What was/is your Cisco cert path?

dje

n00b
What was/is your Cisco cert path? How did you do it?

I am testing for CCNA in a few weeks after spending years in a different technical field. (EE by education.) It's mostly a personal challenge at this point, to learn something new. Back in the day I would fix computers for gas money and work on home networks for fun, but IT didn't become my first career.

Is R+S most popular because it is generalized? I will probably go this route, but I have questions in my head like: Does anybody take CCIE Security seriously over CISSP?

TIA

just speaking of my cisco certs...for me it was ccent >ccna > ccna-security > i guess the next step is CCNP..but i haven't really had the desire to go down that path yet..maybe if my work pays for it or something

yeah, i'd say R & S is probably the most popular. Also, i think when recruiters or employers see CCIE, they know..tha you know your shit. I've worked in jobs (government IT jobs, where according to the contracts, certain people had to obtain their CISSP by a certain date; and these people were not technical at all. I doubt they ever passed it. CISSP is an awesome cert to have, but CCIE has some balls to it too. Just my .02 cents

CCNA > CCNA Security > ???

I want to go CCSP, but there are NO books/study guides/lab manuals out there right now that I can find so I'm kinda leaning toward CCNP. Plus it's a little cheaper lab gear wise. Where I can get away with 3 switches and 5 routers for CCNP, I'd need to pick up a PIX and/or ASA, and a VPN Concentrator for the CCSP on top of the others

I did CCNA -> (tons of minor cisco voice certs) -> then CCVP -> now CCIE Voice :)

ccent > ccna > ccna: v > ccnp > ccip > ccda > ccdp (finishing this week, hopefully)

Next is the CCIE.

CCENT > CCNA > CCNA Wireless > CCVP (working on now)

CISSP is laughable compared to CCIE security IMO. In terms of difficulty, the CISSP is easier. The CISSP goes over information security as a whole with lots of theory and it's geared towards the management side of things.

Wow, thanks for the great replies. I have some pondering to do.

CCNA - > CCNA Voice then hang for a while until the three years is up and re-up with another cert.. I want to cert VMware after voice.

Back