD is easier on the eyes even PWM brightness ones are easier than CRT. PWM brightness isn't good but its even easier than CRT.

CRT back light vs LED is really no different either. Sorry but i am calling BS

Not the fastest AGP card, but I LOVED the X800XT PE (better known as the phantom edition around these parts back in the day :p)

The x800 series was amds last win98 card with drives. I keep one and the 6800 from nvidia in my retro rig just for that reason

Back